News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2009, 10:28:31 PM
Can a kraut or a kraut speaker tell me what the guy says at the end of Private Ryan as he plunges the bayonet into the Jew's treacherous Jew heart?

Haven't watched it in a while, but IIRC it was something along the lines of, "Be still, it'll be over soon."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Roger Corman's 'The Fall of the House of Usher'.  I'm almost at the end of Corman-Price-Poe collaborations and I think this is the best.  I've only got 'Masque of the Red Death' to go.  'Usher' is genuinely, and rather brilliantly, atmospheric.  Price puts in one of his best performance.  I think it is also aided by a decision to generally follow the Poe story.

'The Raven' for example was great fun, but not hugely linked to anything Poe ever wrote.  It stars Peter Lorre - at certain points playing the raven - and Karloff and Price as rival wizards in sixteenth century Spain.  Though it's enjoyable, especially the final duel between Karloff and Price and the early turn by Jack Nicholson, if I were a big Poe fan I think I'd feel a bit disappointed.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2009, 10:28:31 PM
Can a kraut or a kraut speaker tell me what the guy says at the end of Private Ryan as he plunges the bayonet into the Jew's treacherous Jew heart?

Here you have subtitles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuxpSSJBwW0
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 06, 2009, 10:48:35 AM
Roger Corman's 'The Fall of the House of Usher'.  I'm almost at the end of Corman-Price-Poe collaborations and I think this is the best.  I've only got 'Masque of the Red Death' to go.  'Usher' is genuinely, and rather brilliantly, atmospheric.  Price puts in one of his best performance.  I think it is also aided by a decision to generally follow the Poe story.

'The Raven' for example was great fun, but not hugely linked to anything Poe ever wrote.  It stars Peter Lorre - at certain points playing the raven - and Karloff and Price as rival wizards in sixteenth century Spain.  Though it's enjoyable, especially the final duel between Karloff and Price and the early turn by Jack Nicholson, if I were a big Poe fan I think I'd feel a bit disappointed.

I really liked what Corman/Price did in "Tower of London" with the Richard III theme.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 03, 2009, 10:17:55 PM
The 1939 French film The Rules of the Game

Excellent film. I can see why it ranks so high on so many best film lists. I get the feeling I'll have to watch it once or twice more to really appreciate everything that's going on.

See The Grand Illusion next (also by Renoir, from 1937.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eochaid

Saw The boat that rocked and Aliens vs Monsters this week-end.

The former is great, the latter is good :)

Kevin
It's been a while

Savonarola

Captain Courageous (1937)

Based on a novel by Rudyard Kipling, it's about a spoiled rich boy who falls overboard a luxury liner and ends up on a fishing boat where he remains for three months.  He learns the value of honest labor, how to be a man and stuff like that.  The film was adapted (with many plot changes) to Cabin Boy.

Spencer Tracy plays a Portuguese fisherman in the film.  He's had his skin darkened and has his hair put in curls; making him look like Harpo Marx in blackface.  His performance won him the Oscar; but the statue he received at the award ceremony was engraved "Dick Tracy." 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

FunkMonk

Quote from: Savonarola on April 06, 2009, 11:04:18 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 03, 2009, 10:17:55 PM
The 1939 French film The Rules of the Game

Excellent film. I can see why it ranks so high on so many best film lists. I get the feeling I'll have to watch it once or twice more to really appreciate everything that's going on.

See The Grand Illusion next (also by Renoir, from 1937.)
Yes, that was next on my queue.  ;)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Savonarola

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 06, 2009, 11:36:47 AM
Yes, that was next on my queue.  ;)

:thumbsup:

Quick bit of trivia the German Officer in the film is played by Erich von Stroheim; who is famous as a silent era director (and as the butler in Sunset Boulevard) but before all that he played the stereotypical villainous Hun in American World War I propaganda films. 

Ed Anger

Waterloo is next on my list. Found a region 0 DVD on Amazon marketplace for 3 bucks and waiting for it to arrive from Cali.

Raise high the black flags, my children. No prisoners. No pity. I will shoot any man I see with pity in him.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

BuddhaRhubarb

finished watching Season 2 of The Brit series "Nighty Night" by Julia Davis. :blink: Beyond the pale in terms of disturbing sociopathic behaviour. Makes Larry David look like Miss Manners.

7.5555 husbands floating in ponds outta 10
:p

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 06, 2009, 12:31:37 PM
Waterloo is next on my list. Found a region 0 DVD on Amazon marketplace for 3 bucks and waiting for it to arrive from Cali.

That hard to find in the U.S.? Most electronic stores here with a decent size DVD department have a section for arthouse, classics or similar.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 06, 2009, 12:32:31 PM
finished watching Season 2 of The Brit series "Nighty Night" by Julia Davis. :blink: Beyond the pale in terms of disturbing sociopathic behaviour. Makes Larry David look like Miss Manners.

7.5555 husbands floating in ponds outta 10
Oh I love that show.  It's hilarious :blush:

Her mourning dance is incredible.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2009, 12:38:24 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 06, 2009, 12:31:37 PM

That hard to find in the U.S.? Most electronic stores here with a decent size DVD department have a section for arthouse, classics or similar.

No region 1 disc.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive