BREAKING: Vermont legalizes same-sex marriage

Started by Caliga, April 07, 2009, 11:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 07, 2009, 03:12:15 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2009, 03:11:16 PM
What gun laws? :lol:

The perfect state for the heavily armed gay couple.

They don't need gun laws in Vermont since there are no blacks.  :ph34r:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

BREAKING:  Washington D.C. has voted to recognize gay marriages performed elsewhere.

Habbaku

I actually have a rather large legalese book on the various gun laws of each state, circa 2004 or somesuch that was sent to me (since I have a C&R license and wanted to make sure I was doing transfers correctly).

Naturally, the first thing I do is start comparing my state (a few pages long) to California (tens of pages) to New Hampshire (couple of paragraphs) to Vermont (next to nothing).  Amusing read, to say the least.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2009, 03:24:22 PM
BREAKING:  Washington D.C. has voted to recognize gay marriages performed elsewhere.

The Republic is collapsing. A new hetero Sulla is needed to proscribe the gay.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

I think some of you are WAY overstating the differences between people of different regions in this country. Half* the people who live in the South had grandparents somewhere else. People in the countryside have television and the internet just like people in the cities. A swing of 5-10% of the electorate can mean the difference between a "red" state and a "blue" state. And gay marriage was narrowly defeated in California.

Sure, the more conservative areas like the South and the Plains will lag behind the rest of the country in allowing gay marriage, but not by that much, and when it becomes the law of the land they'll grumble a bit and then move on.

*Just randomly guessing number, though 3/4 of mine were from Canada and Maryland.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Faeelin

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2009, 03:24:22 PM

Hrmm. My understanding is that this has to be approved by Congress. This will be interesting.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2009, 03:11:16 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 07, 2009, 01:55:06 PM
I wonder if Martinus would hate Vermont if he found out about their gun laws.

What gun laws? :lol:

:) Concealed carry for everyone FTW.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Lettow77

Thursday, that is a subject I have studied in detail. Half is an overstatement certaintly, but it is true that northerners are moving here in unprecedented numbers- the rust belt in particular is trying to empty itself at an alarming rate at our expense. This will certaintly have an effect on the South, which finds its cultural borders shrink as more of it is brought into line with 'mainstream' America.

I tend to agree with Martinus and Faeelin, that the South will resist this to the last but find itself overturned, and that backed up with force should it be necissary. (It will be, but I do not anticipate any armed clash- just a 'symbolic' occupation ala the integration of schools.)

This, combined with the fact that the South is indeed becoming more American, (though not so much or so fast as Thursday might think- it wouldent pay to underestimate regional differences any more than it would be to overstate them) presents a rather bleak picture for the Southern nationalist.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 07, 2009, 03:29:25 PM
I think some of you are WAY overstating the differences between people of different regions in this country. Half* the people who live in the South had grandparents somewhere else. People in the countryside have television and the internet just like people in the cities. A swing of 5-10% of the electorate can mean the difference between a "red" state and a "blue" state. And gay marriage was narrowly defeated in California.

Sure, the more conservative areas like the South and the Plains will lag behind the rest of the country in allowing gay marriage, but not by that much, and when it becomes the law of the land they'll grumble a bit and then move on.

*Just randomly guessing number, though 3/4 of mine were from Canada and Maryland.

:yes: I was recently made aware that part of the reason for South Jersey's hickdom is the amount of post-ACW Kentuckeyan transplants.
Experience bij!

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 07, 2009, 08:16:41 PM
:yes: I was recently made aware that part of the reason for South Jersey's hickdom is the amount of post-ACW Kentuckeyan transplants.

:huh:

Interesting.  I was under the impression that the Pineys have been there since colonial times, and were always that  redneck.

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 07, 2009, 08:16:41 PM

Southern Ohio also had an influx of Kentuckians that increased its hick quotient.  I remember my grandfather had a strong dislike for these folks, and some of that disdain carried through to my mom-- one of my brothers had talked about moving to Northern KY & she had a fit :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2009, 02:36:09 PMSouthern Ohio also had an influx of Kentuckians that increased its hick quotient.  I remember my grandfather had a strong dislike for these folks, and some of that disdain carried through to my mom-- one of my brothers had talked about moving to Northern KY & she had a fit :lol:

Now THAT migration I did know about.  They also flooded southern Indiana, which is why Hoosiers are more redneck than alot of people in and around Louisville on this side of the river.

Ed Anger

I'm going to kick both of you (Spicy and Cal) in the nuts.

An old joke:

Why are there so many kentuckians in Ohio?
They ran out of gas on the way to Michigan
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive