News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[PC]Civilization V coming!

Started by Syt, February 18, 2010, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

One thing I want back- partisans.
I loved in Civ 2 where after a civ has the proper tech one of their cities is conquered and *boom* cool sound effects and free units in the hills.
Or is this actually in later ones and I've just somehow never encountered it...

QuoteLOL culture system is probably the best improvement done to the game system after Civ 2. Most people absolutely love it and it has been in each of the game iterations since then. Fat chance it is done away with.
I liked it. I'd want it improved even. In Civ 4 its not mallable enough, it takes most of the game to flip a city.

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 18, 2010, 10:26:26 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 18, 2010, 03:07:11 PM
A Dane on P'dox has summed up from a Danish games rag:
- Less "cheating" AI.

Bullshit. Cheating AI is a cornerstone of the Civ series.

Anyway, I've been playing Civ2 recently. I forgot just how much fun it is, and how much Civ3 sucks.
I note they just said less, not complete removal ;)
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

I love the end to city spam. One thing that have always annoyed me in late game of Civ is that you would have 20+ cities and need to micromanage them or just leave them to rot.

I also like the no-religion change after they explained how it was making the AIs to behave unrealistically in game terms.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2010, 03:55:48 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 19, 2010, 03:15:15 PM
I usually don't have that problem, and I rarely go for all out conquest.  If you're running a strong culture, and have a few of the auto generate culture things going then the city usually ends up doing okay.
There are two problems with this.  First, it takes an awful lot of time to catch up to the old owner's culture in the affected squares.  A huge fraction of the game time.  Second, it's usually hard to build the city up to generate its own culture when it's starved of city squares.

I honestly don't have that problem.  I usually find I can push back cultural boundaries in a reasonable amount of time.  Of course, I don't try to hold on to a newly conquered city that's surrounded on all sides by the former culture.

In any case, I think it's a gameplay challenge that can be overcome.

QuoteYes, that works, but that hardly qualifies as limited conquest.  Eventually you fall into the trap of having to keep expanding, because now your buffer cities are choked by the enemy culture.  The fact that capturing one city forces you to lay waste to a couple more is exactly one of the things I find very annoying.

Then don't :)

I find it an interesting challenge, and one that I can manage pretty decently most of the time.  Sorry that it's not for you, but I'm glad they're keeping it in.

DGuller

I'm not sure why you're being so combative.  Obviously anything in the game is part of the gameplay, I'm just pointing out how some game mechanics are not producing fun results.

I'm also not sure that they are keeping that feature.  I didn't see anything about how control of squares is determined for newly conquered cities.  Ideally once the squares are assigned to a city, they stick, so eventually the map starts being filled out with immutable irregularly-shaped provinces.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on March 12, 2010, 08:45:13 PM
I'm not sure why you're being so combative.  Obviously anything in the game is part of the gameplay, I'm just pointing out how some game mechanics are not producing fun results.

I don't think I'm being combatative, I was just chatting and pointing out how it hasn't produced not-fun results for me.  In fact, managing the cultures and borders is a nice side aspect of the game for me.

QuoteI'm also not sure that they are keeping that feature.  I didn't see anything about how control of squares is determined for newly conquered cities.  Ideally once the squares are assigned to a city, they stick, so eventually the map starts being filled out with immutable irregularly-shaped provinces.

Yeah, that sounds like it could be interesting.  It does sound like they're going to address your concerns, more or less, and what they're doing sounds interesting to me as well, so that could be a win for both of us :)

Jacob

One thing they better fix one way or another is the annoyance of getting combat and enemy notificactions at the beginning of the turn, only be jerked all over the map for various pop-ups so you have no idea where the combat happened.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Jacob on March 12, 2010, 08:59:43 PM
One thing they better fix one way or another is the annoyance of getting combat and enemy notificactions at the beginning of the turn, only be jerked all over the map for various pop-ups so you have no idea where the combat happened.
You are very aggressive today. 

I also agree.
PDH!

