News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Public's ebbing trust in complex science

Started by jimmy olsen, March 08, 2010, 06:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barkdreg

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 08, 2010, 08:32:17 PM
Global warming is a massive industry that was about to go gigantic with cap-and-trade.  Luckily that will now come to an end.  Religious nutjobs will of course still cling to their believe in the apocalypse, but their credibility is rapidly approaching that of the Jehovah's Witness.

While some of the research is wrong or even fraudulent you can't discount the fact that icecaps/glaciers all over the world are melting away.

grumbler

Quote from: barkdreg on March 09, 2010, 09:14:19 AM
While some of the research is wrong or even fraudulent you can't discount the fact that icecaps/glaciers all over the world are melting away.
You'd be surprised at how much he is willing to discount!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Warspite on March 09, 2010, 09:02:55 AM

Perhaps as I write this PDH is sniffing coke off a $7,000-a-night hooker's breasts while his fixer scores him a new Bentley.

My hero.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 08, 2010, 07:11:00 PM
The problem is that global warming has been exposed as a hoax.  Every day there are more and more revelations of widespread tampering with evidence, if not outright manufacturing of it by the "scientists" in the global warming field.

It's the fraudsters that have replaced science with gaia-worship, they should stick to watching Avatar instead of pretending to be scientists.  We are now experiencing a return to science in a field long devoid of it as more and more critical eyes are looking at the hype and the hysteria with concerning eyes and shooting apart their manufactured "consent".

I see . . .

Would you change your mind if told you CO2 makes angels cry?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Climate change scientists crave money and power?

Then what on earth are they doing in academia.  :lol:

Perhaps as I write this PDH is sniffing coke off a $7,000-a-night hooker's breasts while his fixer scores him a new Bentley.

What real academics crave is grants, tenure and ripe graduate students to do all the work - in bed, in the lab and teaching.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

Evidence that global climate change is happening is very strong.

Evidence that global climate change is happening due to human activity is less convincing, but still pretty good.

Evidence that Hong Kong should do something about global climate change is, however, very weak.

Evidence that I personally should lower my standard of living for the off chance that a sufficiently large number of people in the rest of the world will do the same thing just so global climate change can be averted is absolutely nil :contract:

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 09, 2010, 09:29:38 AM

My hero.  :)
The man knows me, what can I say?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on March 09, 2010, 10:05:24 AM

Evidence that global climate change is happening due to human activity is less convincing, but still pretty good.

Evidence that Hong Kong should do something about global climate change is, however, very weak.

Evidence that I personally should lower my standard of living for the off chance that a sufficiently large number of people in the rest of the world will do the same thing just so global climate change can be averted is absolutely nil :contract:
Attitudes like that is why your people will soon forget what it feels like to have the penis of a tiger in your mouth.

DisturbedPervert

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on March 09, 2010, 10:44:11 AM
Attitudes like that is why your people will soon forget what it feels like to have the penis of a tiger in your mouth.

Something you've been wondering about?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 09, 2010, 11:37:42 AM

Something you've been wondering about?
He is wondering if he will soon forget.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: Monoriu on March 09, 2010, 10:05:24 AM

^_^
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 08, 2010, 07:03:59 PM
It's not that he science is hard to understand, so people disbelieve. It's that people don't trust the motives of the scientists and so they disbelieve their conclusions. 4 out of 5 doctors surveyed say smoking Lucky Strikes is good for you. We didn't pay the 5th one.
I don't know why we trust the conclusions of the dissenter more than the rest though.  And the media are more interested in the controversial and sensational than the steadied conclusion of the majority.

Here's the wiki of the MMR Saga which is absurd and, I think, captures the worst of people gullible to disbelieve and tabloid journalism:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy
Let's bomb Russia!

Hansmeister

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 08, 2010, 08:32:17 PM
Global warming is a massive industry that was about to go gigantic with cap-and-trade.  Luckily that will now come to an end.  Religious nutjobs will of course still cling to their believe in the apocalypse, but their credibility is rapidly approaching that of the Jehovah's Witness.

Gee, the earth has warmed since the end of the mini ice age.  What a shocker.  Of course most of the warming occured prior to WWII, when there wasn't enough human CO2 emmission to cause global warming.  There is no evidence of any warming outside of historical norms, indeed the world is still colder than during the medieval warming period.

Of course there is no scientific evidence that CO2 even causes global warming.  there is absolutely no correlation between CO2 levels and global temperatures, nor any observable impact of CO2 on climate.

But other than the complete absence of any evidence whatsoever the global warming science is airtight.  That is except of the widespread use of fake data, the surpression of evidence contrary to their hype, their unworkable computer models, and the fact that none of their predictions have even been remotely correct.  Other than that it is a slam-dunk.

It is amazing how gullible people will believe anything simply based on somebody's assertion of expert authority.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 09, 2010, 05:38:19 PM
It is amazing how gullible people will believe anything simply based on somebody's assertion of expert authority.

I agree.  It is amazing how you vomit out such information as if it were absolutely true.