John Kerry calls for the blood of gay men

Started by Jaron, March 04, 2010, 02:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2010, 04:49:18 PM
I already answered this question in a post Strix quoted. The reason concerns sexual habits, not sexual orientation. Such habits are, sadly, more prominent among gay men, but that does not make gay men a high risk group. This is a correlation, not a causation.

:lol:  Classic Marty.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

In America the police don't collect and regulate blood supplies, Marcin.. ;)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Strix

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2010, 04:54:49 PM
Oh, so suddenly it's not "gay people" (as in derspiess' original post that I was responding it and that you took exception to) but "gay people who are male and who are young". I love a debate with moving targets.

No, you moron, It's called facts. Something you will want to avoid at all costs on this subject. Gay males are to HIV as blacks are to incarceration in America. They are both minority groups that are highly over represented in their respective issues in comparison to the majority.

If you are to stupid to understand that young gay males alone make up around 50% of those infected with HIV than you definitely won't be able to make the leap in understanding that adding in the older gay males only increases the overall percentage.

Gay males are the highest risk group for HIV period. That such a small group represents such a big proportion should be apparent even to someone like yourself.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on March 04, 2010, 05:01:27 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2010, 04:49:18 PM
I already answered this question in a post Strix quoted. The reason concerns sexual habits, not sexual orientation. Such habits are, sadly, more prominent among gay men, but that does not make gay men a high risk group. This is a correlation, not a causation.

:lol:  Classic Marty.

Well that's my point. I'm gay. I don't do anal. I am NOT in a high risk group. So basing a policy on "having sex with other men" (unless by sex you mean only anal sex) is not justified.

Strix

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2010, 05:05:50 PM
Well that's my point. I'm gay. I don't do anal. I am NOT in a high risk group. So basing a policy on "having sex with other men" (unless by sex you mean only anal sex) is not justified.

Basing someone's life on the honesty of a person not lying about having had unprotected anal sex is not justified either.

It's better to err on the side of caution.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Faeelin

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2010, 04:14:18 PM
We are not a federal country, so we don't have different provinces giving people different rights (if we had, Warsaw probably would have had civil partnerships by now). Does your country have federal laws protecting gay people from being fired for being gay? Does your army allow gay people to serve openly?

So go fuck yourself with your ivory tower sense of superiority that would be put to a sore test in some parking lot in Wyoming.

So in other words you're saying a nation of 300 million people has regional differences.

I will note that unlike your pissant little country, our capital didn't try to ban a gay pride parade in 2005, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4084324.stm, but it's really fun when you try to pull of this sophisticated schtick.

The Brain

I'm shocked that Mart throws reason out the window on a gay issue.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

Isn't what what all blood tests are though?

The person could just as easily put down they are straight.

The last time I gave blood I could have marked that I have no communicable diseases with a stroke of a pen.

The screening of blood is what is critical, not honesty. Your argument is flawed because we should not discredit gay people as liars while accepting the trustworthiness of straights based upon word alone. Let all who would donate give blood and screen the hell out of all of it.

Martinus

Quote from: Strix on March 04, 2010, 05:05:00 PM
Gay males are to HIV as blacks are to incarceration in America.

See? This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You have two traits "A" and "B". Trait A correlates with trait B statistically, but it does not cause each other. Trait "C" is caused by "B". If you then make a policy in which if someone has trait "A", he or she is likely to have "C", this policy is unsound.

Children of Barrack Obama are not more likely to get incarcerated than children of any white family (and are much less likely to be incarcerated than children of a white trash family from Florida or Kentucky, for example). This means being black will not cause you to become a criminal - it's just that being black often statistically correlates with being poor, and poverty indeed causes crime.

The same goes for the gay / HIV correlation. A gay person who does not engage in unprotected anal sex is less likely to have HIV than for example a woman who engages in unprotected vaginal sex with a heterosexual or a bisexual guy. Being gay will not cause you to have HIV - it's just that being gay correlates statistically with engaging in unprotected anal sex, which is a cause of HIV spread.

Faeelin

Right, but why take a risk? A single error in screening could cause tons of people to be infected.

Martinus

Quote from: Strix on March 04, 2010, 05:09:30 PM

Basing someone's life on the honesty of a person not lying about having had unprotected anal sex is not justified either.

You are already basing this on the honesty of a person not lying about having sex with other men, you fucking idiot. There is no "central database of gay people".

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2010, 05:12:52 PM
Quote from: Strix on March 04, 2010, 05:05:00 PM
Gay males are to HIV as blacks are to incarceration in America.

See? This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You have two traits "A" and "B". Trait A correlates with trait B statistically, but it does not cause each other. Trait "C" is caused by "B". If you then make a policy in which if someone has trait "A", he or she is likely to have "C", this policy is unsound.

:wacko:

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2010, 05:14:06 PM
Quote from: Strix on March 04, 2010, 05:09:30 PM

You are already basing this on the honesty of a person not lying about having sex with other men, you fucking idiot. There is no "central database of gay people".

Yet... :shifty:

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on March 04, 2010, 05:12:21 PM
Isn't what what all blood tests are though?

The person could just as easily put down they are straight.

The last time I gave blood I could have marked that I have no communicable diseases with a stroke of a pen.

The screening of blood is what is critical, not honesty. Your argument is flawed because we should not discredit gay people as liars while accepting the trustworthiness of straights based upon word alone. Let all who would donate give blood and screen the hell out of all of it.

:yes: