And we're back!

Main Menu

How about those Sounders

Started by Viking, February 18, 2010, 08:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

pussies...

http://www.soundersfc.com/News/Articles/2010/02-February/Rosenborg-BK-Game.aspx

It wasn't the start the Sounders FC were hoping for when they entered the La Manga Cup, but after allowing a quick goal to Rosenborg BK Thursday in their first game of the Spanish leg of their preseason, Seattle held their own against the defending Norwegian champions.

Though they ended the match with a 3-0 loss, the Sounders took some positives steps in building to MLS First Kick March 25 at Qwest Field against the Philadelphia Union.

MLS suxxorz compared to minor pathetic European sides.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

katmai

From the Seattle times beat writer who covers the Sounders
A Seattle win would be shocking, in my opinion. The Norwegians are a successful, established team, which has been training for a while, and won't be as jet-lagged. I'll predict a 3-1 loss.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Agelastus

So, the La Manga Cup has nothing to do with manga...how disappointing.

I looked at the list of competitors. It seems to be a regular gig for Norwegian clubs (they are providing half the teams this year.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Viking

Quote from: Agelastus on February 18, 2010, 08:51:45 PM
So, the La Manga Cup has nothing to do with manga...how disappointing.

I looked at the list of competitors. It seems to be a regular gig for Norwegian clubs (they are providing half the teams this year.)

It's basically "spring training" for norwegian soccer.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on February 18, 2010, 08:22:39 PM
Which, in turn suxxorz compared to major Euro teams, which in  turn suxxorz when compared to a real sport like College Football.

Hell, even three-down football is better than Euro footie.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2010, 07:38:10 AM
Which, in turn suxxorz compared to major Euro teams, which in  turn suxxorz when compared to a real sport like College Football.

Which in turn "suxxorz" when compared to a real sport like Rugby Union...

But I know we'll never agree on that point! :P
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on February 19, 2010, 08:00:30 AM
Which in turn "suxxorz" when compared to a real sport like Rugby Union...

But I know we'll never agree on that point! :P
I played a bit of rugby when I lived in the UK, but never really considered it as a spectator sport.  I don't think it would make a great spectator sport, though, because so much of the action is hard to see.

As a participant sport, footie is superior to US football or rugby, IMO.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

pussies...

http://www.soundersfc.com/News/Articles/2010/02-February/Rosenborg-BK-Game.aspx

It wasn't the start the Sounders FC were hoping for when they entered the La Manga Cup, but after allowing a quick goal to Rosenborg BK Thursday in their first game of the Spanish leg of their preseason, Seattle held their own against the defending Norwegian champions.

Though they ended the match with a 3-0 loss, the Sounders took some positives steps in building to MLS First Kick March 25 at Qwest Field against the Philadelphia Union.

We know. We don't care.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 19, 2010, 10:12:19 AM
We know. We don't care.

Seriously. What grownup wants to play a kid's sport?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2010, 07:38:10 AM

That's because three down football is the king of sports - there is nothing better.  :Canuck:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2010, 10:10:41 AM
I played a bit of rugby when I lived in the UK, but never really considered it as a spectator sport.  I don't think it would make a great spectator sport, though, because so much of the action is hard to see.

It made a better spectator sport before some idiot thought up the ELV "experiment". :glare:

Anyway, as for Rugby being a great spectator sport? Well, Rugby's stadia in general are smaller (much smaller) than American Football stadia. However, the showpiece events at Twickenham (for example) get more spectators than the Superbowl.

It's a wonderful game to watch on television. The matches England had in the last World Cup against Australia and France nearly gave me a heartattack, they were both so tense. The few times I've watched the Superbowl I find all the interruptions spoil the tension and disrupt the viewing experience to much for my taste.

And last weekend's Scotland-Wales match? Absolutely unbelievable. At 10 minutes to go you think Scotland are going to have a convincing win, at 5 minutes you think Scotland are going to have a narrow win, with less than a minute to go you think its going to be a draw, and then with the very last attack of the game...Wales scores. Gripping television.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

The Larch

Quote from: Agelastus on February 19, 2010, 01:51:10 PM

It made a better spectator sport before some idiot thought up the ELV "experiment". :glare:

ELV?

Agelastus

Quote from: The Larch on February 19, 2010, 02:05:33 PM

ELV?

"Experimental Law Variations". Basically dickish rules thought up by a bunch of Australians (mainly) to create a more fluid, running game...because they didn't like the fact that their packs had turned into a bunch of useless pansies that were routinely getting dominated by their Northern kin.

Note that it was the pack (the forwards) that was their only problem. Their backs, the creative players, were still the best in the world.

Turned a great sport of rucks and rolling mauls into "kick and hope". Some of the matches I've seen in the last couple of years... :mad:

Fortunately, the majority of the ELVs look like they will not be adopted and will disappear into the ashcan of history - after being around just long enough to confuse the hell out of everybody and cause a major decline in skill at the maul. Which, if I was being paranoid, would suggest its what the Australians wanted. :glare:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

grumbler

Anyway, as for Rugby being a great spectator sport? Well, Rugby's stadia in general are smaller (much smaller) than American Football stadia. However, the showpiece events at Twickenham (for example) get more spectators than the Superbowl.
:huh:  The Superbowl gets 101,000+ if the stadium can hold that many.  The record for Twickenham was apparently 82,000 on the 5th of November 2006.  The Superbowl record is 103,667.

It may be true that Twickenham is larger than some venues that have sponsored the Superbowl, but this says nothing about either game. 

Bayraktar!