BBC journalist Ray Gosling confesses "murder by compassion" on TV show

Started by Drakken, February 17, 2010, 03:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Alexandru H. on February 17, 2010, 04:37:00 PM
Gays killed by gays... I guess it would be more efficient that way, rather than inventing a whole system of camps

What do you think HIV is? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2010, 05:12:51 PM
Gays killed by gays... I guess it would be more efficient that way, rather than inventing a whole system of camps

God's punishment? :unsure:  :pope:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Drakken on February 17, 2010, 04:00:08 PM
And anyway, they have only his word for it. The doctor wasn't a witness to the act, and the police will need an autopsy made on a man who actually was within hours of dying from AIDS.

I'm no limey Barrister, but I'll bet sterling to doughnuts the brit criminal courts admit voluntary confessions in criminal cases.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Agelastus

I don't know why he has decided to admit it; there's pretty much a "don't ask, don't tell" attitude building up over here about such cases.

Give it another ten years and the law will get amended to allow the right-to-die anyway.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

MadBurgerMaker

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: The Brain on February 17, 2010, 03:17:06 PM
He needs the money from selling his story.

Just think of the stories he'll be able to sell after going to prison

Drakken

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 17, 2010, 06:02:36 PM
And anyway, they have only his word for it. The doctor wasn't a witness to the act, and the police will need an autopsy made on a man who actually was within hours of dying from AIDS.

I'm no limey Barrister, but I'll bet sterling to doughnuts the brit criminal courts admit voluntary confessions in criminal cases.

If he pleads guilty, yes they could. If he doesn't, for whatever reasons, doesn't the requirement of evidence still holds to validate that the confession is genuine and a crime has actually taken place? After all, he might be lying, fantasizing, or seeking attention. How can someone pleading not guilty be prosecuted relying only on his confession without either physical evidence or an able witness?

And I see very well Gosling pleading not guilty as a court referral for a constitutional defence, pleading that the current law on "murder by compassion" is unconstitutional. This does exist in Canada as well, in which an accused may plead that the law as written is unconstitutional or goes counter to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

One possible reason that he might be confessing is that the doctor, the only person who might have been a Crown witness on the crime scene, has died, and thus Gosling is the living only person to know the truth and feels safe enough to speak openly about it.

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 17, 2010, 06:02:36 PM

But doesn't the confession need to happen before the court?

I don't see people being arrested for admitting on the air they smoked pot for example, either. ;)

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on February 17, 2010, 06:03:28 PM
:yes:

Would there even be a case if he decides to plead not guilty (I don't think you need to state in the court why you are pleading not guilty - he can do this with a clear conscience because he believes he did not commit murder) and then refuse to testify (which I assume he can do)?

Octavian

Quote from: The Brain on February 17, 2010, 04:04:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2010, 04:03:15 PM
Quote from: Drakken on February 17, 2010, 03:10:04 PM

BBC Journalist Ray Golsing has confessed, during a TV show, to have murdered his AIDS-ridden lover in hospital after learning that nothing could be done to relieve his pain. He tells he has smothered him with a pillow while the doctor was gone, and that "nothing was said" afterwards between him and said doctor when the latter came back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKFehQYOEV0

I have just read that he got arrested by the police today.

Any thoughts? Whether we agree it is murder or not, it takes an insane amount of guts to actually reveal it through a BBC show when he could have just keep it to himself. And you can tell that he still feels bad about it.

I suppose it takes a bit of guts to cold bloodily kill anyone.  I doubt I could bring myself to kill anyone.  Not even Pat, and he's a fucking rapist.

Is there another kind?

:D
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Alexandru H.

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2010, 05:12:51 PM

Hetero invention... it's too perfect to be just a random disease :cry: