News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A late colour revolution?

Started by Josquius, April 06, 2009, 04:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Just heard from Moldovan friends that apparently there's quite a lot going on over there with their latest election. Doesn't seem to be mentioned on the major news sources. Apparently quite some rumblings though.
The ruling communist party (wtf?) has rigged the elections and there is evidence of a few hundred thousand dead people voting for them. There's been street protests today and they're set to pick up.
Has anyone seen much on this?
Back when colour revolutions were the in thing they were always picked up even in the Stans. Now though nada.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Nothing will come of this.  These sorts of things don't go anywhere without Western aid, and Western foreign policy is run from Moscow now.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Hmm...what color best represents Moldova?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tyr on April 06, 2009, 04:45:03 PM
Just heard from Moldovan friends that apparently there's quite a lot going on over there with their latest election. Doesn't seem to be mentioned on the major news sources. Apparently quite some rumblings though.
The ruling communist party (wtf?) has rigged the elections and there is evidence of a few hundred thousand dead people voting for them. There's been street protests today and they're set to pick up.
Back when colour revolutions were the in thing they were always picked up even in the Stans. Now though nada.

both the BBc and Der Spiegel have run an article on it. Expect the russians to create problems.

Alexandru H.

Josquius

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 07, 2009, 12:53:33 AM

both the BBc and Der Spiegel have run an article on it. Expect the russians to create problems.

Can you direct me to this BBC article? I come up with nothing, not even in the lower segments of the news.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7987608.stm

There you go.

50% of the votes........hmmm.....they are getting better at this, remember when the Albanian communicst party used to claim 99.997%  :lol: ?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tyr on April 07, 2009, 08:22:26 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 07, 2009, 12:53:33 AM

Can you direct me to this BBC article? I come up with nothing, not even in the lower segments of the news.

this is the link to the most recent (today's) article
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7987608.stm

on the right side of the screen you'll find links to earlier BBC articles (of the 6th, 3rd, etc)

crazy canuck

Most people in N. America will never have heard of Moldova. 

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 07, 2009, 12:29:20 PM

So?  Most people in North America have never heard of lots of places.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 07, 2009, 12:32:23 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 07, 2009, 12:29:20 PM

So?  Most people in North America have never heard of lots of places.

And no western aid goes there either. :P

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 07, 2009, 12:33:08 PM
And no western aid goes there either. :P

If that was true we would only be able to send aid to about 10 countries.

http://centralasia.usaid.gov/page.php?page=article-89

Number of North Americans who have heard of Kyrgyzstan?  I would gather very few.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Is this dude wearing a mask, or do Moldovans look like this :unsure:

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.