News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Another Languish EU3 game? Weeknights EST?

Started by Berkut, March 05, 2010, 01:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Kleves on April 15, 2010, 09:14:52 AM
It looks like, even with the loss of the Mamelukes and the Balkans, the Ottoman economy still grew by 130d. Whereas Russia's economy, despite my expansion, grew by only 90d.  :glare:

There's a lesson here.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

sbr

Quote from: Habbaku on April 15, 2010, 11:12:05 AM
Quote from: Kleves on April 15, 2010, 09:14:52 AM
It looks like, even with the loss of the Mamelukes and the Balkans, the Ottoman economy still grew by 130d. Whereas Russia's economy, despite my expansion, grew by only 90d.  :glare:

There's a lesson here.

You should have lost more provinces. :yes:

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on April 15, 2010, 11:10:03 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2010, 07:55:35 AM
That chart cannot be right - Habbaku assured us after the war that he was now "weaker than the HRE" and how the HRE was going to run rampant without him to stop him.

So there is no way that the Ottomans can possibly still have that much more income than the HRE.

:o Could it be that the sheer size of one's economy is not the sole determinant of power in this game?

Not at all, but it is certainly an indicator, and since you had more income before, and *still* have more income, and nothing else has fundamentally changed...I suspect that your claims of being beat down are just a tad bit over-stated.

I know who I would put my money on in a straight up fight between the two of you.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on April 15, 2010, 11:10:03 AM
By your rubric, Spain is poised to conquer the world, and we all know that's laughably untrue.
We all know that, but did you really have to add "laughably"?  :(

Berkut

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: sbr on April 15, 2010, 11:09:20 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2010, 09:41:11 AM
I have no idea what I did to grow my income by 50%.

Despite DGs claims that I "expanded" in Asia, I actually conquered a grand total of 2 provinces, both from a war that was declared on me.

This is where the colonizers really start to see the benefits.  You had nice increases in every income category across the board.  You had ~20 provinces in the Americas and India core, helping your tax base.  Colonial trade good prices are sky-rocketing helping both your tariffs and trade and your merchants were extremely busy.

Good point - I did have a slew of new cores this session. Didn't realize what a difference that made though.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: katmai on April 15, 2010, 03:05:42 AM
:huh:
no it really does.
They asked for my help as they figured their navies would be able to blockade but weren't sure if HRE land forces would be able to take you on so asked for my help.

:huh: No, it really doesn't.

They being afraid of me being too strong doesn't explain why you would join a war to pare me down.  Well, unless you're just going to do what everyone else tells you to, then it makes perfect sense.  What did you gain from joining in, exactly?  Russia and the HRE both had big land gains and even Britain got a new island for their troubles.  You and Spain gained literally zip from helping them.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on April 15, 2010, 12:37:42 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 15, 2010, 03:05:42 AM
:huh:
no it really does.
They asked for my help as they figured their navies would be able to blockade but weren't sure if HRE land forces would be able to take you on so asked for my help.

:huh: No, it really doesn't.

They being afraid of me being too strong doesn't explain why you would join a war to pare me down.  Well, unless you're just going to do what everyone else tells you to, then it makes perfect sense.  What did you gain from joining in, exactly?  Russia and the HRE both had big land gains and even Britain got a new island for their troubles.  You and Spain gained literally zip from helping them.
What did you gain from slapping Viking down?

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Total tech levels:

Ottomans: 156
Holy Roman Empire: 149
Great Britain: 149
France: 141
Scandinavia: 139
Spain: 133
Russia: 121

We need to take more provinces away from the Ottomans until their tech levels drop!

0 rows returned

Berkut

I assume we will be patching with the new beta patch released today (check other game thread for link).

0 rows returned

sbr

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2010, 12:30:02 PM
Quote from: sbr on April 15, 2010, 11:09:20 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2010, 09:41:11 AM
I have no idea what I did to grow my income by 50%.

Despite DGs claims that I "expanded" in Asia, I actually conquered a grand total of 2 provinces, both from a war that was declared on me.

This is where the colonizers really start to see the benefits.  You had nice increases in every income category across the board.  You had ~20 provinces in the Americas and India core, helping your tax base.  Colonial trade good prices are sky-rocketing helping both your tariffs and trade and your merchants were extremely busy.

Good point - I did have a slew of new cores this session. Didn't realize what a difference that made though.

You only get 10% of a non-core province's adjusted tax.  Once it goes core you get 100%; there are still some nasty modifiers to that (-90% Distant overseas for one) but those colonies coring is a big help.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2010, 01:24:25 PM
Total tech levels:

Ottomans: 156
Holy Roman Empire: 149
Great Britain: 149
France: 141
Scandinavia: 139
Spain: 133
Russia: 121

We need to take more provinces away from the Ottomans until their tech levels drop!
:pinch: 

I knew I was behind, but I never put an overall number on how much I was behind.  Very behind, it turns out.  If Ottomans from now on stop researching completely, then it will only take me about 40 years to catch up.  Woo-fucking-hoo.  :(