News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cry For Me

Started by The Minsky Moment, February 19, 2010, 03:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 19, 2010, 03:48:39 PM
1998 GDP per capita (in current US Dollars)

Argentina - 8303
Brazil - 5077
Chile - 5355

2010 GDP per capita (IMF est projection)

Argentina - 7308
Brazil - 8923
Chile - 9333

Weird. Googling says Mexico has a GDP per Capital of around $12k, but I owuld never think Mexico was richer than Argentina and Chile.

Eddie Teach

The PRI must not have been so bad as the Peronistas.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 20, 2010, 01:01:16 PM
Peronism was only in charge of Argentina for a minority of the twentieth century.  The blame really deserves to go on the monsters of the various military regimes.  Them and the radicals like de la Rua and Menem.

QuoteI've got a great idea.  Let's discuss Pinochet's economic legacy.
Not that great.  Chile's doing well, but so's Brazil despite the fact that they didn't have an aggressively free market tyrant - indeed their reforms were (shockingly) put through by a democratic regime.  Same goes for Argentina in the period up to 1998.  I think the fact that Chile and Brazil were almost equal is pretty damning of Pinochet's economic legacy.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 20, 2010, 01:01:16 PM

PAN has been in power in Mexico for at least the last decade though.   :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Sure, but they probably had a less fucked up starting position than some of the banana republics.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 20, 2010, 03:08:21 PM
Sure, but they probably had a less fucked up starting position than some of the banana republics.

You mean Chile?  Yeah, they have the richest copper reserves in the world.  Half their economy is based on it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ender

I really hate economy.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Faeelin on February 20, 2010, 10:36:03 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 19, 2010, 03:48:39 PM
1998 GDP per capita (in current US Dollars)

Argentina - 8303
Brazil - 5077
Chile - 5355

2010 GDP per capita (IMF est projection)

Argentina - 7308
Brazil - 8923
Chile - 9333

Weird. Googling says Mexico has a GDP per Capital of around $12k, but I owuld never think Mexico was richer than Argentina and Chile.

You are probably looking at a PPP measure of GDP.  Under a nominal measure, Mexico is around $8000, or right in the middle of this 3 country group.

For comparison, in PPP terms Argentina and Chile would be around 14 and Brazil around 10.5. 

Argentina has been growing in PPP terms since 03, but not much in terms of either dollars or constant domestic prices.  Basically PPP is picking up the fact that Argentines can pay for domestic services (like haircuts or maid services) in depressed pesos, and is treating at as greater "wealth".  But in terms of what Argentina gross domestic product can command in the global marketplace, it has fallen behind.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson