Started by Malthus, February 26, 2010, 05:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Syt

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on February 28, 2010, 02:07:32 PM
Sounds like the first Bromance to me. :bleeding:

Oddly, the fifth search result for bromance is:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

citizen k

Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2010, 02:09:32 PM

"Dammit David, you always get to hold the head."

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2010, 02:09:32 PM

And now we have a pic of David giving Jonathan head. What more proof does anyone need?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Malthus, the interesting thing about those passages is that they were written long after the events.  Why did the authors write text that could potentially be considered contrary to the Law?  One answer might be that in the oral traditions David did a lot of things that were contrary to the Law.  Killed, coveted a wife etc.  What is one more transgression? Without including those people would know the written account was incomplete. It is one of the things that fascinates me most about the OT.  The characters are made to feel very human.  As opposed to the NT which is the story of a God made flesh. 

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2010, 03:42:00 PM
Malthus, the interesting thing about those passages is that they were written long after the events.  Why did the authors write text that could potentially be considered contrary to the Law?  One answer might be that in the oral traditions David did a lot of things that were contrary to the Law.  Killed, coveted a wife etc.  What is one more transgression? Without including those people would know the written account was incomplete. It is one of the things that fascinates me most about the OT.  The characters are made to feel very human.  As opposed to the NT which is the story of a God made flesh.

Well, that's very true, the Bible certainly isn't reticent about the wrongdoings of the house of David! Quite unlike most other civilizations of the near east, whose official chronicles about their own rulers tend to be more in the nature of pangyrics.

For example, the dying David's instructions to his son Solomon reads exactly like those you would imagine a mafia don issuing (in essence, 'kindly have all my enemies killed after I'm gone')

OTOH, I think that what is at work is two very different situations: the "abomination" of (male) homosexuality in Leviticus may have been specific to imitating the ritual practices of Judea's neighbours. That's the framing of the passage, where it says 'don't do the filthy practices of the horrible Egyptians and Caananites'. What they may have been warning folks against was acting like Elgabalus - not specifically about what young warriors get up to in army camp. The latter may have been perhaps tolerated - evidence of ancient practice outside of the priestly writings of the OT is lacking. Certainly, the Greeks saw nothing wrong with that sort of thing, and the Israelites were in pretty close contact with them via the Philistines.

Now, that being noted, it is clear that generations of believers have held that homosexualty is wrong, based on Leviticus. But the same people have no problem accepting that (say) shaving off their beards is okay, because that was a mere ritual matter ...

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

There is no concrete evidence that David existed.  If he did exist, there is little reason to believe that the stories about David and Jonathan are accurate biographical details, as opposed to a literary trope as part of an effort to explain away a dynastic change (and David's apparent betrayal of his liege, Saul).  If the question is whether the liteary character of David as portrayed in the Bible is gay, I suppose it could be a matter for discussion, but only if one realizes that is a profoundly anachronistic effort. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 01, 2010, 06:19:58 PM
If the question is whether the liteary character of David as portrayed in the Bible is gay, I suppose it could be a matter for discussion, but only if one realizes that is a profoundly anachronistic effort. 

I thought it was more like whether or not the literary character had homosexual relations (i.e. relations with members of his own sex).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 01, 2010, 06:19:58 PM
There is no concrete evidence that David existed.  If he did exist, there is little reason to believe that the stories about David and Jonathan are accurate biographical details, as opposed to a literary trope as part of an effort to explain away a dynastic change (and David's apparent betrayal of his liege, Saul).  If the question is whether the liteary character of David as portrayed in the Bible is gay, I suppose it could be a matter for discussion, but only if one realizes that is a profoundly anachronistic effort.

It doesn't matter whether the characters of the OT actually existed or not, for the question of how the writers of the OT felt about certain social or sexual practices portrayed. 

Also, it seems odd to me to have produced so profoundly ambiguous a literary character as David, if the intent was to create a mythology to explain or justify the reign. He's certainly not portrayed as a faultless hero - far from it.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2010, 08:47:02 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 26, 2010, 07:42:07 PM
As ever the bourgeois fuck everything up.

I was told that my apt looks bougie. :(
People who use bourgeois in casual everyday conversation should be punched in the face. :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 01, 2010, 06:42:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2010, 08:47:02 PM
I was told that my apt looks bougie. :(
People who use bourgeois in casual everyday conversation should be punched in the face. :mad:

I think people who ever use bougie should be kicked in the nuts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.