Why is Madonna getting so much hate for chain-adopting?

Started by Martinus, April 07, 2009, 12:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

This is the same logic that has the people condemn the US for toppling Saddam only because they are not at the same time tackling other regimes.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 07, 2009, 01:44:14 PM
Who's Madonna?

Madonna doesn't cut herself, whine in her songs or dress totally in black clothes. Therefore, she is invisible to Gay Fox.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 07, 2009, 01:49:47 PM
Who's Madonna?

Madonna doesn't cut herself, whine in her songs or dress totally in black clothes. Therefore, she is invisible to Gay Fox.
:D

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 07, 2009, 01:49:29 PM
This is the same logic that has the people condemn the US for toppling Saddam only because they are not at the same time tackling other regimes.

That is what haters do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on April 07, 2009, 01:42:49 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 07, 2009, 12:58:30 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 07, 2009, 12:46:56 PM
See, you are an idiot. First of all, Madonna is hardly a has-been - she has been the "in now" for longer than anyone else.
Remember:  Gays aren't everything.
Gays are everything that counts.
And that's your mistake, and why you cannot be counted upon to properly judge culture.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

If only we were all so lucky.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Who's Madonna?

Doh!  Zing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Who's Madonna?

Ah to be old and angry :console:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 07, 2009, 01:55:41 PM
Who's Madonna?

Ah to be old and angry :console:

Feels great.  :menace:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

vinraith

Better question: Why has Madonna gotten anything but hate since she ceased to be dimly relevant in the early 90's?

Norgy

Quote from: Martinus on April 07, 2009, 01:49:29 PM

Yes.
So now that you know why people hate Madonna's adoptions, I suggest you make your peace with the fact that there's a vast spectrum of opinions out there, regardless of the issue and focus on things you can actually do something about.  :P

Neil

Quote from: vinraith on April 07, 2009, 01:58:21 PM
Better question: Why has Madonna gotten anything but hate since she ceased to be dimly relevant in the early 90's?
Didn't she have a pop revival in the late 90s?

Still, she gets shit for much the same reason that Michael Jackson does:  Creepy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

KRonn

Quote from: Norgy on April 07, 2009, 01:47:22 PM

I think you may have described the reasons for the "hate". Some people find Madonna's adoptions morally questionable and less than good deeds. If Madonna really wanted to help, she wouldn't abduct little Mbombo Tmubmokekeke from his surroundings in Eastern Ebolaland, but rather invest heavily in his education and the social fabric around him in his native country.

Then again, all charity basically serves to make people feel good, and personally, I couldn't care less about Madonna's adoptions. However, for some people, the ones left behind are more important than little Mbombo who was SAVED by the grace of The Virgin-Like.
There may be some truth in this, as to what some people might feel. I'm a bit surprised by the anger directed at Madonna, and I'm no fan of hers. I don't know what her motives are; maybe she is doing it for some self-gratification but she's still trying to do a good thing. I guess, or assume, that people in the community where the child comes from don't want to see the kid leave? They may feel that could happen, or already is happening, to many of their children, and would rather the kids remain in their own culture? Maybe they don't like the idea of someone so wealthy being able to dictate things?

Norgy

Quote from: KRonn on April 07, 2009, 02:10:07 PM
Maybe they don't like the idea of someone so wealthy being able to dictate things?

I think this may be the basic objection, then it is concealed by a veneer of anti-imperialism.

Tamas

I think the main reason is the fact that she is not the first celebrity to chain-adopt. And buying a kid like a piece of classy clothing is disgusting.