News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How a New Jobless Era Will Transform America

Started by jimmy olsen, February 15, 2010, 11:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on February 16, 2010, 12:14:56 PM
Maybe I'm just getting old, but I remember similar hysteria  after the early 90s recession - talk of a jobless recovery, Generation X not being able to find work, first generation to have a lower standard of living, etc.

Things worked out pretty well after that.  :)
Sort of.  Turns out, most of it was built on smoke and mirrors.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 16, 2010, 06:42:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 16, 2010, 06:11:11 PM
Why would anyone care about those states? :huh:
Florida's the 4th most populated state in the nation.
Yeah, but it's in the South, and is full of Mexicans.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on February 16, 2010, 07:10:17 PM
Do you realize how stupid you sound when you say these things.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 16, 2010, 07:12:16 PM

I assume he will reply "Cubans? Mexicans? Pah, what's the difference?"
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on February 16, 2010, 07:23:41 PM

I assume he will reply "Cubans? Mexicans? Pah, what's the difference?"
I don't disagree, it will however merely reinforce the aforementioned impression.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I'm white, comfortable, devastatingly good-looking, married and I have an IQ of 213.  I don't care what people who have none of those qualities think of me.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Neil on February 16, 2010, 08:34:39 PM
I'm white, comfortable, devastatingly good-looking, married and I have an IQ of 213.  I don't care what people who have none of those qualities think of me.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Monoriu

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 16, 2010, 04:34:51 PM

the big question is of course how long the far eastern wage-slaves will be content with being wage-slaves. Quite a bit longer given their numbers, but it won't last forever cause even numbers can't ultimately prevent wage-slaves from agitating towards not-wage-slaveism. And that's something no force on earth can prevent (not even the CCP)

Wage-slaveism is good for me. 

Jaron

Quote from: Neil on February 16, 2010, 08:34:39 PM

:lol:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas

Of course wage-slavism will not last forever and that is key to raising standards of living here and in the rest of the third world, but even if you double the current wages in the developing countries, you will still be only marginally approaching the west european levels, and only in case of white collar jobs.

This is one the reasons I hate that we have such high taxes in Hungary, btw. We have no natural resources, our agriculture is outclassed by a lot of oversea countries, our only hope is the various service industries.

Zanza

Not really related, but:
Tamas, you should move to Singapore. You would like it here. Very low taxes, not much of a social system to pay for so everybody can make his own fortune, excellent infrastructure, efficient bureaucracy, well-paid jobs, language of business is English. I think it is closer to your ideal country than the USA.

CountDeMoney

citizen k

Quote from: Zanza on February 17, 2010, 05:47:49 AM
Not really related, but:
Tamas, you should move to Singapore. You would like it here. Very low taxes, not much of a social system to pay for so everybody can make his own fortune, excellent infrastructure, efficient bureaucracy, well-paid jobs, language of business is English. I think it is closer to your ideal country than the USA.

Tamas, don't listen to Zanza. Singapore doesn't embrace civil liberties with as much enthusiasm as the USA. Come visit America before you make up your mind. I'll take you to the shooting range.  ;)

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on February 17, 2010, 05:47:49 AM
Not really related, but:

Also, fascism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

citizen k