Homosexuality in the Bible: David and Jonathan

Started by Malthus, February 26, 2010, 05:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 01, 2010, 06:42:15 PM
People who use bourgeois in casual everyday conversation should be punched in the face. :mad:
Come over here and try.  :mad:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

citizen k

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2010, 06:55:03 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 01, 2010, 06:42:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2010, 08:47:02 PM
I was told that my apt looks bougie. :(
People who use bourgeois in casual everyday conversation should be punched in the face. :mad:

I think people who ever use bougie should be kicked in the nuts.
Then we agree. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2010, 04:38:20 PMNow, that being noted, it is clear that generations of believers have held that homosexualty is wrong, based on Leviticus. But the same people have no problem accepting that (say) shaving off their beards is okay, because that was a mere ritual matter ...

That's most likely more a case of a selective retrospection than an actual tradition - after all the prejudice against homosexuality (or, more precisely, any sexual behaviour that does not turn us on) is a psycho-biological phenomenon. So it is not inconceivable that the successor generations simply put a greater emphasis on practices they found repulsive than something that does not inspire a visceral reaction like this (like mixing fabrics, or shaving beards).

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2010, 06:30:28 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 01, 2010, 06:19:58 PM
There is no concrete evidence that David existed.  If he did exist, there is little reason to believe that the stories about David and Jonathan are accurate biographical details, as opposed to a literary trope as part of an effort to explain away a dynastic change (and David's apparent betrayal of his liege, Saul).  If the question is whether the liteary character of David as portrayed in the Bible is gay, I suppose it could be a matter for discussion, but only if one realizes that is a profoundly anachronistic effort.

It doesn't matter whether the characters of the OT actually existed or not, for the question of how the writers of the OT felt about certain social or sexual practices portrayed. 

Also, it seems odd to me to have produced so profoundly ambiguous a literary character as David, if the intent was to create a mythology to explain or justify the reign. He's certainly not portrayed as a faultless hero - far from it.

Exactly the point.  I started a thread over on the server a couple years back after reading Finkelstein's book http://books.google.ca/books?id=uH7Kg9yEc7AC&dq=david+and+solomon&source=bl&ots=h_sU1FmVqw&sig=PiiXrXn0GXzjMXglAAzIyx3i3j8&hl=en&ei=R2iMS6ysJpOuswOBifi_Aw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CCAQ6AEwBg so I wont retrace those steps.

But it does seem odd that if David is largely a creation of later authors to suite their then political needs it is intriguing that they would create such a hero with so many warts. 

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on March 01, 2010, 07:39:31 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2010, 04:38:20 PMNow, that being noted, it is clear that generations of believers have held that homosexualty is wrong, based on Leviticus. But the same people have no problem accepting that (say) shaving off their beards is okay, because that was a mere ritual matter ...

That's most likely more a case of a selective retrospection than an actual tradition - after all the prejudice against homosexuality (or, more precisely, any sexual behaviour that does not turn us on) is a psycho-biological phenomenon. So it is not inconceivable that the successor generations simply put a greater emphasis on practices they found repulsive than something that does not inspire a visceral reaction like this (like mixing fabrics, or shaving beards).

I'm a bit skeptical of assigning overmuch uniformity to human sexual behavior over time. There is so much cultural variation that it seems what is considered visceral to one cultural background means nothing to another.

Consider the visceral reaction of repulsion re: eating pigs, common in some places - because pigs are associated with filth. It is understandable but, obviously, not shared by all cultures.

I'm not convinced that a 'repulsion' of homosexuality is any more natural or inevitable; certainly it was not shared by ancient cultures existing at the same time as the OT (the OT states as much! Though certainly not an unimpeachable source, it is true that other ancient cultures did not find homosexuality an 'abomination' as stated in Leviticus - which states 'don't do what the filthy foreigners do'):

QuoteAnd the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, "Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, I am the LORD your God.  You shall not do as they do in the land of Egypt, where you lived, and you shall not do as they do in the land of Canaan, to which I am bringing you. You shall not walk in their statutes.

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

"Do not make yourselves unclean by any of these things, for by all these the nations I am driving out before you have become unclean, and the land became unclean, so that I punished its iniquity, and the land vomited out its inhabitants.

So keep my charge never to practice any of these abominable customs that were practiced before you, and never to make yourselves unclean by them. I am the LORD your God."
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2010, 06:27:34 PM
I thought it was more like whether or not the literary character had homosexual relations (i.e. relations with members of his own sex).

