Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I leave it to posters wittier than I to take advantage of this. -_-

http://mormontimes.com/arts_entertainment/books/?id=13326

Mormons like science fiction and fantasy -- symposium at BYU
By Rodger L. Hardy
Deseret News
Saturday, Feb. 13, 2010

PROVO, Utah -- Science fiction and fantasy stories are popular among readers who are also members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as demonstrated by statistical evidence, a panel of writers and editors said Friday.

The panelists expressed their opinions on why so many Mormon authors are writing in the genre, at the 28th annual Life, the Universe and Everything 28: Marion K. Smith Symposium on Science Fiction & Fantasy, a three-day conference at Brigham Young University.

Book sales of that kind of fiction are disproportionately higher in Utah than other states, fiction writer Brandon Sanderson said. Additionally many of the LDS fiction writers are from Utah.

"We're reading it a lot, so there will be more writers," he said.

Sanderson was one of four panelists at a symposium "Why Mormons and Fantasy" that explored the explosion of successful young LDS writers in the genre.

While Utah is rich in science fiction and fantasy interest, other religions oppose it.

Sanderson described the Bible Belt as a wasteland for that kind of fiction, except for the larger cities. A published science fiction and fantasy author, Sanderson also teaches a section of creative writing at BYU.

"If I tell you it's not true, then I can have as much fun with it as I want," panelist and author Laura Bingham said. Bingham recently published her first novel, "Alvor."

Mormons are not threatened by it because it jells with the religion's teachings that God created and populated many worlds, Sanderson said. It allows writers to "play god" while world-building in fiction.

Fantasy writers C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien are not well-accepted by other faiths, "which shocked me," while Lewis is often quoted by Mormon general authorities, Sanderson said. Also, the LDS culture is one of education, which produces a plethora of readers.

"They tend to gravitate to science fiction," he said.

Science fiction gives LDS authors an opportunity to discuss their values, good and evil and the result of choices, Lisa Mangum, a book editor with Deseret Book said. They can do it without being preachy, Bingham said.

Her audience isn't necessarily LDS readers, but instead young people who may have an unpleasant home life. It's a way of reaching them without preaching to them, she said, which wouldn't work with strict LDS fiction.

Reading and acting out science fiction and fantasy stories was a safe way to rebel, while being non-threatening to the church or parents, Sanderson said, describing his rebellion as a teenager.

"Our parents didn't get it and we did," he said.

Fantasy fiction is a way to deliver a "philosophical payload" without frightening off readers, moderator and short-fiction writer Scott Parkin said. However, the largest group of writers in the genre is predominately atheists and agnostics, while Jewish writers are also in large number, Sanderson said.

LDS writers, however, aren't threatened by their religion and can remain faithful to the church while they explore various ideas, Bingham said.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

It used to be the Jews, but multiple wives allowed the LDSers to out breed them.

Isaac Asimov, Robert Silverberg, and Judith Merrill are spinning in their graves.  Harlan Ellison promises that publication of The Last Dangerous Visions will restore the Jews to the top.  David Brin doesn't care about it, and Harry Turtledove doesn't know about it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Escapism is required when your real life is Mormon and craptacular.

I read a story recently decrying the lack of Jews in the fantasy genre while being very well represented in sci-fi. Interesting quips in there about Tolkien's answer to the Nazi publishers who were vetting The Hobbit for publishing in Germany. He schooled them in what an Aryan really was. I should find that again.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Faeelin

I'm trying to figure out if I became aware Card was a crazy Mormon before I realized his more recent writing was shit.

Lucidor

Quote from: Faeelin on March 08, 2010, 09:30:06 PM
I'm trying to figure out if I became aware Card was a crazy Mormon before I realized his more recent writing was shit.
His first Ender book came with a foreword saying he wrote it in the seminar or doing missionary stuff somewhere, so I was sort of prepared.

One of my favourite books still.

Razgovory

I think there is a connection between the "rugged individualism" theme in a lot of sci-fi and tendency of Mormons to hoard a years worth of food in their basements.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lucidor

Quote from: Razgovory on March 09, 2010, 01:34:27 AM
I think there is a connection between the "rugged individualism" theme in a lot of sci-fi and tendency of Mormons to hoard a years worth of food in their basements.

But the ruggededest rugged individualist that preceded the others, Heinlein, wasn't a Mormon at all, was he?

Razgovory

Quote from: Lucidor on March 09, 2010, 01:38:28 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 09, 2010, 01:34:27 AM

But the ruggededest rugged individualist that preceded the others, Heinlein, wasn't a Mormon at all, was he?

I don't think so.  But then, most people who actually go into space aren't "rugged individualists".  Space travel is very much a team activity.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 08, 2010, 09:17:30 PM

I read a story recently decrying the lack of Jews in the fantasy genre while being very well represented in sci-fi. Interesting quips in there about Tolkien's answer to the Nazi publishers who were vetting The Hobbit for publishing in Germany. He schooled them in what an Aryan really was. I should find that again.

The gay black guys from 300, right?

Quote from: LucidorBut the ruggededest rugged individualist that preceded the others, Heinlein, wasn't a Mormon at all, was he?

Heinlein always bugged me.  He hated the state, but loved group sex.  Isn't it obvious that group sex should be provided by the state?  I think you'll agree.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on March 09, 2010, 02:15:18 AM

Heinlein always bugged me.  He hated the state, but loved group sex.  Isn't it obvious that group sex should be provided by the state?  I think you'll agree.
:lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

citizen k

Quote from: Ideologue on March 09, 2010, 02:15:18 AMIsn't it obvious that group sex should be provided by the state?  I think you'll agree.

No, it should be dictated by free market forces. ^_^

Mr.Penguin

Is it any big surprise, the book of Mormons is little more than 19th century science fiction... ;) 
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Malicious Intent

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 08, 2010, 09:17:30 PM

Dear Sirs,

Thankyou for your letter..... I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject – which should be sufficient. I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.

Your enquiry is doubtless made in order to comply with the laws of your own country, but that this should be held to apply to the subjects of another state would be improper, even if it had (as it has not) any bearing whatsoever on the merits of my work or its suitability for publication, of which you appear to have satisfied yourselves without reference to my Abstammung.

I trust you will find this reply satisfactory, and
remain yours faithfully,
J.R.R. Tolkien

MadImmortalMan

:cool:

The man rocked. What else can be said?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Viking

I'm not surprised, what with their space god etc.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.