And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Habbaku on April 18, 2009, 02:47:20 AM
Soviet Dawn

Fun game, and it plays very, very quickly once you have the rules down.  The "tech" tree that the game has to offer is very interesting and, at first, I thought that getting lucky on it would swing the game too much in the player's favor.  Even after getting the Supplemental Reserves "tech," however, I did end up losing the game on my second playthrough.  I swiftly turned that around for a pyrrhic political victory that saw the Allies stuck on their beachhead and the Germans (courtesy of them not leaving the war, thanks to the Bukharin Offensive) the outskirts of Moscow itself...yet international recognition came in time to save the Bolsheviks.  Needless to say, there are some very tense moments when you have the choice of trying to push back a front or taking a gamble on garnering long-term bonuses.

Currently sitting at a 4-3 record with my latest win seeing every card played--and resulting in a 42 VP "International" victory that saw the Revolution exported to Poland and perhaps beyond.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Once again, I see that game designers have yet to incorporate cat-repellant maps...

MARKET GARDEN! WHAT A CAT-TASTROPHE

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

schaksen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 22, 2009, 08:21:19 PM
Once again, I see that game designers have yet to incorporate cat-repellant maps...

A cat too far :unsure:
Formerly known as Gumby, this was/is my pdx nick

CountDeMoney

Syt

Quote from: schaksen on April 25, 2009, 04:23:28 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 22, 2009, 08:21:19 PM

A cat too far :unsure:

More like: Cat Devils over Arnheim.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Operation MarCat Garden.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Couple of new games coming soon from Boulder :

First up is Revolution : The Dutch Revolt http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9215.

This should satisfy my desire for another multiplayer game about an obscure topic that, nonetheless, has manageable rules and a highly-playable format.  It is, apparently, quite good as well judging from several reviews and word-of-mouth.  I'm hoping to give this one a shot within the month with my little group.  The protagonists are just what one might expect (Spanish, Dutch Protestants) and the not-so-predictable setups (Catholics, Burghers, Nobles).  Just like in Here I Stand, each side has its own goals that may or may not conflict with another faction's--leading to some bits of diplomacy and backstabbing that is the hallmark of all fun MP games.

Next up is solitaire fare--something I've been getting into a lot more often, as of late (See recent postings of Soviet Dawn; I've also played a few missions of Avalon Hill's old B-17 game).

Fields of Fire http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22877

FoF comes from veteran designer Ben Hull of GMT's Musket-and-Pike series (Under The Lily Banners, This Accursed Civil War, etc.).  The player commands a rifle company from any one of three different eras (WW II, Korea, Vietnam) and FoF takes pains to show the comparisons and contrasts of each while also showcasing the development of better tactics and doctrine from each era. The game, just like the M&P series, had some issues upon release but, again like M&P, they've been cleared up rather quickly by the developer/designer clarifications, making it a lot easier to get into.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

FoF sounds cool, would  like to know more about it, since cheap skates like fahdiz and airheads like CdM make MP games impossible.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

Quote from: katmai on June 03, 2009, 08:36:44 PM
FoF sounds cool, would  like to know more about it

I'll let you know how it goes.  Brown Truck should arrive either tomorrow or Friday and I plan on jumping into it fairly quickly.  From what I can tell, once you get past some of the rules garbage, the game is very fun to play--and eminently replayable, considering the three, distinct eras and the variability of the terrain/missions involved.  I am just happy that the game system is diceless...

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

The Dutch game looks fun.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Both are good choices Habs! They wear my seal of approval. :thumbsup:

frunk

Quote from: garbon on June 04, 2009, 02:19:32 AM
The Dutch game looks fun.

It's an odd game.  It takes some of the mechanisms of Tresham's Civilization and complicates it.  It's a couple of games before you even figure out what a reasonable plan of action is.