Start Hoarding Wonder Bread, Wheat Rot to Cause World Famine

Started by jimmy olsen, February 28, 2010, 11:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

I keep reading this as Stevie Wonder's bread is making the world's wheat rot.

DGuller

When we first came to US, our relatives who have already been living here warned us that American bread is different from what we were used to.  It was utterly tasteless, over-processed crap, unsuitable for consumption all by itself.  It turns out they were understating the difference.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 01, 2010, 04:37:59 PM
When we first came to US, our relatives who have already been living here warned us that American bread is different from what we were used to.  It was utterly tasteless, over-processed crap, unsuitable for consumption all by itself.  It turns out they were understating the difference.

What is Russian bread like?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on March 01, 2010, 05:25:52 PM
Fresh, for one.  It's baked on the same day it is sold, or pretty close.  There were even special stores that only sold bread products.  It was also not packed in air-tight plastic packages, so it had a very crunchy and delicious crust.

Those are my memories from 15 years ago.  I'm not sure what bread is like now, there are pretty strong economic incentives to just sell the pre-packaged carton in supermarkets, I'm sure.  Then again, I doubt that Russians would tolerate stale bread any more than they would tolerate lack of vodka, so I dunno.

However, Americans can get pretty close to tasting the real bread.  In New York City area, you can order freshly baked and frozen whole-wheat bread on FreshDirect, and keep it frozen.  Once you warm it up in a toaster, just enough to make it warm, but not enough to actually toast it, it tastes very much like a genuine Russian bread.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on March 01, 2010, 05:34:14 PM
Fresh, for one.  It's baked on the same day it is sold, or pretty close.  There were even special stores that only sold bread products.  It was also not packed in air-tight plastic packages, so it had a very crunchy and delicious crust.

Luckily for us, unlike Eastern Europeans and Russians, we don't have to raise or produce our own food on a daily basis.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: DGuller on March 01, 2010, 05:34:14 PMThere were even special stores that only sold bread products. 

We call those bakeries

DGuller

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 01, 2010, 05:37:52 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 01, 2010, 05:34:14 PMThere were even special stores that only sold bread products. 

We call those bakeries
Not the same thing.  The Russian bread stores contained mainly simple bread.  It was pretty much like a bread section in the supermarket.  American bakeries specialize more in stuff like pastries.

Cecil

The thing that struck me when I went over there for vacation was how sweet all the baked products tasted. Much sweeter than I´m used to. Didnt fancy it at all.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on March 01, 2010, 05:34:14 PM

Those are my memories from 15 years ago.  I'm not sure what bread is like now, there are pretty strong economic incentives to just sell the pre-packaged carton in supermarkets, I'm sure.  Then again, I doubt that Russians would tolerate stale bread any more than they would tolerate lack of vodka, so I dunno.

However, Americans can get pretty close to tasting the real bread.  In New York City area, you can order freshly baked and frozen whole-wheat bread on FreshDirect, and keep it frozen.  Once you warm it up in a toaster, just enough to make it warm, but not enough to actually toast it, it tastes very much like a genuine Russian bread.

At least in the larger cities in Canada, fresh baked is pretty common.

I never buy my bread in a supermarket - there is a bakery at the end of my street. I'm pretty sure they make real bread.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Cecil on March 01, 2010, 05:57:16 PM

The thing that struck me when I went over there for vacation was how sweet all the baked products tasted. Much sweeter than I´m used to. Didnt fancy it at all.

I agree. Especially the mass-produced bread like Wonder. It's like a fluffy air-filled sugar bread. You buy a big loaf that's a foot long, but if you squeeze it together into a ball it's the size of your fist. Luckily, all grocery stores have lots of real breads to choose from as well now.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

This times six or so is what the inside of a typical Russian bread store looks like, or at least how I remember it.