Sex is a physical act, and hence cannot be engaged in by literary constructs.
There is no sex scene between the two in the narrative if that is the question.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

It doesn't matter whether the characters of the OT actually existed or not, for the question of how the writers of the OT felt about certain social or sexual practices portrayed. 

If that is the question, however, then that requires making an attempt to understand the mental world and cultural presuppositions of those writers.  That can't be done by applying a straight textual reading, shaded by our own understanding of same sex relationships in the 21st century.

QuoteAlso, it seems odd to me to have produced so profoundly ambiguous a literary character as David, if the intent was to create a mythology to explain or justify the reign. He's certainly not portrayed as a faultless hero - far from it. 

That is typical of all ancient mythology and legend literature - think of the origin and antics of the Greek gods, or the stories of Hercules or Gilgamesh.  Even where ancient literature has a propagandistic purpose, it doesn't and can't be expected to operate like modern propaganda.  David is a kind of archetype, and the narrative associated with him follows certain patterns: e.g., the young man who is popular and full and promise ousts the legitimate heir, bringing about a golden age - however, eventually he falls into sin (due to involvement with a woman or women), and finally he ages into decrepitude as the kingdom falls into strife (this is story of both David and Solomon - there are other parallels in the two narratives as well)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

There is no concrete evidence that David existed.  If he did exist, there is little reason to believe that the stories about David and Jonathan are accurate biographical details, as opposed to a literary trope as part of an effort to explain away a dynastic change (and David's apparent betrayal of his liege, Saul).  If the question is whether the liteary character of David as portrayed in the Bible is gay, I suppose it could be a matter for discussion, but only if one realizes that is a profoundly anachronistic effort.

There's no concrete evidence that a lot of people existed though we generally believe they did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2010, 11:05:16 AM

There's no concrete evidence that a lot of people existed though we generally believe they did.

Correction.  You generally believe they did.  Most others are either indifferent or accept all the stories as myth.

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 02, 2010, 10:57:49 AM

If that is the question, however, then that requires making an attempt to understand the mental world and cultural presuppositions of those writers.  That can't be done by applying a straight textual reading, shaded by our own understanding of same sex relationships in the 21st century.

Which is why I'm discussing the issue, rather, in the context of the known types of relationships that existed between young warriors in the cultures we know about that were contempraneous - such as those of the Greeks. The David-figure, real or construct, existed in a world where the Israelites were quite familiar with this, via contact and conflict with the Philistines.

That is typical of all ancient mythology and legend literature - think of the origin and antics of the Greek gods, or the stories of Hercules or Gilgamesh.

Not necessarily figures used for ancient propaganda, though.

QuoteEven where ancient literature has a propagandistic purpose, it doesn't and can't be expected to operate like modern propaganda.  David is a kind of archetype, and the narrative associated with him follows certain patterns: e.g., the young man who is popular and full and promise ousts the legitimate heir, bringing about a golden age - however, eventually he falls into sin (due to involvement with a woman or women), and finally he ages into decrepitude as the kingdom falls into strife (this is story of both David and Solomon - there are other parallels in the two narratives as well)

Sounds like a variation on Joseph Campbell's "hero with a thousand faces". However, your reading of the narrative is too simple on exactly the point under discussion - in the narrative, David does not "oust" the legitimate heir, but is his best friend (or lover, or both). He takes the throne after the heir is offed by Philistines. Moreover, the "golden age" is more associated with Solomon than David (David's reign was more a time of strife), and even then, the narrative is profoundly ambiguous about how "golden" that age really was; remember Rehoboham's 'my father chastised you with whips ..." speech.

In short, as a canned narrative or archetype, it seems to closely mirror a plausible reality; the story of David and his family would not look out of place if you attributed it to the Ceasars or indeed many a real, existing ruling clan (no doubt one highly coloured or exaggerated in many ways - no way was the kingdom of David anything like as prominent as alleged in the OT, assuming it even existed).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 02, 2010, 10:33:47 AM
Sex is a physical act, and hence cannot be engaged in by literary constructs.
There is no sex scene between the two in the narrative if that is the question.

:moon:

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 02, 2010, 11:49:05 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2010, 11:05:16 AM

Correction.  You generally believe they did.  Most others are either indifferent or accept all the stories as myth.

I'm talking about widely accepted historical figures.  For instance, Catullus. There's no grave of Catullus.  There are no artifacts.  There are his own works and a few references to him in the surviving works of others.  In short no concrete evidence. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017