Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Warhol was

A Great Artist
10 (31.3%)
A Con Artist
22 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Savonarola

I was watching Sister Wendy Beckett last night and when she got to Warhol she said something like "Andy Warhol; great artist or con artist?  The jury is still out on that."  If there's one jury I wouldn't want to try me, it's Languish.  So I thought I'd post the question here.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Martinus

I think this is a false alternative. All artists are con-artists from a certain perspective, and the greatest of artists are also the most successful con-artists.

After all, who in their right mind would pay millions of dollars for a collection of natural pigment splashes, on a piece of rag woven out of common plant, and nailed to four pieces of wood, yet we are perfectly happy to do so for Mona Lisa. If that's not con-art, I don't know what is.

Edit: Btw, I absolutely adore Sister Wendy Beckett. If all Christians were like her, I'd convert back.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2009, 10:24:22 AM
Edit: Btw, I absolutely adore Sister Wendy Beckett. If all Christians were like her, I'd convert back.

Thank God we're not all like her, then.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

Great artist.

Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2009, 10:24:22 AMAfter all, who in their right mind would pay millions of dollars for a collection of natural pigment splashes, on a piece of rag woven out of common plant, and nailed to four pieces of wood, yet we are perfectly happy to do so for Mona Lisa. If that's not con-art, I don't know what is.
Mona Lisa is painted on wood, not canvas. :smarty:

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

DontSayBanana

Both. Materially, no one in their right mind would pay for the art. It's the innovation of the concept that you're paying for, and it takes a great con artist to make you see that innovation as such.
Experience bij!

saskganesh

tough. he did iconic stuff, but was overshadowed by his own vacuous celebrity. voted con, with misgivings.

humans were created in their own image

Queequeg

Con.  I've yet to really "get" any art after the New Objectivity, to be honest, none of it connects the same way. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Queequeg on April 06, 2009, 11:35:32 AM
Con.  I've yet to really "get" any art after the New Objectivity, to be honest, none of it connects the same way. 
Word son.
PDH!

Martinus

Speaking of Sister Wendy, does anyone know where I can get her TV series in Region 2 encoding? I checked around but amazon.co.uk only offers to import it from the US (in Region 1 encoding) and HMV does not have it at all.

Queequeg

I think this is a false alternative. All artists are con-artists from a certain perspective, and the greatest of artists are also the most successful con-artists.

After all, who in their right mind would pay millions of dollars for a collection of natural pigment splashes, on a piece of rag woven out of common plant, and nailed to four pieces of wood, yet we are perfectly happy to do so for Mona Lisa. If that's not con-art, I don't know what is.
Can't agree here, at all.  The best works of art require months-years-of daily work.  Even the best Expressionist and Avant-Garde usually took some thought, work and skill.  Lichtenstein and Warhol?  Not so much.  I'd argue they'd have a tough time even claiming creativity, seeing as how the Russian Avant-Garde was doing similar things, only a lot better, 30 years before. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on April 06, 2009, 12:16:04 PM

Can't agree here, at all.  The best works of art require months-years-of daily work.  Even the best Expressionist and Avant-Garde usually took some thought, work and skill.  Lichtenstein and Warhol?  Not so much.  I'd argue they'd have a tough time even claiming creativity, seeing as how the Russian Avant-Garde was doing similar things, only a lot better, 30 years before.
It's still not worth it.

And, in music, it's even more ridiculous to think that way - Mozart allegedly spent minutes writing some of his pieces, and they went into history as the work of genius. Your approach would make Salieri a greater artist than Mozart, because he took pains to produce his work.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Queequeg on April 06, 2009, 12:16:04 PM

I disagree. It takes a lot of skill to achieve what both Lich and Andy created. It looks effortless. but is far from it. I also agree that most great artists have a bit of the grifter in them. or like say Van Gogh, they don't. And we know how that turned out.
:p

charliebear

I voted "con artist."  He took existing photos and silkscreened them.  What's so original about that?