And we're back!

Main Menu

[PC]Civilization V coming!

Started by Syt, February 18, 2010, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Syt on February 18, 2010, 03:07:11 PM
A Dane on P'dox has summed up from a Danish games rag:
QuoteI just wrote down the main points of the article.

- Switch from squares to hexagons changing the way the game plays. More room for maneuvers and more tactical options.
- Changes to combat. More depth in combat, no more stacking of units. This will lead to bigger focus on terrain.
- Inspired by Panzer General.
- Reintroduction of Bombardment, now archers and siege equipment can shoot over melee units.
- Better diplomatic AI.
- More diplomatic options between players.
- Less "cheating" AI.
- Religion is not a factor anymore.
- Ressources are not infinite. For example one source of horse only supplies enough horses for 1 unit, but when that horseman dies the horses will respawn as a unit. (this confused me alittle, i guess we will have to watch it in action)
- City States as a sort of small countries that never develop beyond their single city. They can provide bonusses if you befriend them, or you can take over their land.
- Civics are out, now there is something called "Social Policies".
- About the same amount of wonders, the tech tree will feel familiar. Great People still in.
- Some victory conditions changed. For example in Conquest you only have to capture all the other capitals. Eliminates boring mop up phase.
- Unique Civ leader bonusses, no more standard "Spiritual" or "Financial".
- DirectX 11 support.
- Built in webbrowser. Sid Meier is also working on a facebook application of Civilization.
I wonder if this means they'll cut down on the numbers of units? Looks like it. That could cut down on the sheer numbers of units in end game, which can become tedious to play out. Other changes to the battle system seem good, and it could use more flexibility. New ranged use of artillery, other ranged units, sounds good.

lustindarkness

Any rumors of when this comes out? Looks good to have for my next deployment.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Tamas

I am very excited by the apparent cut in unit numbers. That is what I hate in civgames, and that is what kills me against cheating AI: I just cant be bothered to wage war by moving all those mountains of units around. Gimme a break.

Tonitrus

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 19, 2010, 09:32:34 AM

I think the only thing one of the articles said was "Fall 2010"

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on February 19, 2010, 02:44:43 AM
LOL culture system is probably the best improvement done to the game system after Civ 2. Most people absolutely love it and it has been in each of the game iterations since then. Fat chance it is done away with.
It's not a problem if you're just conquering everything in sight.  It's a problem if you like playing a medium-sized civilization for the whole game, and want to grab an extra city or two in strategic location.  The enemy culture would choke off that city, which makes it even more impossible to effectively generate your own culture in that city, so you've got no way to make the city viable without further conquest.  Even the culture bombs frequently fail to detonate.

I'm not arguing that culture should be done away with completely, but it should be toned down so that it is much less likely to impede on the city squares.  Maybe you should have city squares be off-limits to a culture grab; regardless of culture percentages, the square belongs to the civilization with the city.  If there is ovelap between two cities, then have the culture be the tie-breaker.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 19, 2010, 10:28:10 AM

Yeah. http://www.civilization5.com/ says Fall 2010 also.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 05:46:49 PM
I'm disappointed noone said the map sucks. :(

I'm kinda sad they are removing religions but otherwise it looks cool.
Thsat would make Fall from Heaven a bit harder.
PDH!

KRonn

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 19, 2010, 11:20:04 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 19, 2010, 10:28:10 AM

Yeah. http://www.civilization5.com/ says Fall 2010 also.
Perhaps just in time for the Holiday season!

Malthus

I'd like to see more done with terrain. Something like attrition based on terrain type would be kinda neat, to avoid that "unbeatable stack of 50" problem.

Also, something similar to zones of control for units should be brought back. As it is, there is very little point to having fortresses, as units can cheerfully ignore them.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2010, 10:37:44 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 19, 2010, 02:44:43 AM
LOL culture system is probably the best improvement done to the game system after Civ 2. Most people absolutely love it and it has been in each of the game iterations since then. Fat chance it is done away with.
It's not a problem if you're just conquering everything in sight.  It's a problem if you like playing a medium-sized civilization for the whole game, and want to grab an extra city or two in strategic location.  The enemy culture would choke off that city, which makes it even more impossible to effectively generate your own culture in that city, so you've got no way to make the city viable without further conquest.  Even the culture bombs frequently fail to detonate.

I'm not arguing that culture should be done away with completely, but it should be toned down so that it is much less likely to impede on the city squares.  Maybe you should have city squares be off-limits to a culture grab; regardless of culture percentages, the square belongs to the civilization with the city.  If there is ovelap between two cities, then have the culture be the tie-breaker.

I usually don't have that problem, and I rarely go for all out conquest.  If you're running a strong culture, and have a few of the auto generate culture things going then the city usually ends up doing okay.

Alternately, you can conquer the adjacent cities and destroy them, if you don't want to conquer everything - or keep one or two as a culture buffer to give your new city room to expand.

Lettow77

Hope celts are in from the get-go this time around.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on February 19, 2010, 03:15:15 PM
I usually don't have that problem, and I rarely go for all out conquest.  If you're running a strong culture, and have a few of the auto generate culture things going then the city usually ends up doing okay.
There are two problems with this.  First, it takes an awful lot of time to catch up to the old owner's culture in the affected squares.  A huge fraction of the game time.  Second, it's usually hard to build the city up to generate its own culture when it's starved of city squares.
QuoteAlternately, you can conquer the adjacent cities and destroy them, if you don't want to conquer everything - or keep one or two as a culture buffer to give your new city room to expand.
Yes, that works, but that hardly qualifies as limited conquest.  Eventually you fall into the trap of having to keep expanding, because now your buffer cities are choked by the enemy culture.  The fact that capturing one city forces you to lay waste to a couple more is exactly one of the things I find very annoying.

Jaron

At least I won't have to look at Islamic Aztecs anymore.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

Everyone always ended up Buddhist or Hindu in my games.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017