Experimental or avant-garde theatre

Started by Caliga, April 06, 2009, 01:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like it?

Yes
8 (33.3%)
No
5 (20.8%)
When I hear the word theatre, I reach for my Browning.
3 (12.5%)
HULK SMASH
8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Barrister

You can never go wrong with a Naked Gun line. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 06, 2009, 06:42:23 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 06, 2009, 06:16:12 PM
When I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy.

You finally came up with a good one.

FINALLY.
Thanks. -_-
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Now of course, when you post a Spacely Sprockets Jetsons pic when the joke is running in a Sprockets-SNL direction again, I'm gonna verbally rape you.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

When it is good it is good.  Unfortunately I think most avant garde people think if people think it is good there must be something conventional or wrong with their work.  :P

I say yea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Good experimental theatre can be very good, but it is very hit-and-miss, with misses outnumbering hits. Entertainment for those with the time and energy to do serious research on what is good and what is not, and willing to risk wasting an evening or three having some asshole yell at you dressed in saran wrap.

Dunno if it counts as "experimental", but I've been following this play-cycle, which would be of particular interest to Oex:

http://www.videocab.com/index.html

It is very good - a series on, of all things, Canadian history; and very, very funny. The "experimental" aspect is that it is performed in a very tiny space - the stage is the size of a closet, yet they are able, using lighting and minimal props, to stage an entire play in that space.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Darth Wagtaros

Sounds like if I saw it I'd want everyone involved terminated with Xtreme prejudice.
PDH!

Malthus

Quote from: Pedrito on April 07, 2009, 10:08:03 AM
HULK SMASH!

L.

... which, ironically enough, would make for experimental theatre.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

BuddhaRhubarb

It depends really on the piece. I tend to go by word of mouth from friends with any play.
:p

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on April 07, 2009, 10:23:18 AM... which, ironically enough, would make for experimental theatre.  :D

I didn't think of that, but I did put the quote about the Browning in there specifically because it originated as a line from a play (forget which though).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 07, 2009, 12:08:15 PM
It depends really on the piece. I tend to go by word of mouth from friends with any play.

So how do you decide who sees it first among your friends?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2009, 12:11:57 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 07, 2009, 10:23:18 AM... which, ironically enough, would make for experimental theatre.  :D

I didn't think of that, but I did put the quote about the Browning in there specifically because it originated as a line from a play (forget which though).

Found it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanns_Johst

QuoteWhen the Nazis achieved power in 1933, Johst wrote the play Schlageter, an expression of Nazi ideology performed on Hitler's birthday to celebrate his victory. It was a heroic biography of the proto-Nazi martyr Albert Leo Schlageter. The line "when I hear the word culture, I reach for my gun", often associated with Nazi leaders, derives from this play. The original line is slightly different: "Wenn ich Kultur höre ... entsichere ich meinen Browning," "Whenever I hear of culture... I release the safety-catch of my Browning!" (Act 1, Scene 1).

Martinus

Inspired by this thread, I went to a modernized version of Picture of Dorian Gray. Harry was a macho clubber, Basil was a washed-out aging queen, etc. It was rather disappointing, except for the fact that the actor playing Dorian Gray was hot and got completely naked. I was sitting in the first row, so his balls were hanging in front of my face when he was doing some sort of a monologue.  :lol:

Avant-garde theatre: :thumbsup:

CountDeMoney

I've got tix to Chaz Palminteri's "A Bronx Tale" next week.  Nothing like experimental, avant-garde Mob theatre.

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2009, 03:21:15 PM
I was sitting in the first row, so his balls were hanging in front of my face when he was doing some sort of a monologue.  :lol:

You should have started sucking them.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points