News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How a New Jobless Era Will Transform America

Started by jimmy olsen, February 15, 2010, 11:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Using national survey data, she's found that to an unprecedented degree, people who graduated from high school in the 2000s dislike the idea of work for work's sake, and expect jobs and career to be tailored to their interests and lifestyle. Yet they also have much higher material expectations than previous generations, and believe financial success is extremely important. "There's this idea that, 'Yeah, I don't want to work, but I'm still going to get all the stuff I want,'" Twenge told me. "It's a generation in which every kid has been told, 'You can be anything you want. You're special.'"

By 1999, according to one survey, 91 percent of teens described themselves as responsible, 74 percent as physically attractive, and 79 percent as very intelligent. (More than 40 percent of teens also expected that they would be earning $75,000 a year or more by age 30; the median salary made by a 30-year-old was $27,000 that year.)

Ah, the sweet, sweet taste of hopes and dreams crushed by the cold fist of reality.

Edit:

In his remarks at last year's commencement, in May, The New York Times reported, University of Connecticut President Michael Hogan addressed the phenomenon of students' turning down jobs, with no alternatives, because they didn't feel the jobs were good enough. "My first word of advice is this," he told the graduates. "Say yes. In fact, say yes as often as you can.

lol
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 16, 2010, 02:17:25 PM

In his remarks at last year's commencement, in May, The New York Times reported, University of Connecticut President Michael Hogan addressed the phenomenon of students' turning down jobs, with no alternatives, because they didn't feel the jobs were good enough. "My first word of advice is this," he told the graduates. "Say yes. In fact, say yes as often as you can.

lol

Young People are amusing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Meh, just join the military and ride this baby out. Maybe they'll even like it and stay in. We could always use a few more flyboys or bullet sponges.

In any case, I got a decent job.  I don't love it, but I'm glad I have it. :cool:
My generation:  :lmfao:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 16, 2010, 02:28:06 PM
Meh, just join the military and ride this baby out. Maybe they'll even like it and stay in. We could always use a few more flyboys or bullet sponges.

In any case, I got a decent job.  I don't love it, but I'm glad I have it. :cool:

Many companies and bosses have a serious hard on for hiring vets. I know I do. Fuckers know to come in on time and if they can't, call in.

meanwhile, Ashleigh and River wander in an hour late and act put out if you get on their case about.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 16, 2010, 02:32:49 PM
Many companies and bosses have a serious hard on for hiring vets. I know I do. Fuckers know to come in on time and if they can't, call in.

In a past job, I had an HR person who, in the course of my initial interview, kept trying to rationalize that I was a vet because I had been in ROTC.  I kept telling her "no" to the point of nearly ending the interview, and she finally dropped it.  But I strongly suspect she went back to my application & changed my answer from "no" to "yes" for that question  :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on February 16, 2010, 12:12:21 PM
Actually, the whole process is getting much more pronounced in the IT world than most people would think, I believe.

Increasingly, I feel, that the skills of Windows server management I have picked up at work will not be so international in practice.
The future of IT would warrant an own thread, but the move into "clouds" can only increase in volume and speed, and the big IT service companies will be by all chance placed in east europe and India. With network speeds as big as they are already, and with server virtualization, there will be less and less point for any company to have their servers around locally, rather than having them administered by a big service company, who already have eastern wage slaves doing that for others, and with good skills.

The question of course, will the eastern countries manage to turn this (as the general outsourcing thingie) into a historical possibility of finally, after a thousand years, growing an own strong middle class, or it will be lost to political instability again.

the big question is of course how long the far eastern wage-slaves will be content with being wage-slaves. Quite a bit longer given their numbers, but it won't last forever cause even numbers can't ultimately prevent wage-slaves from agitating towards not-wage-slaveism. And that's something no force on earth can prevent (not even the CCP)

Crazy_Ivan80

tha tmight be an idea...

have everyone join the army, then conquer the world. By the very nature of the beast all jobs will then be national.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on February 16, 2010, 12:14:56 PM
Maybe I'm just getting old, but I remember similar hysteria  after the early 90s recession - talk of a jobless recovery, Generation X not being able to find work, first generation to have a lower standard of living, etc.

Things worked out pretty well after that.  :)
And the article says those fears were true, that those who graduated during the recession never caught up to those who graduated before or after.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on February 16, 2010, 12:12:35 PM
Try that with Florida* or Louisiana and see how far it gets you.

*While Florida uses the MBE, they have no reciprocity and don't even honor MPRE scores from other jurisdictions.

Why would anyone care about those states? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 16, 2010, 02:32:49 PM

meanwhile, Ashleigh and River wander in an hour late and act put out if you get on their case about.

You're goddamn right about that. I plan on milking my vet cred for all its worth. Fuck yeah.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Apparently, I'm now leaving whole words out of my messages now.  :lol:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on February 16, 2010, 06:11:11 PM
Quote from: ulmont on February 16, 2010, 12:12:35 PM
Try that with Florida* or Louisiana and see how far it gets you.

*While Florida uses the MBE, they have no reciprocity and don't even honor MPRE scores from other jurisdictions.

Why would anyone care about those states? :huh:
Florida's the 4th most populated state in the nation.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on February 16, 2010, 12:54:14 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 16, 2010, 12:19:18 PM
Not that we need anymore lawyers, we've got enough.
No such thing.
Sure there is.  The surplus of lawyers has been devastating to our modern society.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.