News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Anyways, Olympics were much more interesting when they were about East vs. West. These days it's a cuddly lovefest that makes Disney movies look dark and gritty.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Btw, whatever happened to the old medal tables? Gold = 5 pts, Silver = 3 pts, Bronze = 1 pt?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: katmai on February 27, 2010, 12:29:14 AM
It's so cute when Canadians Try to be smug. Still 13 medals behind USA.

It's also just as cute when Americans pretend that anything but 1st place actually means anything to them. We're America and finishing 2nd or 3rd is what we are all about! :rolleyes:

:p
:p

katmai

QuoteThe Americans reached 34 medals with a silver and a bronze in short track speedskating Friday night, and two more were clinched with the men's hockey team and men's team pursuit in speedskating advancing to a gold-medal match in which they can get no worse than silver.

That makes 36 medals, topping the U.S. record of 34 set at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics and matching the record for the most by any country at any Winter Olympics, set by Germany in Salt Lake City.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Cecil

Quote from: katmai on February 27, 2010, 12:37:49 AM
QuoteThe Americans reached 34 medals with a silver and a bronze in short track speedskating Friday night, and two more were clinched with the men's hockey team and men's team pursuit in speedskating advancing to a gold-medal match in which they can get no worse than silver.

That makes 36 medals, topping the U.S. record of 34 set at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics and matching the record for the most by any country at any Winter Olympics, set by Germany in Salt Lake City.

Not that hard to do considering they have added a lot of stuff over the last 20 years. Still I had no idea Germany was that good, wonder what all those medals came in.

Syt

Quote from: Cecil on February 27, 2010, 12:55:29 AM

Not that hard to do considering they have added a lot of stuff over the last 20 years. Still I had no idea Germany was that good, wonder what all those medals came in.

Luge, bobsled, cross country, biathlon, usually. This year trade bobsled for alpine (2 golds). Our speedskating girls used to be good.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Cecil

In other news it seems our ladies team won the gold medal in curling beating out Canada of all nations.

Still a silly sport though.

Cecil

Quote from: Syt on February 27, 2010, 12:58:08 AM

Luge, bobsled, cross country, biathlon, usually. This year trade bobsled for alpine (2 golds). Our speedskating girls used to be good.

Hah for a supposed winter nation we dont even have a single luge or bobsled track.

sbr

Quote from: Syt on February 27, 2010, 12:58:08 AM

Back when they were really men?

Eddie Teach

The US has over a thousand Olympic golds, Germany has only half that and is also behind the Russians. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 27, 2010, 01:04:27 AM
The US has over a thousand Olympic golds, Germany has only half that and is also behind the Russians. :contract:

Summer Games.  :rolleyes:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Cecil

sbr

Quote from: Syt on February 27, 2010, 01:05:56 AM
Quote from: sbr on February 27, 2010, 01:02:10 AM
Back when they were really men?

Like Anni Friesinger?

I was referring to the East German women, I was told they all had beards.

jimmy olsen

Talk about excitement :perv:

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/blogs/postblog/2010/02/emergency-shipment-of-condoms-headed-to-olympic-athletes.html
QuoteRowdy curling crowds; spontaneous street parties; public drunkeness. You don't have to look far for evidence that the crowds at Winter Games in Vancouver know how to have a good time.

And, as if anymore proof is needed that a wild Olympic atmosphere permeates B.C.'s largest city, now there's an apparent condom shortage.

That's right. As you read this, an emergency shipment of condoms is desperately making its way across Canada to the West Coast city.

Health officials in Vancouver have already provided 100,000 free condoms to the roughly 7,000 ahtletes and officials at the Games. That's about 14 condoms per person. But as of Wednesday, those supplies started running dangerously low.

So naturally, the Canadian Foundation for AIDS research decided to step and make sure there were no hitches in Olympic action.

"When we heard about the condom shortage in Vancouver, we felt it important to respond immediately," said Kerry Whiteside, CANFAR's Executive Director. The organization assembled three large boxes of about 8,500 condoms, much to the relief of libidos at the Olympic Village. They're expected to arrive on Thursday.

Free condoms first started to be distributed at the Olympics in Barcelona at the 1992 Games. This appears to be the first time that a shortage has struck the Games.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point