News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

More raping of the childhood

Started by Ed Anger, March 03, 2010, 10:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on March 04, 2010, 02:20:27 AM
I didnt know you were a boomer. I thought you were part of the Greatest Generation........  :homestar:

:huh:

He's a member of the Lost Generation.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Jaron on March 04, 2010, 02:20:27 AM
I didnt know you were a boomer. I thought you were part of the Greatest Generation........  :homestar:
I didn't say i was a Boomer, I said I am amused by the Xers who moan about Boomers and then simply duplicate them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Quote from: Syt on March 03, 2010, 12:42:08 PM

Who thought that would be a good idea? That's like making Starbuck a woman (which, fortunately, never happened).

cast Jennifer Garner as Rockford.. we can keep that Affleck vibe going still...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Scipio

If it must be Dermot, let it be Dylan McDermott; and if it must be Mulroney, let it be Bryan Mulroney; but never, ever let it be Dermot Mulroney.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: Scipio on March 04, 2010, 07:43:50 AM
If it must be Dermot, let it be Dylan McDermott; and if it must be Mulroney, let it be Bryan Mulroney; but never, ever let it be Dermot Mulroney.
:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

I didn't know I was complaining about Boomers. I like SSBN's.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Scipio

Quote from: grumbler on March 04, 2010, 07:58:45 AM
Quote from: Scipio on March 04, 2010, 07:43:50 AM
:lol:
Thank you, I am here all the week.

Seriously, can you think of a less-good actor they could have chosen?  He's like the untalented hack version of Patrick Dempsey.  He's so bad that he couldn't make a convincing love interest for Horseface or Cameron Diaz in My Best Friend's Wedding.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 04, 2010, 08:13:24 AM
The Hunt for Red October was friggin awesome. That was before Clancy became a hack.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Scipio on March 04, 2010, 08:13:47 AM
He's like the untalented hack version of Patrick Dempsey. 

Not as pretty though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 04, 2010, 08:41:29 AM
The Hunt for Red October was friggin awesome. That was before Clancy became a hack.

:yes:

I kept my Hunt and Red Storm Rising books.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

I didn't know you were complaining, either.  If I were you, I'd go back to the person who said you were complaining and ask for clarification.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 04, 2010, 09:26:03 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 04, 2010, 08:41:29 AM

:yes:

I kept my Hunt and Red Storm Rising books.
Once he switched from publishing for the Naval institute, his books turned to shit.  RSR was kinda silly, but was definitiely better than anything he wrote later.  HFRO was quite good by any standard of the genre.

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: grumbler on March 03, 2010, 10:13:03 PM
Nothing amuses me more about the Xer constant moaning about Baby Boomers than seeing them demonstrate so conclusively that their idea of "culture" is to badly remake Boomer culture.  :lol:

FFS, dudes, create somethingThe Rockford Files will always be a Boomer thing, as will Matlock and Ocean's Eleven.  And the Adams Family, etc.

The most Xer thing I can think of in terms of culture is (maybe) the Simpsons, and Groening isn't really an Xer.

It makes total sense that a generation known for general irresponsibility would produce great art. It's always been like that. That's the one area where the Boomers arguably have everyone currently living beat hands-down.

Edit: Not to mention that they are the first gen to grow up with television and really "get" it as a medium.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 03, 2010, 12:41:11 PM
Mulroney really doesn't seem right for it. Can't think who I would prefer though.

John Goodman has the right persona, but appearance-wise, he'd be better suited for a remake of Cannon.  Plus, he's probably a bit too old for the part, anyway.

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 06, 2010, 03:06:28 PM
It makes total sense that a generation known for general irresponsibility would produce great art. It's always been like that.
Every generation is known for irresponsibility.  Every generation also accuses its predecessors and successors both of irresponsibility.  It has always been that way.

QuoteThat's the one area where the Boomers arguably have everyone currently living beat hands-down.
Less so as the "Boomers'" predecessors die out and the "Xers" have more of the "irresponsible" label thrown at them (the current financial crisis for instance, being the result of "GenX" greed and irresponsibility in home buying) by the "Millennials."  "Xer" art won't really be appreciated for another ten or so years (other than music, of course).  Still, I don't think anyone will be looking at the remakes of TV shows as great art, no matter what.  Other than BSG which wisely didn't try to travel too closely down the road of the show it was imitating, none of the remakes have been particularly good.  Of course, given that you are dealing with people who lack the talent and fire to create original work, this is unsurprising.

I am just surprised that people have so little respect for their own money that they toss it away investing in projects like this.

Bayraktar!