John Kerry calls for the blood of gay men

Started by Jaron, March 04, 2010, 02:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2010, 04:34:45 PM
Quote from: Alexandru H. on March 04, 2010, 04:33:48 PM
I don't want blood from Polacks.  <_<

Good call. Human blood can be harmful to animals and other lower life forms like Romanians.

Tamas would agree. . . ;)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Yeah. I mean it must be shitty to be a Romanian. Even Poles and Hungarians look down on you. :D

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2010, 04:36:32 PM
Yeah. I mean it must be shitty to be a Romanian. Even Poles and Hungarians look down on you. :D

I'M NOT ROMANIAN!

I think I said that a million times.

I'm German-Moldavian. We enjoy killing Polacks.

Strix

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2010, 04:21:45 PM
See, this is where this unjustified homophobic prejudice comes in.

Gay people are not a "high risk group". Gay and bisexual men and heterosexual and bisexual women who engage in unprotected anal or vaginal sex with random strangers are. This is why this policy is prejudiced and wrong. It should track sexual behavior, not sexual orientation.

Unjustified? What is the percentage of homosexuals and those that engage in homosexual activities with HIV within their own group as compared to others?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Martinus

Quote from: Strix on March 04, 2010, 04:43:16 PM

Gay people are not a "high risk group". Gay and bisexual men and heterosexual and bisexual women who engage in unprotected anal or vaginal sex with random strangers are. This is why this policy is prejudiced and wrong. It should track sexual behavior, not sexual orientation.

Unjustified? What is the percentage of homosexuals and those that engage in homosexual activities with HIV within their own group as compared to others?

Strix fails to understand statistics again. Film at 11.

Also it's lovely to see someone use the word "homosexuals" in a discussion. It immediately gives you the idea where they stand.

Strix

Some states for you to ponder...

QuoteIn the USA, the UK, and a number of other European countries, HIV and AIDS have affected young gay men more than any other group of people. In the UK and USA especially, the percentage of young gay men who have been infected with HIV and the percentage with AIDS is much higher than other groups such as heterosexual people or children.

In the USA, it is estimated that nearly 255,000 men who have sex with men were living with HIV/AIDS in 2007, and nearly 5,400 had died. Around 48% of all people diagnosed with AIDS in America in 2007 were probably exposed to HIV through male-to-male sexual contact.1 In the UK, by the end of June 2009, around 45,947 diagnoses of HIV had been in men who had probably become infected through sex with another man. 53% of these men were aged below 35.2

There are also other parts of the world where men who have sex with men, many of whom do not identify themselves as gay, are affected by HIV. For example, the primary HIV transmission route in Latin America is sex between men. In Brazil, men who have sex with men accounted for 40% of all AIDS diagnoses among males between 2000 and 2005.3

You can check out the http://www.avert.org/young-gay-men.htm
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2010, 04:45:15 PM

I would have you answer the question please.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on March 04, 2010, 04:46:14 PM

I would have you answer the question please.

I already answered this question in a post Strix quoted. The reason concerns sexual habits, not sexual orientation. Such habits are, sadly, more prominent among gay men, but that does not make gay men a high risk group. This is a correlation, not a causation.

Alexandru H.

Martinus is right. We shouldn't ban homosexuals from giving blood, only people that engage in anal sex. And polacks (in order to also refuse Martinus' blood).

Faeelin

Also it's lovely to see someone use the word "homosexuals" in a discussion. It immediately gives you the idea where they stand.

In America it already restricts it to risky behavior. It asks if you've had anal sex with men.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2010, 04:49:18 PM
I already answered this question in a post Strix quoted. The reason concerns sexual habits, not sexual orientation. Such habits are, sadly, more prominent among gay men, but that does not make gay men a high risk group. This is a correlation, not a causation.
The fact that high risk behavior is more prevelant does in fact make gay men a high risk group.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2010, 04:17:36 PM
I think it would most likely make us feel light-headed, not big-headed.

Btw wtf is up with that mullet Hillary is wearing these days??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: Strix on March 04, 2010, 04:46:05 PM
Some states for you to ponder...

QuoteIn the USA, the UK, and a number of other European countries, HIV and AIDS have affected young gay men more than any other group of people. In the UK and USA especially, the percentage of young gay men who have been infected with HIV and the percentage with AIDS is much higher than other groups such as heterosexual people or children.

In the USA, it is estimated that nearly 255,000 men who have sex with men were living with HIV/AIDS in 2007, and nearly 5,400 had died. Around 48% of all people diagnosed with AIDS in America in 2007 were probably exposed to HIV through male-to-male sexual contact.1 In the UK, by the end of June 2009, around 45,947 diagnoses of HIV had been in men who had probably become infected through sex with another man. 53% of these men were aged below 35.2

There are also other parts of the world where men who have sex with men, many of whom do not identify themselves as gay, are affected by HIV. For example, the primary HIV transmission route in Latin America is sex between men. In Brazil, men who have sex with men accounted for 40% of all AIDS diagnoses among males between 2000 and 2005.3

You can check out the http://www.avert.org/young-gay-men.htm

Oh, so suddenly it's not "gay people" (as in derspiess' original post that I was responding it and that you took exception to) but "gay people who are male and who are young". I love a debate with moving targets.

Martinus

Quote from: Faeelin on March 04, 2010, 04:53:59 PM

In America it already restricts it to risky behavior. It asks if you've had anal sex with men.

For the record, I would have no problem if the police was to restrict it to unprotected anal sex.

Martinus

Quote from: Alexandru H. on March 04, 2010, 04:52:12 PM
Martinus is right. We shouldn't ban homosexuals from giving blood, only people that engage in anal sex.

Make that unprotected anal sex, and I wouldn't oppose it.

QuoteAnd polacks (in order to also refuse Martinus' blood).

I wouldn't ever dream of donating blood - it's yucky and one of these acts of altruism I don't get. Besides, I can't donate blood anyway since I had Hep-B when I was a kid.