And we're back!

Main Menu

Mormons and Science Fiction

Started by jimmy olsen, March 08, 2010, 07:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on March 09, 2010, 01:37:52 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2010, 01:16:28 PM
In fact, he is a deeper and more interesting author and historical character when one knows about his flaws.

In your opinion. :)
Of course.  That goes without saying. :)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2010, 02:26:01 PM
Of course.  That goes without saying. :)

Not when you say "In fact". :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2010, 01:16:28 PMIn fact, he is a deeper and more interesting author and historical character when one knows about his flaws.

You have certainly displayed your own depth and interest as a historical character in this thread.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on March 09, 2010, 02:28:40 PM
Not when you say "In fact". :(
Of course when I say "in fact."  That is a statement of opinion about the reality of something.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2010, 02:48:47 PM
Of course when I say "in fact."  That is a statement of opinion about the reality of something.

But it isn't the truth. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on March 09, 2010, 02:44:27 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2010, 01:16:28 PMIn fact, he is a deeper and more interesting author and historical character when one knows about his flaws.

You have certainly displayed your own depth and interest as a historical character in this thread.
Well, I have read his letters and a biography of him, so perhaps I am more aware of the flaws in his character than are those who merely read his works.

I don't see why anyone would get upset with my pointing out that there are British people other than the English, even though some Englishmen make it sound as though that was not true.

Though i am not sure what "I" have to do with this issue in particular.  Mine is a purely intellectual position, which would be held, I think, by anyone possessing the knowledge that I possess.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on March 09, 2010, 02:49:39 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2010, 02:48:47 PM

But it isn't the truth. :(
It isn't true that this is my opinion?  :(

Didn't know that.  :Embarrass:

What is my opinion, then?

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2010, 03:02:25 PM
It isn't true that this is my opinion?  :(

Didn't know that.  :Embarrass:

What is my opinion, then?

I'm not sure. Whatever it is, though, it is likely to be horrible. :(

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2010, 03:00:43 PM
I don't see why anyone would get upset with my pointing out that there are British people other than the English, even though some Englishmen make it sound as though that was not true.

No one really cared.

grumbler

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2010, 03:09:04 PM
Malthus and Jake are not no one.  :cool:

I meant about your insight. We found it irrelevant and tedious.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on March 09, 2010, 03:33:55 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2010, 03:09:04 PM
Malthus and Jake are not no one.  :cool:

I meant about your insight. We found it irrelevant and tedious.
I was not aiming my comments at either you or the mouse in your pocket, so feel free to spare yourself the time necessary to provide the feedback.  :hug:

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2010, 03:37:06 PM
I was not aiming my comments at either you or the mouse in your pocket, so feel free to spare yourself the time necessary to provide the feedback.  :hug:

I've only keys in my pocket. :)

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on March 09, 2010, 03:37:54 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2010, 03:37:06 PM

I've only keys in my pocket. :)
Sorry to hear that.  I have keys, cash, and all kinds of good stuff in mine.

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2010, 03:39:03 PM
Sorry to hear that.  I have keys, cash, and all kinds of good stuff in mine.

I left my wallet at home. :shrugs: