News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New American embassy to have moat, trebuchet

Started by Ed Anger, February 24, 2010, 08:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

With e-mail and teleconferencing you don't even need embassies. Everyone can sit in a bunker in DC.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: The Brain on February 25, 2010, 10:45:07 AM
With e-mail and teleconferencing you don't even need embassies. Everyone can sit in a bunker in DC.

This should be required for all federal contractors. Would really improve the traffic situation around here.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2010, 08:39:25 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 25, 2010, 07:37:32 AM
The Canadian embassy in London is the coolest embassy in the world.

#2 is the US embassy in Cuba just because it looks so out of place & is full of irony.
You mean the Russian embassy in Havana, don't you?

Alright, that one isn't much better.

But the US embassy isn't so weird, it is just out of place. A modern glass wall building in seasalt délavé color neighborhoor.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on February 25, 2010, 12:53:57 AM
Quote from: Viking on February 24, 2010, 11:16:32 PM
Moving from Grosvenor Sq to Battersea? WTF? The Oslo embassy is moving, no longer will it be neighbour to the royal palace and is moving out to the suburbs. Same with the London embassy. :weep:
In Berlin they moved to the very center of the city, right next to the Brandenburg Gate. Doesn't seem to fit with their security strategy really.
In Bratislava they have a city centre embassy.
Its HORRIBLE.
You have the pretty old town with a few jolly foreign flags sticking out of top floor offices for various other embassies and there is the US embassy with its big razor wire fence and airlockesque gate.
Keep to the burbs.
██████
██████
██████

Warspite

#2 is the US embassy in Cuba just because it looks so out of place & is full of irony.

Canada House? A lovely building. There's also a marvellous building across the street, also facing Trafalgar Square, that has "CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY" emblazoned high across its front.

How unfortunate the US embassy is moving to Battersea - it has awful transport links.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 25, 2010, 10:39:37 AM
I don't see the trebuchet in the pic. :(

I lie in my thread titles. I was going to make the title vague, but decided against it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Oexmelin

Quote from: Warspite on February 25, 2010, 03:19:31 PM
Canada House? A lovely building. There's also a marvellous building across the street, also facing Trafalgar Square, that has "CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY" emblazoned high across its front.

IIRC, it was part travel office, part immigration office for new immigrants (who had to take CPR boats and/or CPR railway to get to the prairies).
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

:bash:

It's not an embassy!   :mad:

It's a High Commission.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on February 25, 2010, 05:17:16 PM

It's not an embassy!   :mad:

It's a High Commission.   :cool:
headquarters of the pot party? :unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

C.C.R.

Quote from: Warspite on February 25, 2010, 03:19:31 PM
How unfortunate the US embassy is moving to Battersea - it has awful transport links.

It should help cut down on the protesters outside, though...

Martim Silva

The Embassy won't be ready until they station some Sherwood Archers in it.

Richard Hakluyt

I would say it is more the Nine Elms area rather than Battersea; it is something of a post-industrial wasteland, diplomats from Detroit (if there is such a thing) will feel at home  :cool:

Incidentally, the Grosvenor Square site will be sold to some Qatari firm or another for "more than $1bn". So the move should be more or less neutral as regards cost.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on February 25, 2010, 05:17:16 PM

It's not an embassy!   :mad:

It's a High Commission.   :cool:

True & it only houses half the staff or something.

It's still a cool building.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

This reminds me of the last American embassy.  A young charming President takes over and a new Embassy design is chosen for London.  The design's characterised by walls of glass and symbolises the open and democratic nature of America.

Last time the President was killed and the embassy was completed just in time for massive anti-Vietnam protests, requiring the glass walls to be hidden behind far more substantial concrete walls for forty years :(

Edit:  Oh and you better get rid of that hideous eagle:

:bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 26, 2010, 11:18:29 PM
Last time the President was killed and the embassy was completed just in time for massive anti-Vietnam protests, requiring the glass walls to be hidden behind far more substantial concrete walls for forty years :(
I used to work a coupla hundred feet from the embassy, and never saw the concrete walls that hid the glass walls (just a line of concrete planters that hid the "dry moat").  It looked like this:

To what "concrete walls"  that hid the glass walls do you refer?  When were they installed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!