Evolutionary advantage of homosexuality: Super Uncles

Started by Martinus, February 09, 2010, 07:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Sparta was part of the larger Greek culture. And you'll note that while the Spartans did encourage fecundity they also disposed of a rather large quantity of the children in various eugenic measures.

Queequeg

By Midas, I meant Minos.

Traditions very often last long after they are useless, or downright harmful to a society.  Shouldn't have to provide examples of that. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Pat

Basically, Sparta filled a niche in the larger greek society. Without the wealth of the rest of Greece, there'd be no Sparta.

Queequeg

Also, CC, you may be mis-characterizing the nature of Spartan, and probably general Greek, pederasty.  It was partially considered a way to prevent young men from doing stupid shit like getting very young women pregnant; once they reached a certain age, Greek men were expected to take a wife and start pumping out babies, ESPECIALLY in Sparta.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

This thread got me convinced that evolution doesn't work. :(

If it did, Pat and Tyr would be gay, so they would not procreate.

That being said they are unlikely to ever have any sex (whether gay or straight) so maybe there is God/Mother Nature/Super-Dawkins who runs these things after all. :)

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on February 09, 2010, 05:51:50 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 09, 2010, 05:44:02 PM
I'm a huge fan of the French, Brunnetes, Alain Delon in particular, but for all his shirtless escapades in Plein Soleil, my Johnson was about as flaccid as when I watched *THAT* scene in About Schmidt. 

Conversely, I tend to avoid watching movies with Eva Green with friends unless I'm wearing the loosest possible pants.

That's an anatomic thing, not a choice. 
That would be the other definition of sexuality there, not the one that is a choice.
I'm a straight man but if I wanted to (and could find enough gay men with suitably low standards) I could start just having sex with men. I wouldn't be happy and I'd probally have to be a bottom but I'd be 'gay'.

Ooooh keeeeey  :huh: :lol:

Pat

Quote from: Martinus on February 09, 2010, 06:23:22 PM
This thread got me convinced that evolution doesn't work. :(

If it did, Pat and Tyr would be gay, so they would not procreate.

That being said they are unlikely to ever have any sex (whether gay or straight) so maybe there is God/Mother Nature/Super-Dawkins who runs these things after all. :)

Sorry to disappoint you, but last time I had casual sex was about week ago. With a very good-looking 19 year old girl.

Queequeg

19 is the hottest age, so I think I speak for everyone when I say pics or it didn't happen.

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on February 09, 2010, 06:18:14 PM
Also, CC, you may be mis-characterizing the nature of Spartan, and probably general Greek, pederasty.  It was partially considered a way to prevent young men from doing stupid shit like getting very young women pregnant; once they reached a certain age, Greek men were expected to take a wife and start pumping out babies, ESPECIALLY in Sparta.

My guess is that Spartian pederasty had much to do with its military culture and little or nothing to do with population control.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Pat

Oh, no I couldn't do that, I always try to respect the integrity of the young women who share my company (and she asked me not to tell anyone - and I haven't! not anyone in real life, at least).

Queequeg

Quote from: Malthus on February 09, 2010, 06:38:12 PM

My guess is that Spartian pederasty had much to do with its military culture and little or nothing to do with population control.
Well, that too, obviously, and I very seriously doubt it had a major effect either way, at least one that wasn't offset by the Spartan expectations baby-wise.  We, unlike the ancient Hebrews, know that sperm isn't some sacred substance that cannot afford to be wasted or misused for non-procreative sex. 

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on February 09, 2010, 06:42:34 PM

Well, that too, obviously, and I very seriously doubt it had a major effect either way, at least one that wasn't offset by the Spartan expectations baby-wise.  We, unlike the ancient Hebrews, know that sperm isn't some sacred substance that cannot afford to be wasted or misused for non-procreative sex.

If this is a reference to the Onan story in the Bible, it is a complete misunderstanding of it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Queequeg on February 09, 2010, 06:18:14 PM

exactly so.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on February 09, 2010, 06:45:21 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 09, 2010, 06:42:34 PM

If this is a reference to the Onan story in the Bible, it is a complete misunderstanding of it.

He was actually referring to Monty Python and got confused between Catholics and Hebrews.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Pat on February 09, 2010, 06:38:28 PM
Oh, no I couldn't do that, I always try to respect the integrity of the young women who share my company (and she asked me not to tell anyone - and I haven't! not anyone in real life, at least).

Was she a free woman?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?