Americas bloc excluding US and Canada is proposed

Started by Savonarola, February 23, 2010, 11:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Suck it Gringos:

QuoteAmericas bloc excluding US and Canada is proposed 

Latin American and Caribbean nations have agreed to set up a new regional body without the US and Canada, Mexican President Felipe Calderon has said.

The new grouping would serve as an alternative to the Organisation of American States, the main forum for regional affairs in the past 50 years.

Mexico is hosting a summit of the Rio Group and the Caribbean Community (Caricom) in Cancun.

The summit has also reportedly backed Argentina's claim over the Falklands.

Ole!
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Caliga

The proposed name for the bloc will be the FAIL BLOC.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Good! So now Mexico can build the wall along the US/Mexican border, with some help from all his new friends on the block!   ;)

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Razgovory

That's kinda sad.  The Mexican economy has grown enormously and has been really moving toward first world territory in the last 10 years.  It has the possibility of joining the big boys club yet they want to turn back to the Latin American ghetto.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

katmai

Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2010, 01:34:20 PM
That's kinda sad.  The Mexican economy has grown enormously and has been really moving toward first world territory in the last 10 years.  It has the possibility of joining the big boys club yet they want to turn back to the Latin American ghetto.

Big fish, small pond?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: katmai on February 23, 2010, 01:34:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2010, 01:34:20 PM

Big fish, small pond?

Yeah, but that's something a country like France resigns themselves to.  Mexico can do better.

Grey Fox

Is Brazil included? Without it, this will go no where.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

They really don't want to be succesful first world countries do they?
██████
██████
██████

katmai

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 23, 2010, 01:51:25 PM
Is Brazil included? Without it, this will go no where.

It's an extension of the Rio Group which has following membership
* Argentina
    * Belize
    * Bolivia
    * Brazil
    * Chile
    * Colombia
    * Costa Rica
    * Cuba
    * Dominican Republic
    * Ecuador
    * El Salvador
    * Guatemala
    * Guyana
    * Haiti
    * Honduras
    * Jamaica
    * Mexico
    * Nicaragua
    * Panama
    * Paraguay
    * Peru
    * Uruguay
    * Venezuela
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

As long as Brazil's next president can keep Chavez & Argentina in check, this could work.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

The world can only benefit from more counterweights to US power.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on February 23, 2010, 02:14:13 PM
The world can only benefit from more counterweights to US power.

In that case, this is a bad idea.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson