Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Atleast you can move WoW.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2009, 03:49:26 PM
Thanks veep.

Check out what my yahoo search came up with. :D

QuoteFind and Compare prices on Free Downloads Of Adobe at Smarter.com.
you got to love these ads :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2009, 12:01:18 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 05, 2009, 04:30:17 PM
Speaking Computer, I bought a new Case yesterday.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2810

Nice case. I'll be putting an additional 1T HD into my new Thermaltake Armor MX this week, so I'm curious how it goes - supposedly it's very easy:

no screws, only the brackets.  It's wonderful :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on April 06, 2009, 10:23:53 AM

:yes:

Then I can also finally migrate my old "My Files" folder from my old PC. I like having one small HD or partition for the OS, one for software, and a third one for files (downloads, movies, pictures etc.), plus an external drive for backup.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Sounds like my Mac Pro.  In order to add an extra harddrive you literally just slide the drive in - you don't even connect any cables. :wub:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2009, 10:52:58 AM

Sounds like my Mac Pro.  In order to add an extra harddrive you literally just slide the drive in - you don't even connect any cables. :wub:

sounds more like a "computer" for amateurs, not pros. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2009, 10:58:39 AM

Spec-wise, the Mac Pro is one of the heaviest hitters on the market. I'd have one, except it's also got one of the heaviest-hitting price tags.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 06, 2009, 11:13:51 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2009, 10:58:39 AM

Spec-wise, the Mac Pro is one of the heaviest hitters on the market. I'd have one, except it's also got one of the heaviest-hitting price tags.

I'm not sure I'd buy another Mac Pro in 3-4 years (or whatever) as it really is expensive and overkill, but spec-wise and design wise it is far and away the nicest computer I have ever owned.  Its the only computer I've ever owned where the internals of the case are even beautiful and well thought out.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2009, 10:52:58 AM

still got the cables to connect, but 30 seconds of work is hardly a sweat.  And we don't pay twice what the computer is worth :P

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2009, 11:15:54 AM
I'm not sure I'd buy another Mac Pro in 3-4 years (or whatever) as it really is expensive and overkill, but spec-wise and design wise it is far and away the nicest computer I have ever owned.  Its the only computer I've ever owned where the internals of the case are even beautiful and well thought out.

Indeed. I've been drooling over them since I found out that the current gen comes standard with eight physical processing cores.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Alatriste on April 06, 2009, 12:53:36 AM
And I will add another comment: if you only want to read pdfs, don't use the Adobe reader, it's the worst piece of bloatware ever. Personally I use FoxIt, but there are many other pdf readers much smaller and faster than Adobe's.
Too late. :(

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2009, 01:47:11 PM
Quote from: Alatriste on April 06, 2009, 12:53:36 AM
And I will add another comment: if you only want to read pdfs, don't use the Adobe reader, it's the worst piece of bloatware ever. Personally I use FoxIt, but there are many other pdf readers much smaller and faster than Adobe's.
Too late. :(

You could always uninstall the Adobe Reader & install Foxit.  I've used Foxit for a couple years now & it runs much better for me than the Adobe product.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on April 06, 2009, 01:59:01 PM
You could always uninstall the Adobe Reader & install Foxit.  I've used Foxit for a couple years now & it runs much better for me than the Adobe product.
After schlepping the download for a couple hours I'm not inclined to repeat the procedure.  I'll stand pat.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2009, 02:19:25 PM
After schlepping the download for a couple hours I'm not inclined to repeat the procedure.  I'll stand pat.

:huh: I'd scrap the Adobe Reader in a heartbeat, just to get rid of the horrible memory mismanagement. No system with at least 512 MB of RAM should lag for more than a few seconds on a PDF file.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 06, 2009, 03:40:17 PM
:huh: I'd scrap the Adobe Reader in a heartbeat, just to get rid of the horrible memory mismanagement. No system with at least 512 MB of RAM should lag for more than a few seconds on a PDF file.
I'm probably going to use it a dozen times a year.  Given that fact a couple seconds lag doesn't seem so bad compared to another mongo download.