BBC journalist Ray Gosling confesses "murder by compassion" on TV show

Started by Drakken, February 17, 2010, 03:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

BBC Journalist Ray Golsing has confessed, during a TV show, to have murdered his AIDS-ridden lover in hospital after learning that nothing could be done to relieve his pain. He tells he has smothered him with a pillow while the doctor was gone, and that "nothing was said" afterwards between him and said doctor when the latter came back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKFehQYOEV0

I have just read that he got arrested by the police today.

Any thoughts? Whether we agree it is murder or not, it takes an insane amount of guts to actually reveal it through a BBC show when he could have just keep it to himself. And you can tell that he still feels bad about it.

Martinus

DGuller

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2010, 03:15:43 PM
Wow that's really amazing. Don't know what to say.

Murdered gay and Mart doesn't think of anything to say?

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Drakken

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 17, 2010, 03:23:08 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 17, 2010, 03:17:06 PM
He needs the money from selling his story.

Has to be. Otherwise, he'd keep his mouth shut.

Or, just perhaps, because he does not want to keep this secret for himself anymore, and he hopes the government will amend the law in the future.

The Brain

Quote from: Drakken on February 17, 2010, 03:31:00 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 17, 2010, 03:23:08 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 17, 2010, 03:17:06 PM
He needs the money from selling his story.

Has to be. Otherwise, he'd keep his mouth shut.

Or, just perhaps, because he does not want to keep this secret for himself anymore, and he hopes the government will amend the law in the future.

Then it's no longer a secret, is it? So much for that theory.

MadImmortalMan

He'd have to be a fool to think there was any chance of that, really. Or completely isolated from reality. He is a journo after all.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Drakken

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 17, 2010, 03:53:37 PM

He'd have to be a fool to think there was any chance of that, really. Or completely isolated from reality. He is a journo after all.

The impact is not the same when some Joe-Blo remote in the country does it, and a BBC journalist publicly admits he has committed it on someone who was within hours of dying anyway and in excrutiating pain. Any jury will recognize that at least he didn't have the mens rea, even though on the letter it is murder.

And anyway, they have only his word for it. The doctor wasn't a witness to the act, and the police will need an autopsy made on a man who actually was within hours of dying from AIDS.

The Brain

That's pretty gross. I doubt they will find a doctor to perform it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Drakken on February 17, 2010, 03:10:04 PM

BBC Journalist Ray Golsing has confessed, during a TV show, to have murdered his AIDS-ridden lover in hospital after learning that nothing could be done to relieve his pain. He tells he has smothered him with a pillow while the doctor was gone, and that "nothing was said" afterwards between him and said doctor when the latter came back.

Any thoughts? Whether we agree it is murder or not, it takes an insane amount of guts to actually reveal it through a BBC show when he could have just keep it to himself. And you can tell that he still feels bad about it.

I suppose it takes a bit of guts to cold bloodily kill anyone.  I doubt I could bring myself to kill anyone.  Not even Pat, and he's a fucking rapist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2010, 04:03:15 PM
Quote from: Drakken on February 17, 2010, 03:10:04 PM

I suppose it takes a bit of guts to cold bloodily kill anyone.  I doubt I could bring myself to kill anyone.  Not even Pat, and he's a fucking rapist.

Is there another kind?

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2010, 03:15:43 PM
Wow that's really amazing. Don't know what to say.
try to think of what you would say if he wasn't gay.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Alexandru H.

Gays killed by gays... I guess it would be more efficient that way, rather than inventing a whole system of camps