Main Menu

French wine scandal in the US

Started by The Larch, February 19, 2010, 06:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2010, 10:06:54 AM
QuoteThe Red Bicyclette Pinot Noir single grape wine is hugely popular in the United States.

You can make a wine with one grape?  Huh, must be a big grape.

I wish.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Veeery tangentially related, heard on NPR that American wine producers have coined a new term to describe high-end blended wines: meritage.  Wine snobs are incorrectly pronouncing it in the French style, the nobs know it's supposed to be pronounced a l'americaine.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2010, 03:20:39 PM
Veeery tangentially related, heard on NPR that American wine producers have coined a new term to describe high-end blended wines: meritage. 

That term has been used for at least 20 years.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

citizen k

QuoteMerlot, the comeback kid

Once a darling, then condemned by a movie––this grape deserves another taste
Pouring wine

Five years ago, a fictitious character shredded the reputation of one of the world's great grapes.

No matter that there's more Merlot than Cabernet planted in France's legendary Bordeaux region.

When Miles threw a tantrum in the movie Sideways at the prospect of someone ordering Merlot, a ton of us stopped buying it.

Yet just a few years before that, the grape was golden.

There's the rub: A wine is "discovered" by fans, gets planted in spades to chase the demand, and loses credibility because it really shouldn't have been planted in all those places.

Even so, don't write Merlot off. More and more West Coast winemakers are turning out versions that defy the wine's wimpy reputation.

We asked Jeff Smith, who recently launched a beautifully structured Merlot from his new Hourglass Blueline Vineyard, in Napa Valley, just what he was thinking.

ASK THE EXPERT:  Jeff Smith, Hourglass Blueline Vineyard

What do you love about good Merlot? Merlot is one of the most seductive wines in the world. It relies less on power and more on finesse, drifting toward red fruits (dark or sour cherry, raspberry) rather than the black fruits of Cabernet. Most important, its delicate balance and structure make it an incredible food wine.

Obviously, you planted Blueline long before the economy went south. Has it been hard launching a vineyard now―and with such a maligned grape? We've been fortunate, probably because of committing very precious land to Merlot. It's a site with some of the best-drained soils (an ancient, gravelly, upturned riverbed) that in the hands of our winemaker, Bob Foley, produce truly magical wines.

Our big challenge ahead has less to do with the economy and more to do with getting people over the hump to taste our Merlot. We're working for that lightbulb moment when they say, "Wow, that's what Merlot is all about."

So you don't think Merlot deserved Miles's scorn in Sideways? Of course, the true irony is that Miles's Holy Grail wine [the bottle he chugs with a burger at the movie's end] is Cheval Blanc, a Merlot-inspired Bordeaux! The fact that most people missed the irony highlights that we have a lot of educating to do.

5 TOP MERLOT PICKS

Firestone "Discoveries" Merlot 2007 (California; $10). With tart red cherries, a touch of mocha, and chalky tannins, there's a lot of Merlot here for the money.

Buena Vista Merlot 2005 (Carneros; $18). Spicy dark fruit, mocha, herbs, and leather are set off by the lively acidity and good bones that cool temps create.

Franciscan Merlot 2005 (Napa Valley; $22). Aromatic forest aromas surround minty berries and black cherries, with a touch of soft cocoa.

Chateau Ste. Michelle "Ethos" Merlot 2006 (Columbia Valley; $31). This is a plush, complex wine with lovely red fruit, vanilla, spice, herbs, and firm but velvety tannins.

L'Ecole No 41 Seven Hills Vineyard estate Merlot 2006 (Walla Walla Valley; $37). Dark chocolate, dried herbs, and mint accent beautiful black fruit from this Merlot pioneer in eastern Washington.

PAIR WITH:

Merlot goes best with hearty proteins–think beef, lamb, or pork–that are big on flavor. Try a glass with a pot roast, for a cozy winter night in.

Razgovory

I decided to look if there were images on the Internet of the Simpsons episode where they put anti-freeze in the wine.  I did find something far more amusing.  An honest question on Yahoo answers: "What percentage of antifreeze should I use for grape wine?"

QuoteI've heard from places that you can put antifreeze in wine and it acts as a preservative and keeps it fresh. But I've heard if you put too much in then it can cause harm. My question is, how much antifreeze would be too much? For reference, I will be making wine with fresh orchard grapes to sell at the fair down here. It's actually for my girlfriend to raise money for her school. Even if I could just use like 5% or 10% antifreeze it would save me a lot of money because I'm making like 50 bottles and I have spare antifreeze bottles lying around my shop. My other question is, what can I do to prevent the wine from turning green after I add it? I can use dark bottles but obviously when people pour it they will see it's green. Can I use food colouring in the wine to disguise it? Thanks for the help!!!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070104215402AA9cedB

The sad part was some people suggested an actual amount to put in the wine.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

I tried a merlot once, I found it too overpowering for me. Could someone suggest a more mild, perhaps fruity wine?

Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Minsky Moment

Merlot is not a particularly good "food wine" b/c it is rather low in acidity.

The best Merlot-based wine is made in Bordeaux and virtually all of it is blended.  "Meritage"-style.   :)  On its own, it tends too much to flabbiness.

The Ecole 41 wine from Washington is pretty decent, but it is also a blend.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

QuoteSo you don't think Merlot deserved Miles's scorn in Sideways? Of course, the true irony is that Miles's Holy Grail wine [the bottle he chugs with a burger at the movie's end] is Cheval Blanc, a Merlot-inspired Bordeaux!

Cheval Blanc is 57% cabernet franc! 
--Joan Robinson

Jaron

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 19, 2010, 04:03:27 PM
QuoteSo you don’t think Merlot deserved Miles’s scorn in Sideways? Of course, the true irony is that Miles’s Holy Grail wine [the bottle he chugs with a burger at the movie’s end] is Cheval Blanc, a Merlot-inspired Bordeaux!

Cheval Blanc is 57% cabernet franc!

:o Now THAT is a wine scandal!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Savonarola

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2010, 03:51:18 PM
I decided to look if there were images on the Internet of the Simpsons episode where they put anti-freeze in the wine.  I did find something far more amusing.  An honest question on Yahoo answers: "What percentage of antifreeze should I use for grape wine?"

QuoteI've heard from places that you can put antifreeze in wine and it acts as a preservative and keeps it fresh. But I've heard if you put too much in then it can cause harm. My question is, how much antifreeze would be too much? For reference, I will be making wine with fresh orchard grapes to sell at the fair down here. It's actually for my girlfriend to raise money for her school. Even if I could just use like 5% or 10% antifreeze it would save me a lot of money because I'm making like 50 bottles and I have spare antifreeze bottles lying around my shop. My other question is, what can I do to prevent the wine from turning green after I add it? I can use dark bottles but obviously when people pour it they will see it's green. Can I use food colouring in the wine to disguise it? Thanks for the help!!!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070104215402AA9cedB

The sad part was some people suggested an actual amount to put in the wine.

Great find, Raz, I like the best answer:

QuoteBest Answer - Chosen by Voters
Just use 50% per bottle, add green food coloring and some liquorice candies and call it absinthe. That way you can charge more and make a killing!!!

:lol:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Jaron on February 19, 2010, 03:56:35 PM
I tried a merlot once, I found it too overpowering for me. Could someone suggest a more mild, perhaps fruity wine?

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

Ask Marty.  He seems to always has some fruity whine going.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Ask Marty.  He seems to always has some fruity whine going.
:face:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!