And we're back!

Main Menu

Hobbies

Started by Sheilbh, April 04, 2009, 10:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on April 04, 2009, 03:51:48 PM
Have you ever curled Sheilbh?
No.  When I lived in Scotland, which is when I started watching it, the nearest ice rink was, like the nearest cinema/bowling alley/everything about 2-3 hours away :(

I've always liked watching it.  If there were a Bristol Uni Curling Club I'd probably join.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Well it depends how you define a "hobby". I've seen people mention stuff like books or games - for me these would be past-times or interests, rather than hobbies.

That being said, I am unable to come up with a good definition of a hobby that would exclude these activities. But on the other hand, if reading books or playing games counts as a "hobby", then so should, say, watching tv, and there we would have made the term meaningless, no?

I'd say a hobby should involve some measure of collecting stuff or some sort of money investment that goes beyond an ordinary interest.

Brezel

Classical guitar. 

The Brain

Quote from: citizen k on April 04, 2009, 02:21:18 PM
Painting 6mm figures for Warmaster Ancients.

Start a thread in the gaming forum and post pics etc FFS.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Playing electric guitar, painting toy soldiers, history.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on April 04, 2009, 05:33:57 PM
Well it depends how you define a "hobby". I've seen people mention stuff like books or games - for me these would be past-times or interests, rather than hobbies.

That being said, I am unable to come up with a good definition of a hobby that would exclude these activities. But on the other hand, if reading books or playing games counts as a "hobby", then so should, say, watching tv, and there we would have made the term meaningless, no?

I'd say a hobby should involve some measure of collecting stuff or some sort of money investment that goes beyond an ordinary interest.

Marty: hobby buzzkiller
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on April 04, 2009, 05:33:57 PM

Er, you do realize that just doing something doesn't make it a hobby? I think that people are perfectly able to determine what their hobbies are. Watching TV can certainly be a hobby.

citizen k

Quote from: The Brain on April 04, 2009, 06:51:19 PM

I have some archers and Tarantine cavalry to paint then I'll be taking some pics of the whole army.

The Brain

Quote from: citizen k on April 04, 2009, 07:02:18 PM

I have some archers and Tarantine cavalry to paint then I'll be taking some pics of the whole army.

Good. I have the rulebook and have toyed with the idea of building an army.

citizen k

Quote from: The Brain on April 04, 2009, 07:12:30 PM
Quote from: citizen k on April 04, 2009, 07:02:18 PM

Good. I have the rulebook and have toyed with the idea of building an army.

Stayed tuned. A miniatures thread will be coming to a gaming forum near you.

BuddhaRhubarb

hmmm my hobbies ebb and flow, last few years have seen a resurgence of my old hobby of table top rpg- ing specifically D&D but my current most regular game is a Mutants & Masterminds campaign (Bedlam City) .

If reading counts then I read a lot of fiction, mostly Canadian. I consider my writing to be more than a hobby despite my slowness of publication, it's more of a calling.

I was really into photography in Japan and a year or so after, but my interest has waned but I think I'm getting a new camera soon, and that will spur some activity. It's one of my goals to try more and more "hobbies" I don't need a life time pursuit beyond writing, but if you don't try stuff for awile then you'll never find out, either way.

:p

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Galrion

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2009, 10:59:49 AM
Do you have any?

Two of the guys I live with are very into (and quite good at) photography.  For me I've accidentally got very, very into baking.  I make an amazing white loaf and one day my brioche will be perfect.

Today I'm starting my sourdough starter and a 'monastery bread' which is wholemeal and full of oats.  Once the sourdough starter's done I want to make a few Irish sourdoughs and then move onto PUMPERNICKEL! :o

Incidentally it's also cheaper and tastier than my normal bread habits.  I've always been picky about bread so I spent quite a lot on it to begin with (Warburton or bust).  Now I'm under 50p a loaf.

What is the recipe for the monastery bread?  It sounds interesting. 

Siege

Languish is my only hobby.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Syt

I like drawing fantasy maps (not alt-hist maps) and coming up with histories/backgrounds for them. I even bought me the campaign Cartographer software for that.  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.