News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

French wine scandal in the US

Started by The Larch, February 19, 2010, 06:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

In case wine connoisseus (Minsky and Gupta, basically) are interested.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8520980.stm

QuoteFrance wine producers guilty of US scandal

A dozen French winemakers and traders have been found guilty of a massive scam to sell 18 million bottles of fake Pinot Noir to a leading US buyer.

The judge in Carcassonne, south-west France, said the producers and traders had severely damaged the reputation of the Langedoc region.

The 12 more than doubled profits passing off the wine to E and J Gallo under its Red Bicyclette brand.

E and J Gallo was not involved in the court case.

In a statement on its website it said it was "deeply disappointed" to learn its supplier, Sieur d'Arques, had been found guilty of selling falsely labelled French Pinot Noir.

'No complaints'

The court ruled the 12 had deliberately and repeatedly mislabelled the wine as one of the more expensive varieties of grape in order to get a better price from E and J Gallo.

The Red Bicyclette Pinot Noir single grape wine is hugely popular in the United States.

French Customs officers spotted the swindle and called in investigators.

They found the amount of Pinot Noir being sold to Gallo was far more than the region produced.

Some of those in the scandal were not even Pinot Noir producers.

The judge handed out suspended jail sentences ranging from one month to six months for the most prominent wine trader and ordered all the defendants to pay fines.

The fines ranged from 1,500 euros ($2,050; £1,300) to the top figure of 180,000 euros ($247,050; £156,500) for Sieur d'Arques. The judge said that the accused together made seven million euros in profits from the scam.

The judge said: "The scale of the fraud caused severe damage for the wines of the Languedoc for which the United States is an important outlet."

A lawyer for Sieur d'Arques, Jean-Marie Bourland, told Agence France-Presse: "There is no prejudice. Not a single American consumer complained."

A lawyer for three other defendants argued his clients had delivered a wine that had Pinot Noir characteristics.

E and J Gallo said it was no longer selling any of the wine to its customers.

Feel free to add the Simpsons' screencap with the French winemakers spiking wine with antifreeze.

The Larch

By the way, the Guardian article is funnier to read. BBC can be too cold and institutional at times.  :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/feb/17/gallo-conned-french-fake-pinot-noir

QuoteCe n'est pas pinot noir: E&J Gallo conned into buying cheap plonk from French vineyards

The Californian wine buff testing his glass of wine in the sunshine might have noticed many things from his mouthful of Red Bicyclette pinot noir: "dark fruit aromas", as the website proudly proclaims, or "flavours of black cherry and ripe plum". But if he had paused a little longer and maybe sniffed a little deeper, the connoisseur might have detected another, rather different note: the bitter taste of being had.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on February 19, 2010, 06:14:40 AM

Meh, I thought only pretentious "smarter-than-thou" intellisnots would be winetards.  Oh.  Wait.

Fucking wine fags.

DontSayBanana

I seem to recall a piece a while back suggesting certain "wine connoseiurs" could more accurately be described as "wine cons;" the piece suggested that they were making claims that couldn't possibly be backed up by the normal human olfactory sense.
Experience bij!

DisturbedPervert

Crap I hope this never happens with boxes of Franzia

Caliga

I avoid French wines. :)

Italian, Spanish, American, and Oz/Nz wines are all that I permit in my home. :smoke:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

QuoteThe Red Bicyclette Pinot Noir single grape wine is hugely popular in the United States.

You can make a wine with one grape?  Huh, must be a big grape.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Gups

Quote from: Caliga on February 19, 2010, 09:48:48 AM

Italian, Spanish, American, and Oz/Nz wines are all that I permit in my home. :smoke:

This would have looked American unless you read the label carefully. Of course, anyone buying Gallo isn't going to be bothered about what it tastes like.

The Minsky Moment

This story is a good illustration of the idiocy that goes on in the wine trade.  Pinot Noir is "hot" b/c of the sideways movie.  The problem is the pinot noir is a very tricky grape to grow and only makes decent wine in certain climates and soils.  The Languedoc is a completely unsuitable region for growing Pinot Noir, and I have never tasted, seen nor heard of decent pinot noir being grown there.  The only reason to consider sourcing PN grapes there would be that it is much cheaper than Burgundy and thus could hit Gallo's price point (with plenty of room for a fat profit margin). 

Syrah OTOH is a good warm weather grape that thrives in the Languedoc; apparently the scam here consisted of replacing Pinot with a Syrah-Merlot blend.  The irony here is that the consumer was probably far better off drinking the Syrah-Merlot blend than whatever crappy pinot noir that could be extracted out of Languedoc.  No doubt that is how the Languedoc producers justified their fraud to themselves.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Brazen

Heh, I like the idea of a court at Carcassonne.

lol can i be: cathars

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2010, 06:31:12 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 19, 2010, 06:14:40 AM

Meh, I thought only pretentious "smarter-than-thou" intellisnots would be winetards. 

"-you" not "-thou"

We pretentious intellisnots prefer the formal to the familiar second person.  Unless we've had too much wine.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2010, 06:31:12 AM
Meh, I thought only pretentious "smarter-than-thou" intellisnots would be winetards.  Oh.  Wait.

Fucking wine fags.

Joan told me it was my destiny to become one. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on February 19, 2010, 10:09:11 AM

This would have looked American unless you read the label carefully. Of course, anyone buying Gallo isn't going to be bothered about what it tastes like.

:face:

Haterade fail
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Agelastus

I avoid all wines. :yuk:

I much prefer spirits.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 19, 2010, 10:47:53 AMapparently the scam here consisted of replacing Pinot with a Syrah-Merlot blend.  The irony here is that the consumer was probably far better off drinking the Syrah-Merlot blend than whatever crappy pinot noir that could be extracted out of Languedoc. 

:lol:

Too true.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers