Obama refuses to support UK sovereignty over Falklands

Started by Hansmeister, February 25, 2010, 06:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Martim Silva on February 25, 2010, 08:43:19 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 25, 2010, 08:39:00 PM
Britain doesn't really need to do anything.  The status quo works in the favour, and a single SSN could easily balk any military solution that Argentina might attempt.

Maybe. But what Argentina is doing now is denying the use of its ports to Britain. What this means is that all the gear and supplies for oil drilling operations now have to come from areas considerably to the North of the Falklands, and that makes an eventual extraction of oil more expensive, thus less appealing.

And if all nations in the area agree that Britain should not be down there, then the British companies will have to get their gear from Europe, which basically means no oil for London until it gets to $200+ a barrel.

Actually, Chile has no problem with ships to and from the Falklands.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on February 26, 2010, 02:50:37 AM
Britain doesn't really need to do anything.  The status quo works in the favour, and a single SSN could easily balk any military solution that Argentina might attempt.

Maybe. But what Argentina is doing now is denying the use of its ports to Britain. What this means is that all the gear and supplies for oil drilling operations now have to come from areas considerably to the North of the Falklands, and that makes an eventual extraction of oil more expensive, thus less appealing.

And if all nations in the area agree that Britain should not be down there, then the British companies will have to get their gear from Europe, which basically means no oil for London until it gets to $200+ a barrel.

Chile was and would be a problem for an Argentina at war but supplying the Falklands/Malvinas for oil wouldn't be practical given the geography.

Barrister

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 26, 2010, 03:09:17 AM

Chile was and would be a problem for an Argentina at war but supplying the Falklands/Malvinas for oil wouldn't be practical given the geography.

There's no question that Argentina would be more convenient, but support from Chile is certainly practical.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

via Cape Horn? Maybe that doesn't matter so much with modern vessels  :hmm:

Argentine diplomacy re the Falklands is completely hamfisted of course, their behaviour guaranteed to irritate the British and make them intransigent. They should cooperate with us and maximise trade and cultural links with the islands. It would be a long game, but after 50 years or so they'd probably be given them.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on February 26, 2010, 03:23:38 AM

[/quote]

There's no question that Argentina would be more convenient, but support from Chile is certainly practical.
[/quote]

As in better than nothing in the area, sure :)

Warspite

Oh no. We will have to gear from Europe? You mean we will be denied the vast stocks of advanced equipment and expertise sitting in the oil-rich Latin American states?

If only there were British companies that had some kind of expertise in oil exploration.  :(
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Larch

Nor has Uruguay. AFAIK, for fishing operations Montevideo is the port of choice in continental South America for fleets operating in the Falklands, so I guess that for O&G exploration it'd be the same.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 26, 2010, 03:31:40 AM

Argentine diplomacy re the Falklands is completely hamfisted of course, their behaviour guaranteed to irritate the British and make them intransigent. They should cooperate with us and maximise trade and cultural links with the islands. It would be a long game, but after 50 years or so they'd probably be given them.

Why would the island be "given" to them after 50 years?  The British citizens of the islands have no interest joining that banana republic and Argentina has no legitimate claim on the islands.  "Hey, those islands are pretty close to us" isn't really a serious claim.

Richard Hakluyt

Britain has given away about a quarter of the world in the past 70 years, all we need is a good excuse  ;)

Tamas

Isn't it against the Monroe Doctrine to confirm that the island belongs to Britain?  :hmm:

Neil

Quote from: Tamas on February 26, 2010, 07:26:16 AM
Isn't it against the Monroe Doctrine to confirm that the island belongs to Britain?  :hmm:
The Monroe doctrine is a dead letter.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 26, 2010, 07:14:34 AM

Why would the island be "given" to them after 50 years?  The British citizens of the islands have no interest joining that banana republic and Argentina has no legitimate claim on the islands.  "Hey, those islands are pretty close to us" isn't really a serious claim.
The inhabitants of Hong Kong didn't have much interest in joining a brutal murder-state either, but they did when the lease was up.  Self-determination doesn't much matter for small groups of people.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

This is outrageous. I hope he tries to make up for this by recognizing the UK sovereignty over all the UK North American colonies instead.

Martinus

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 26, 2010, 07:14:34 AM

It's funny, considering all US territorial gains EVER were based on that "illegitimate claim".  :lol:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017