News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Earthquake strikes Chicago

Started by Caliga, February 10, 2010, 06:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

4.3 on the Richter scale, occurred at 3:59am local/4:59 am EST.  Epicenter about fifty miles west of Chicago, halfway between Virgil and Sycamore, Illinois.

No I didn't feel it, but I usually wake up right at 5 anyway.

This is interesting because there is a theory that the New Madrid mid-continental fault is 'migrating' northward.  There was an earthquake in southern Illinois two years ago (oddly at almost the same time of day) which I did feel, and which actually caused some damage in Louisville.

IIRC the theory is that the New Madrid fault is related to glacial rebound, in that the middle part of the continent's crust was compressed due to the weight of ice from the last ice age, and is slowly expanding back to its natural state.  As the theory goes we should expect earthquakes to begin migrating northward toward someplace in the middle of Canada, when they'll cease.

I see from Google Earth that over the past week there have been 3-4 small tremors in the New Madrid area (~1.5 on the Richter scale), too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

Let's organize a relief effort for the poor citizens of Chicago.  :swiss:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Josephus

I'm gonna adopt some Chicago children.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

We have had some minor tremors in Poland recently too. Maybe the Earth is falling apart. :o

Grallon

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2010, 08:21:32 AM
We have had some minor tremors in Poland recently too. Maybe the Earth is falling apart. :o

It's the magnetic shift prophecized that should culminate in 2012!  :secret:

Alternately there's the theory about a micro black hole being launched against us by neighbooring aliens, that arrived in Russia in 1908 and that's about to goble up the Earth.  :cthulu:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Blimey, I had no idea earthquakes happened there, I always thought it was nice and safe in the middle of the American plate. This New Madrid fault thing is new to me...interesting...
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on February 10, 2010, 06:09:16 AM

This is interesting because there is a theory that the New Madrid mid-continental fault is 'migrating' northward.  There was an earthquake in southern Illinois two years ago (oddly at almost the same time of day) which I did feel, and which actually caused some damage in Louisville.

IIRC the theory is that the New Madrid fault is related to glacial rebound, in that the middle part of the continent's crust was compressed due to the weight of ice from the last ice age, and is slowly expanding back to its natural state.  As the theory goes we should expect earthquakes to begin migrating northward toward someplace in the middle of Canada, when they'll cease.

That can't be good for home prices.

Is that possible though? The last major new madrid quake (that i know of at least) was 200 years ago and centered in Missouri (I think). Chicago is significantly north of there. The glaciers left thousands of years ago; it doesn't seem likely that the line would move so far north so quickly.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on February 10, 2010, 12:41:11 PM
Quote from: Caliga on February 10, 2010, 06:09:16 AM

Is that possible though? The last major new madrid quake (that i know of at least) was 200 years ago and centered in Missouri (I think). Chicago is significantly north of there. The glaciers left thousands of years ago; it doesn't seem likely that the line would move so far north so quickly.

I think Cal's theory is complete nonsense, but glacial rebound that he mentions is very real.  Hudson's Bay is very rapidly (geologically speaking) disappearing as the land continues to rise.

IIRC not all earthquakes are connected to tectonic fault lines (although the major ones typcially are).  And a 4.3 is nothing.  The Richter scale is a exponential scale, with each integer being 10x more powerful than the one before it.  Haiti was an 8, so this would be 00.01% of the power of that earthquake.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2010, 12:47:12 PM
Hudson's Bay is very rapidly (geologically speaking) disappearing as the land continues to rise.

That is a tragedy for the baby seals, and the men who club them.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grey Fox

Seals are like Rats. Are Baby rats cute?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 10, 2010, 12:58:11 PM

They are cute.

Just because something's cute doesn't mean it doesn't need a good killing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: alfred russel on February 10, 2010, 12:41:11 PM

The +500 earthquakes per week have really helped to keep housing affordable in California

http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 10, 2010, 12:58:11 PM

The white furry ones are. (not imo but lots of people think so.)
:p