News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU3: Comments?

Started by Habsburg, April 03, 2009, 09:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

EU3 Complete has made EU2 too primitive for me to go back. For example, I can never go back to suffering from having no scripted generals, dynamic core/culture gain/loss, rebel-types, etc.

Razgovory

I hated the Scripted generals.  I always had like six when I wanted peace and none when I was at war.  Very annoying.  Worse when you played a minor.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I was just playing a game.  Ended up with a weird situation.  Two Popes.  Neither one is the papal states they just have the papal type government.  Both protestant and my vassels ( I released everyone I could to see what it would look like).  This was my "Evil England" game where I conquered most of Europe and ruthlessly destory the Catholic Church.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

I think that's just showing religion returning to its natural state :p
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

So I bought EU3 Complete on an impulse when I saw it in the FLGS.

Knowing Paradox products I know its important to patch.  In order to patch I have to register.

For the life of me I can't find a CD Key to install with.   :huh:  It's not on the CD itself.  There's no real manual, only a big map.  And no key on the map.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2009, 08:25:32 PM
For the life of me I can't find a CD Key to install with.   :huh: 

Suck.  Post at ol' Paradox and see if they can help you out would be my guess.

Barrister

Found it.  There was an inset that had in big bold letters at the top "5 steps to get your free digital copy online".

And in small print at the bottom "use the same code to register your game on the paradox forum".

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2009, 08:45:47 PM
Found it.  There was an inset that had in big bold letters at the top "5 steps to get your free digital copy online".

And in small print at the bottom "use the same code to register your game on the paradox forum".

Congrats.  Don't forget to install the 3.1 official patch, the 3.2 beta patch, and then delete everything in the map\cache directory.

Barrister

Will do.

SO is there anything that an experiences EU2 player, but totally new to EU3, should know about how to play?  What is the single biggest difference, for example?

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2009, 10:48:01 AM
SO is there anything that an experiences EU2 player, but totally new to EU3, should know about how to play?  What is the single biggest difference, for example?

I don't remember EU2 all that well, but I believe the biggest difference is that your armies are made up of 1000-man regiments.  If not completely destroyed (by losing all morale in the first 5 days of combat against a larger force, or by being attacked by a 10 times larger force), they will replenish themselves from your manpower pool over time (at a rate which varies by location; highest in your owned territory, lowest in enemy territory with no connection to controlled territory, and so on).

Also, those regiments are made of preferred unit types.  You should change your preferred types as new units become available (all of your units of the old type will be upgraded for free, but will have their morale reset to 0 temporarily).

And, finally, not all rebels are destroyed when they lose a battle.

Barrister

You know I can't help myself - I really want to play the Byzantine Empire. :blush:

I remember it was a right bitch to save Byzantium in 1419, but it could be done with some moderately gamey tactics.  How about with this 1399 start?

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2009, 11:44:16 AM
I remember it was a right bitch to save Byzantium in 1419, but it could be done with some moderately gamey tactics.  How about with this 1399 start?

You can do it from the baseline 1399 start with luck (part of which is hoping Tamurlane stays alive for a while to keep killing the Ottomans in the West).  If you get lucky enough, half of Greece will revolt against the Ottomans and defect to you.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: ulmont on April 24, 2009, 11:50:52 AM

You can do it from the baseline 1399 start with luck (part of which is hoping Tamurlane stays alive for a while to keep killing the Ottomans in the West).  If you get lucky enough, half of Greece will revolt against the Ottomans and defect to you.

build up that fleet asap to prevent the ottomans from bringing the bulk of their army into europe and you have a chance...

ulmont

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 25, 2009, 03:11:03 PM
build up that fleet asap to prevent the ottomans from bringing the bulk of their army into europe and you have a chance...

Inflation is your friend.

Neil

You know I can't help myself - I really want to play the Byzantine Empire. :blush:
Has Jaron hacked your account?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.