Victory for Poland's gays' rights before the ECHR!

Started by Martinus, March 02, 2010, 08:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Under Polish law, when a tenant of a flat dies, the "person who was at the time of death in a marriage-like 'factual' relationship with the tenant" can inherit the rights under the lease (this is important for protected lease agreements, which cannot be easily terminated by the landlord).

The case was brought by a guy whose gay life partner died and the Polish courts refused to recognize his inheritance rights, by claiming that a marriage-like 'factual' relationship can exist only between a man and a woman (the Polish constitution recognizes only marriage between a man and a woman).

The ECHR ruled today that this interpretation was unjustified and violated the European Convention of Human Rights.

The ruling is final.  :showoff: :swiss: :yeah:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

It's something similar to a common law marriage in the Anglo Saxon law or cohabitation under certain civil law syste,s - it is not a formal marriage, but the state recognizes that it gives the partners certain rights.

Essentially this ruling says that even though the Polish constitution defines the "legal" marriage as a marriage between a man and a woman, this does not mean the Polish state can refuse to recognize a de facto cohabitation of same sex partners.

Josquius

Quote(the Polish constitution recognizes only marriage between a man and a woman).
Thats one damn thorough constitution....
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on March 02, 2010, 08:49:28 AM
Essentially this ruling says that even though the Polish constitution defines the "legal" marriage as a marriage between a man and a woman, this does not mean the Polish state can refuse to recognize a de facto cohabitation of same sex partners.
Of course they can.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

So, if the commission rules against Poland's constitution, what happens? Does it change the law or only affect the case in question?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

How cute.

This is similar to animals celebrating that their masters have decreed they are free to walk around their cages as they wish.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 02, 2010, 02:21:50 PM
So, if the commission rules against Poland's constitution, what happens? Does it change the law or only affect the case in question?

This is not a ruling against the Polish constitution.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Razgovory

It's something similar to a common law marriage in the Anglo Saxon law or cohabitation under certain civil law syste,s - it is not a formal marriage, but the state recognizes that it gives the partners certain rights.

So simply living with someone long enough you can just inherit their stuff?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2010, 04:34:46 PM

So simply living with someone long enough you can just inherit their stuff?

Here it's just the inheritance of lease, but you know that the common law marriage in Anglo Saxon countries gives some inheritance rights, right?  :huh:

Alexandru H.

That's a moronic decision. What the hell does a "marriage-like 'factual' relationship" mean in a country where same-sex marriages are not recognized by law? Is it enough I'm your roomate, that we have only one bed? Or the turning point is that we have sex with one another, therefore we are in a relationship that resembles marriage? WHEN DID SEX BECAME THE SYNONYM OF MARRIAGE?

The decision would be equally stupid if the two characters would have been man and woman. Just for having sex with someone I get to inherit her things? Wow, where's the line... I want to get them first...