Evolutionary advantage of homosexuality: Super Uncles

Started by Martinus, February 09, 2010, 07:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on February 09, 2010, 06:23:22 PM
This thread got me convinced that evolution doesn't work. :(
Of course not.  'Working' would imply a goal or purpose.  The only purpose of evolution is to entertain Me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Pat

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 09, 2010, 07:39:30 PM
Quote from: Pat on February 09, 2010, 06:38:28 PM
Oh, no I couldn't do that, I always try to respect the integrity of the young women who share my company (and she asked me not to tell anyone - and I haven't! not anyone in real life, at least).

Was she a free woman?

Yes.

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on February 09, 2010, 04:42:20 PM
I find myself in agreement with CC. Human sexuality simply varies too much over time and between cultures to have any simple genetic origin.

I'm generally unimpressed with all flavours of evolutionary psychology, for the same reason. No doubt on some very basic level, human sexuality is genetic - the sex drive is very basic, after all. How it is expressed in actual behaviour is very complex, varies from place to place and over time.

Well that's probably because Evolutionary Psychology is at best bullshit pseudoscience and at worst actively harmful.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Pat

In so far as it is deterministic, it is harmful. As long as one keeps in mind that culture comes first, and biology second, it's not harmful at all. It is also a much-needed weapon against total relativism.

Queequeg

Quote from: Malthus on February 09, 2010, 06:45:21 PM

If this is a reference to the Onan story in the Bible, it is a complete misunderstanding of it.
I knew that, in the story, God is angry at Onan for not impregnating his dead brother's wife, but I always presumed that the Jews shared the early Christian "foible" about spilling seed, as "sperm is precious, and loss of it entails loss of vitality, masculinity or life force" is a pretty common belief.    Was I wrong?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on February 09, 2010, 06:23:22 PM
This thread got me convinced that evolution doesn't work. :(

If it did, Pat and Tyr would be gay, so they would not procreate.

That being said they are unlikely to ever have any sex (whether gay or straight) so maybe there is God/Mother Nature/Super-Dawkins who runs these things after all. :)
Quite amusing that you would come to say this here in reply to a post where I said that many gays get very defensive about any suggestion homosexuality may not be genetic.
██████
██████
██████

Grallon

Quote from: Tyr on February 10, 2010, 07:58:36 AM

Quite amusing that you would come to say this here in reply to a post where I said that many gays get very defensive about any suggestion homosexuality may not be genetic.

Fear of re-education HA! 

The most compelling theory I've seen is a combination between nurture and hormonal imbalance in-utero.  The main agurment was a statistical index of higher % of homosexual males in families containing several male offsprings.  If I recall correctly the idea was that the uterus, drenched with testosterone from previous pregnancies, would imprint the foetus with too much of it... 

As anecdotal eveidence I've bedded a brother whose younger brother was also gay (and cute but he escaped my grasp  <_<) - and both were between an older brother (straight) and a sister (straight).  I also know another family where 3 of the boys are gay... 

Perhaps it doesn't mean anything but I find it more plausible than blind genetics, the disease theory or the absurd 'lifestyle' accusation from conservatives....

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on February 10, 2010, 12:48:05 AM
Quote from: Malthus on February 09, 2010, 06:45:21 PM

If this is a reference to the Onan story in the Bible, it is a complete misunderstanding of it.
I knew that, in the story, God is angry at Onan for not impregnating his dead brother's wife, but I always presumed that the Jews shared the early Christian "foible" about spilling seed, as "sperm is precious, and loss of it entails loss of vitality, masculinity or life force" is a pretty common belief.    Was I wrong?

As far as I know, yes.

The 'sin of Onan' is that he cut his brother's line out of the inheritance by deliberately refusing to impregnate his dead brother's wife. There was, as far as I know, no injunction against "wasting" sperm generally in Judaism modern or ancient - the Christian sin of "Onanism" is based on a misunderstanding of the point of the Onan tale.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

grallon, perhaps this is true, but at least anecdotally I have not seen a higher occurrence of gays among multi-children families. I am the only child and many gay guys I know are as well.

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on February 10, 2010, 08:08:57 AM
Fear of re-education HA! 

The most compelling theory I've seen is a combination between nurture and hormonal imbalance in-utero.  The main agurment was a statistical index of higher % of homosexual males in families containing several male offsprings.  If I recall correctly the idea was that the uterus, drenched with testosterone from previous pregnancies, would imprint the foetus with too much of it... 

As anecdotal eveidence I've bedded a brother whose younger brother was also gay (and cute but he escaped my grasp  <_<) - and both were between an older brother (straight) and a sister (straight).  I also know another family where 3 of the boys are gay... 

Perhaps it doesn't mean anything but I find it more plausible than blind genetics, the disease theory or the absurd 'lifestyle' accusation from conservatives....
So then it's preventable?  Awesome.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2010, 08:51:19 AM
Grallon, perhaps this is true, but at least anecdotally I have not seen a higher occurrence of gays among multi-children families. I am the only child and many gay guys I know are as well.

I know - I'm an only child too - and in my biological family there are only girl siblings.  *shrug* If there's a *need* for an explanation - and judging by Neil's chronic and multi-headed fears about it there is - then one that doesn't portray me as 'sick' or 'deviant' is the one I'll choose.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on February 10, 2010, 08:24:11 AM
As far as I know, yes.

The 'sin of Onan' is that he cut his brother's line out of the inheritance by deliberately refusing to impregnate his dead brother's wife. There was, as far as I know, no injunction against "wasting" sperm generally in Judaism modern or ancient - the Christian sin of "Onanism" is based on a misunderstanding of the point of the Onan tale.

That's just silly, his brother's line is dead and the child is his regardless.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2010, 10:13:01 AM
Quote from: Malthus on February 10, 2010, 08:24:11 AM
As far as I know, yes.

That's just silly, his brother's line is dead and the child is his regardless.  :hmm:

It's a matter of adoption. The child is, legally, the dead brother's and continues the clan line.

This means that the child, if male, inherits the portion that would go to the dead brother.

In some patriarchal societies, only men have full rights of inheritance; if the man dies childless, the widow has no legal access to inheritance. A so-called "levirate marriage" is, if you like, a social safety net for her (she would naturally act as guardian for the property).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levirate_marriage

Note that as Judiasm evolved it discards the concept as unneccessary.

However, in patriachal times Onan is required by law to enter into a levirate marrage with his dead brother's wife. He does so, and happily fucks her every night (she's a beauty), but "spills his seed on the ground" - i.e., has sex with her in a way designed not to make her pregnant. His intent is - selfishness. To keep *all* of the inheritance for himself, offering her (though guardianship of her son) none at all.

That's his "sin" - basically, being a selfish asshole.

Some commentators, ignorant of this social background to the story, it is spun as being a warning that God hates wanking - "Onanism".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onanism

This is a famous complete misunderstanding. Apparently, some early Talmudic scholars came to it first, and it was then eagerly picked up by early Christians; obviously, most modern denominations of Judaism do not hold to it (there is zero biblical support for the notion) and wanking, in Judaism, is not considered an issue - though in some forms of Christianity, it is. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

I am very disappointed in you people.  A reference is made to the Monty Python classic hit "Every Sperm Is Sacred" and nobody posts a picture, a link or even a witty comment.  All you do is argue about the specifics of ancient Jewish inheritance law and whether it is prohibited to wank.

Thank God Chicago had an earthquake.  At least that thread as a chance at some entertainment value.