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on March 12, 2010, 08:59:43 PM
Yeah, that was beyond retarded.  If I'm quick enough, I would know that the enemy infiltrators destroyed my farm somewhere, but I'll be damned if I knew where without looking carefully through 30 cities.

Cecil

Quote from: Tyr on March 12, 2010, 03:51:36 PM
One thing I want back- partisans.
I loved in Civ 2 where after a civ has the proper tech one of their cities is conquered and *boom* cool sound effects and free units in the hills.
Or is this actually in later ones and I've just somehow never encountered it...

QuoteLOL culture system is probably the best improvement done to the game system after Civ 2. Most people absolutely love it and it has been in each of the game iterations since then. Fat chance it is done away with.
I liked it. I'd want it improved even. In Civ 4 its not mallable enough, it takes most of the game to flip a city.

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 18, 2010, 10:26:26 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 18, 2010, 03:07:11 PM
A Dane on P'dox has summed up from a Danish games rag:
- Less "cheating" AI.

Bullshit. Cheating AI is a cornerstone of the Civ series.

Anyway, I've been playing Civ2 recently. I forgot just how much fun it is, and how much Civ3 sucks.
I note they just said less, not complete removal ;)

The partisan thing was indeed Civ2. A fine mechanic imo as while the individual partisans were only a middling unit in strength the numbers spawned, often in defensive terrain made sure you had to keep a large garrison and they wore down your units pretty well if you tried to clear the neighbourhood of the city making rushing a bit more difficult unless you brought overwhelming forces. 

Razgovory

I always liked the cultural border (something that came from Alpha Centauri), but it would be nice if the game did give you a minimum of territory around a city so they wouldn't starve.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Be gooder if they just made SMAC2.
PDH!

Cecil

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 13, 2010, 06:50:01 AM
Be gooder if they just made SMAC2.

And I want someone making Freespace 3 but that aint gonna happen either mkay. <_<

Kleves

Civ V expansion announced for this spring:
QuoteIt will come as no surprise to those of you who are familar with expansion packs for previous Civilization games that Gods & Kings will add more techs, units, buildings, Wonders, and playable Civilizations. But what about the big brand new game elements that will change the way you conquer the world? Let me lay it out for you:

Tons of New Stuff. I know I just mentioned it, but I want to draw attention to just how many new things we've got here: 27 new units, 13 new buildings, 9 new wonders, and 9 new playable civilizations. Among the new civilizations are the Netherlands (William I, Prince of Orange), the Celts (Boudicca), and the Mayans (Pacal the Great).

Religion: That's right; quite possibly the most requested major addition to the game is coming in the Gods & Kings expansion. Using the new "Faith" resource, you'll be able to found your own religion and grow it from a simple Pantheon of the Gods to a world-spanning fully-customized religion.

Reworked Combat System: The expansion has a reworked combat system along with an AI that places more emphasis on balanced army composition. Among the changes to the combat system is the addition of melee naval units, which will force you to really rethink the way you execute your naval assaults.

Enhanced Diplomacy, with Espionage: In addition to being able to establish embassies with your rival civilizations, spies will now be an important part of how you conduct your foreign affairs. Surveying foreign cities, stealing advanced techs, and garnering influence with city-states are some of the things you'll be able to do with this new powerful mechanic.

New City-States: With religion being added to the game, it only made sense to introduce Religious city-states which will interact with your religion in special ways. In addition, Mercantile city-states will be attractive for those of you who love to grow your civilization's treasury. All city-states will use the greatly expanded quest system, making city-states more dynamic and diplomatic victories more challenging, while decreasing the importance of gold when dealing with city-states.

New Scenarios: Three new scenarios will be coming in Civilization V: Gods & Kings. Experience the fall of Rome, explore the medieval era, and my personal favorite: a unique scenario in a Victorian science-fiction setting.

My major problem with Civ V was that all civilizations played pretty much the same way. I would have liked to see an expansion that focused on making the civs more unique - especially the units.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Darth Wagtaros

Hopefully someone will make Fall From Heaven.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

I got Civ 5 a couple weeks ago and seem to have already lost interest.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?