News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Fucking President's Day.

Started by Razgovory, February 15, 2010, 09:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2010, 03:54:48 PM
Fucking President's Day? So a day to celebrate Clinton, Kennedy and FDR.

Probably not the only presidents ever to fuck.  ;) Why, I bet even Lincoln did - he had kids - though I'd rather not picture it.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Strix on February 15, 2010, 04:16:46 PM
I love my Union. I get today off and a floating holiday for Lincoln's Birthday!  :showoff:

I got the same only with no union crutch. Congrats on those dues you pay sucker.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Strix

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 15, 2010, 04:54:29 PM
I got the same only with no union crutch. Congrats on those dues you pay sucker.

In or Out I pay them, so might as well enjoy the added benefits of belonging.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Habbaku

Quote from: Strix on February 15, 2010, 04:58:20 PM

:yes:  Like free market wages, for instance.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on February 15, 2010, 02:24:53 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2010, 09:50:05 AM
It is a rather useless Holiday, it is not celebrated in anyway and nothing happens except people get the day off.
They do?

Aside from the school kids I don't know of anyone getting the day off here.

My wife did.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on February 15, 2010, 04:35:56 PM

Probably not the only presidents ever to fuck.  ;) Why, I bet even Lincoln did - he had kids - though I'd rather not picture it.  :lol:
"Lonely men seek companionship. Lonely women sit at home and wait. They never meet." - attributed to Abraham Lincoln.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on February 15, 2010, 05:26:47 PM
Quote from: Strix on February 15, 2010, 04:58:20 PM

:yes:  Like free market wages, for instance.

You can learn Cantonese and go work with Mono 1.50 and hour if you like.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

in order to reduce the number of public Holidays and to prevent any other President's birthdays from becoming Holidays we created one new one between Lincoln and Washington's birthdays.
:blink:  I will never understand Americans.
Let's bomb Russia!

sbr

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 15, 2010, 10:34:23 PM
in order to reduce the number of public Holidays and to prevent any other President's birthdays from becoming Holidays we created one new one between Lincoln and Washington's birthdays.
:blink:  I will never understand Americans.

What don't you understand, the holiday that was created or the idea that they made one to prevent others?

Sheilbh

Quote from: sbr on February 15, 2010, 11:53:41 PM
What don't you understand, the holiday that was created or the idea that they made one to prevent others?
1- that you'd ever reduce the number of public holidays.
2- that avoiding more future public holidays is good.
3- that there isn't OUTRAGE about this.

I for one think that Washington, Lincoln, both Roosevelts and Reagan deserve a holiday.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 15, 2010, 02:36:55 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 15, 2010, 02:18:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 15, 2010, 09:23:48 AM
Unlike some people I won't take my inadequacies relating to yesterday's holiday out on Obama.

Sounds fun.  What did I miss?

Anywho, I'm kicking it with the wife & kid today.  I was counting on having some me-time since the wife was supposed to work & take Tommy to the sitter.  But they got snowed in, so there's no way I'm getting anything done.

Oh well, once Tommy gets his nap we're going tubing in the yard (I live on a hillside, which makes for some awesome kiddie-sized tubing/sledding slopes) & will then warm up with some hot chocolate.

I used the waste management recycling bins to make bricks for a snow fort earlier in the week. The fort still stands but needs repair.

Cute ^_^
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 16, 2010, 12:00:29 AM
1- that you'd ever reduce the number of public holidays.
2- that avoiding more future public holidays is good.
3- that there isn't OUTRAGE about this.

I for one think that Washington, Lincoln, both Roosevelts and Reagan deserve a holiday.

There was outrage at first, but now only crazy right-wingers get itchy over it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 15, 2010, 07:20:50 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 15, 2010, 04:35:56 PM

"Lonely men seek companionship. Lonely women sit at home and wait. They never meet." - attributed to Abraham Lincoln.

Lincoln would have made out like a bandit if he had access to internet dating.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on February 15, 2010, 02:24:53 PM
It is a rather useless Holiday, it is not celebrated in anyway and nothing happens except people get the day off.
They do?

Aside from the school kids I don't know of anyone getting the day off here.

I think most federal/state employees get the day off, and banks are closed.  So that's a decent # of people.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall