And we're back!

Main Menu

Steak help! Calling all Americans

Started by Martinus, March 10, 2010, 10:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 10, 2010, 11:11:42 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 10, 2010, 10:22:39 AM
I am ordering a steak from an American restaurant. They offer sauces: wild mushroom butter, cajun cream sauce or demi glaze. Which to choose??????????

I suppose most Americans will dislike cajun as it was used by former French settlers in Louisiana, and no American will ever order anything just 'demi' (sounds incomplete), so I suspect they'd go with wild mushrooms if nothing else.

So have you ever been to the US or do you just watch old Soviet TV that Portugese television buys on the cheap?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

cajun cream sauce makes reference in its name to one of the confederacy's protected ethnic groups; it is the proper choice.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Syt

You order it rare, no sauce, some garlic butter. If it's been properly marinated you won't need that, either.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on March 10, 2010, 11:13:25 AM
I am ordering a steak from an American restaurant. They offer sauces: wild mushroom butter, cajun cream sauce or demi glaze. Which to choose??????????

I suppose most Americans will dislike cajun as it was used by former French settlers in Louisiana, and no American will ever order anything just 'demi' (sounds incomplete), so I suspect they'd go with wild mushrooms if nothing else.

So have you ever been to the US or do you just watch old Soviet TV that Portugese television buys on the cheap?

The Popeye's chicken chain is going to be sad to hear about that Cajun dislike.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 10, 2010, 11:15:11 AM
cajun cream sauce makes reference in its name to one of the confederacy's protected ethnic groups; it is the proper choice.

What were the other protected ethnic groups?

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 10, 2010, 11:21:52 AM

I want Popeye's over here. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 10, 2010, 11:31:30 AM

Plantation owners.

Razgovory

Eskimos, Japanese cat-girls and bugbears.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on March 10, 2010, 11:32:26 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 10, 2010, 11:21:52 AM

I want Popeye's over here. :(

:console:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on March 10, 2010, 11:38:16 AM

Mew.

What about kobolds?

crazy canuck

When you hear them offer those sauces get up and go to a real steak house.

Admiral Yi

I suppose most Americans will dislike cajun as it was used by former French settlers in Louisiana
Please tell me you're joking. :huh:

A couple years back US restaurants went through a cajun blackened craze.  Blackened chicken, blackened steak, blackened fish, everything on the menu was blackened.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2010, 11:40:37 AM
I suppose most Americans will dislike cajun as it was used by former French settlers in Louisiana
Please tell me you're joking. :huh:

A couple years back US restaurants went through a cajun blackened craze.  Blackened chicken, blackened steak, blackened fish, everything on the menu was blackened.

Same in Canada.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 10, 2010, 11:39:44 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 10, 2010, 11:38:16 AM

Mew.

What about kobolds?

We are only including fictional species!

Martim Silva

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2010, 11:40:37 AM

I'm not very serious, but... how many lawsuits were created by those menus? I can think of many African-americans getting offended by so many 'black'-ened things on the menu...