And we're back!

Main Menu

Earthquake strikes Chicago

Started by Caliga, February 10, 2010, 06:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Grallon on February 10, 2010, 08:24:27 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2010, 08:21:32 AM
We have had some minor tremors in Poland recently too. Maybe the Earth is falling apart. :o

It's the magnetic shift prophecized that should culminate in 2012!  :secret:

Alternately there's the theory about a micro black hole being launched against us by neighbooring aliens, that arrived in Russia in 1908 and that's about to goble up the Earth.  :cthulu:

G.
The Tunguska Event was teh result of a PKE surge of massive proportions.  The Twinkie size would be like a modern football statium.
PDH!

Agelastus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 10, 2010, 01:13:59 PM
The Tunguska Event was teh result of a PKE surge of massive proportions.  The Twinkie size would be like a modern football statium.

"Who you gonna call?"  :)

I thought it was all the fault of the Vulcans, myself.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2010, 12:47:12 PM

IIRC not all earthquakes are connected to tectonic fault lines (although the major ones typcially are).  And a 4.3 is nothing.  The Richter scale is a exponential scale, with each integer being 10x more powerful than the one before it.  Haiti was an 8, so this would be 00.01% of the power of that earthquake.

And when you look at energy release it's even worse.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on February 10, 2010, 12:08:22 PM
Blimey, I had no idea earthquakes happened there, I always thought it was nice and safe in the middle of the American plate. This New Madrid fault thing is new to me...interesting...

Same here.  <_<

I didn't feel the quake, but I was out cold. I did feel the last one (and it's tremors after).
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on February 10, 2010, 06:09:16 AM
As the theory goes we should expect earthquakes to begin migrating northward toward someplace in the middle of Canada, when they'll cease.
You know, Winnipeg could only be improved by an 8.0 earthquake.  9.0 would be even better.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on February 10, 2010, 02:06:47 PM
Quote from: Caliga on February 10, 2010, 06:09:16 AM
As the theory goes we should expect earthquakes to begin migrating northward toward someplace in the middle of Canada, when they'll cease.
You know, Winnipeg could only be improved by an 8.0 earthquake.  9.0 would be even better.

Winnipeg has some beautiful old buildings that would be destroyed in an earthquake. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Quote from: Neil on February 10, 2010, 02:06:47 PM
The floods haven't helped yet so you're probably being optimistic.

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on February 10, 2010, 01:52:44 PM
Blimey, I had no idea earthquakes happened there, I always thought it was nice and safe in the middle of the American plate. This New Madrid fault thing is new to me...interesting...

Same here.  <_<

I didn't feel the quake, but I was out cold. I did feel the last one (and it's tremors after).

You didn't know about the New Madrid fault?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2010, 12:47:12 PM
I think Cal's theory is complete nonsense, but glacial rebound that he mentions is very real.  Hudson's Bay is very rapidly (geologically speaking) disappearing as the land continues to rise.

IIRC not all earthquakes are connected to tectonic fault lines (although the major ones typcially are).  And a 4.3 is nothing.  The Richter scale is a exponential scale, with each integer being 10x more powerful than the one before it.  Haiti was an 8, so this would be 00.01% of the power of that earthquake.
It's not "my theory", but since I have no idea where I read about it in the past, I unfortunately cannot provide more details on it.  Isostatic rebound will also eventually make both the Great Lakes system and the Baltic Sea vanish.  I think it's reasonable to assume that changes in the shape of the crust/reduction in pressure on it could cause seismic activity though.  What's unreasonable about that? :unsure:  I realize you have a degree in geology and certainly know more about this topic than I do, so my question is not meant to be a leading one.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Yes, Cal, rebound does cause quakes and yes they are orders of magnitude smaller than fault line quakes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

An earth quake is just that - movement of the earth.  It can be caused by just about any large force: explosives, an asteroid, landslides, volcano, can all cause earthquakes, to name a few.

I have no problem believing glacial rebound could cause small quakes.  What it won't do is cause new tectonic fault lines.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2010, 02:13:28 PM
Winnipeg has some beautiful old buildings that would be destroyed in an earthquake. :mad:
Their sacrifice would not be in vain.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Strix

I had heard that Oprah fell out of bed. I hope she is ok?!?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2010, 02:59:02 PM
Quote from: merithyn on February 10, 2010, 01:52:44 PM

Same here.  <_<

You didn't know about the New Madrid fault?

I learned about it after the last earthquake. I mean, I'd heard of it, but didn't really understand what it was. Now I know.. and I'm not happy.  :mad:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...