Main Menu

New American embassy to have moat, trebuchet

Started by Ed Anger, February 24, 2010, 08:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 26, 2010, 11:18:29 PM
Edit:  Oh and you better get rid of that hideous eagle:

:bleeding:
Bad, but not as bad as the solder smear on the wall of the UK's embassy in Brussels (pic on the right):

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Looks like horizontal wood paneling from the 70's.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2010, 04:31:03 PM
I used to work a coupla hundred feet from the embassy, and never saw the concrete walls that hid the glass walls (just a line of concrete planters that hid the "dry moat").  It looked like this:
That's what I mean.  Last time I went by there were the concrete planters and large mesh fences (and some chipboard walls) that hid the glass ground floor more or less entirely.

Agree on the smear in Brussels - love the look of that building generally, though :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2010, 07:57:09 PM
That's what I mean.  Last time I went by there were the concrete planters and large mesh fences (and some chipboard walls) that hid the glass ground floor more or less entirely.
Okay.  I thought you meant "hid the glass walls" as in completely.  Yeah, the original design didn't have security much in mind, as that was a more innocent era.  The improvisations were not attractive.

Frankly, I never thought Grosvenor Square was a particularly good place for either the embassy nor the Navy headquarters.  The HQ was at least in a period building, but security was a nightmare (and since I was the security officer for that building, it was my nightmare).  The embassy looked out of place and even out of time.

The one good thing about having the HQ where it was was that we got to work in civvies.

Bayraktar!

Warspite

I quite like the look of the embassy on Grosvenor Square.  :blush:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

grumbler

Quote from: Warspite on February 27, 2010, 09:09:51 PM
I quite like the look of the embassy on Grosvenor Square.  :blush:
But did you think it fit into that neighborhood?
I worked here:

This was the far side of the square:

I posted the embassy picture above.

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2010, 04:34:10 PMBad, but not as bad as the solder smear on the wall of the UK's embassy in Brussels (pic on the right):

The pic on the right is in Berlin, not Brussels. Unless they have built the same building twice. :unsure:

Richard Hakluyt

There will be slim pickings for the Embassy staff once they have relocated to Nine Elms. A good opportunity for some entrepreneurial type to open a cafe/bar/restaurant  :cool:

The new place will be remote from other countries embassies and the mainstream of London social life; does that matter nowadays though?

C.C.R.

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 28, 2010, 02:39:27 AM
The new place will be remote from other countries embassies and the mainstream of London social life; does that matter nowadays though?

A microcosm of US foreign policy?
:huh: