Start Hoarding Wonder Bread, Wheat Rot to Cause World Famine

Started by jimmy olsen, February 28, 2010, 11:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Or you know, we could just plant rhye or barley or corn or some other grain instead. Seriously, way too hysterical.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/02/start-hoarding-wonder-bread.html
QuoteStart Hoarding Wonder Bread

27 Feb 2010 10:52 am

by Graeme Wood

The world's wheat is defenseless against a new fungus that causes stem rot.  Brendan Koerner says a billion people could die:

The pathogen has already been detected in Iran and may now be headed for South Asia's most important breadbasket, the Punjab, which nourishes hundreds of millions of Indians and Pakistanis. What's more, Ug99 could easily make the transoceanic leap to the United States. All it would take is for a single spore, barely bigger than a red blood cell, to latch onto the shirt of an oblivious traveler. The toll from that would be ruinous; the US Department of Agriculture estimates that more than 40 million acres of wheat would be at serious risk if Ug99 came to these shores, where the grain is the third most valuable crop, trailing only corn and soybeans. The economic loss might easily exceed $10 billion; a simple loaf of bread could become a luxury.

The fungus, called Ug99 (sounds a bit like Ice 9, and acts a bit like it too), is a new strain of the same stuff that the late Norman Borlaug won the Nobel for defeating, and thereby possibly saving more lives than anyone has ever lived.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

A billion people could die and at least another billion will lose weight from staying away from so many carbs.  I say it's a win-win.

Cecil

Correction. A billion third worlders could die. Around here it would be "Huh price of bread has gone up a lot lately" and then we wouldnt care overly much.  :P

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher