News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[PC]Civilization V coming!

Started by Syt, February 18, 2010, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

While I agree that SMAC 2 would be awesome; I also know that the "nostalgic niche gamer" market is really pretty damn small.

Civ keeps going, because it can at least manage to garner some appeal from the masses.

MadImmortalMan

New combat system is intriguing. I'd like to see some details on that. It's the one thing that has had basically no improvement since CIV1.

Grals---You can easily mod the tech tree to be divergent depending on the research choices you make. That would be an interesting basis for a mod, I think.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

A Dane on P'dox has summed up from a Danish games rag:
QuoteI just wrote down the main points of the article.

- Switch from squares to hexagons changing the way the game plays. More room for maneuvers and more tactical options.
- Changes to combat. More depth in combat, no more stacking of units. This will lead to bigger focus on terrain.
- Inspired by Panzer General.
- Reintroduction of Bombardment, now archers and siege equipment can shoot over melee units.
- Better diplomatic AI.
- More diplomatic options between players.
- Less "cheating" AI.
- Religion is not a factor anymore.
- Ressources are not infinite. For example one source of horse only supplies enough horses for 1 unit, but when that horseman dies the horses will respawn as a unit. (this confused me alittle, i guess we will have to watch it in action)
- City States as a sort of small countries that never develop beyond their single city. They can provide bonusses if you befriend them, or you can take over their land.
- Civics are out, now there is something called "Social Policies".
- About the same amount of wonders, the tech tree will feel familiar. Great People still in.
- Some victory conditions changed. For example in Conquest you only have to capture all the other capitals. Eliminates boring mop up phase.
- Unique Civ leader bonusses, no more standard "Spiritual" or "Financial".
- DirectX 11 support.
- Built in webbrowser. Sid Meier is also working on a facebook application of Civilization.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grallon on February 18, 2010, 01:37:28 PM
I've often stated here how Civ games are always built on the same model: start point A - run your civ through the tech tree - end point Z - thus linear.

Even though Im sure you got my point but was only trying to be snarky :)

That is at the core of what Civ as a game is.  It's like complaining about American football because players can use their hands to touch the ball and there are too many breaks in play.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Agelastus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 18, 2010, 04:22:35 PM
That is at the core of what Civ as a game is.  It's like complaining about American football because players can use their hands to touch the ball and there are too many breaks in play.

Agree with the first part, not with the second part. American football does have too many breaks in play. I am fairly sure that I have read that when the rules were originally codified the game did not have as many breaks in play as it does today. I much prefer the fluidity of Non-ELV Rugby Union.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Jacob

Fuck yeah!  Can't wait to get this!

Too bad that they're taking religions out, they're a lot of fun.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on February 18, 2010, 04:30:14 PM
Fuck yeah!  Can't wait to get this!

Too bad that they're taking religions out, they're a lot of fun.

Probably saving it for an add on.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Fate

I like that they're returning more to a Civ3/SMAC look rather than the cartoonish style of Civ4.

Josquius

I was thinking its odd that there seemed to be a age between 2 and 3 then 4 came soon and now 5...but checking back 4 came out 5 years ago. Doesn't seem so long ago.

I approve.
██████
██████
██████

Seen

I love the hexes, hope the 'none stacking' will work in mp and lets hope religion is modded in asap.

Cant wait :)

PDH

Panzer Civilization sounds cool.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

I'm disappointed noone said the map sucks. :(

I'm kinda sad they are removing religions but otherwise it looks cool.

Grallon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 18, 2010, 04:22:35 PM

Terrible analogy.  The development of a civilization shouldn't be equated with the progress of a game set with arbitrary rules.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on February 18, 2010, 05:07:26 PM
Panzer Civilization sounds cool.

The Norway map is gonna be super hard.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive