News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU3: Comments?

Started by Habsburg, April 03, 2009, 09:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Going to give MMP a spin again. Couple of questions.

Is it necessary to start in 1453 (as MMP recommends), would starting in 1399 break too many things?

Any tips for Muscovy, especially for crushing Lithuania (as you cannot form Russia otherwise)?

Grallon

Quote from: Solmyr on April 06, 2009, 06:49:02 AM
Going to give MMP a spin again. Couple of questions.

Is it necessary to start in 1453 (as MMP recommends), would starting in 1399 break too many things?

Any tips for Muscovy, especially for crushing Lithuania (as you cannot form Russia otherwise)?

I had constant crashes when I started in 1399.  The whole mod was designed with 1453 in mind.  Perhaps they'll adapt it for the 1399 start date with MMP2.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Caliga

I haven't played it in a few months, but I started a game or two of the Ottomans in 1399 and it didn't break anything, although expect it to be quite difficult to hold on to eastern Anatolia once Timur shows up (as was the case historically, I guess) if you play the Turks.

I can't remember if I started as Muscovy in 1399 or 1453 but I found that the Khanates were overpowered and overly-aggressive, to the degree that playing Muscovy was difficult at best... though I did smash Novgorod without much problem.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Grallon on April 06, 2009, 06:54:06 AMI had constant crashes when I started in 1399.

Interesting.. never had a single one.

Solmyr

Thanks, I guess I'll stick to 1453 with MMP and play 1399 if I do vanilla at some point.

For Muscovy, last time I tried it Kazan DOWed me off the bat but I managed to deal with them via my massive hordes of cheap infantry, so it wasn't too bad. I also reduced Novgorod significantly but then they allied with Poland-Lithuania which seem to be impregnable for Muscovy, making forming Russia historically by mid-1500s seemingly nearly impossible. Poland also loves to crush the Teutons and/or Bohemia early, removing any possible competitors for it in the region.

Tamas

Kazan is a bitch in vanilla as well, IMHO this is the chief reason we very rarely see AI Russia forming.
I mean, even MMP gave up on it, and has an event which just handles the provinces over to Muscowy if it hasnt conquered it by date X.

Caliga

:yes:

The central asian Khanates always seem to be greatly overpowered in EU3 and its descendants.

Solmyr

I'm guessing it's because they have the Muslim tech group, which puts them on the power level of Ottoman Empire. They should probably be in Confucian or Pagan (or whatever it's called in EU3) tech group instead. After all they were backwards like hell.

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on April 06, 2009, 08:16:23 AM
:yes:

The central asian Khanates always seem to be greatly overpowered in EU3 and its descendants.

I never understood: they don't mind cropping up France to show vassals, or do the attrocity of having an independent Transylvania, yet they don't want to divide these khanates into vassals (pull names out of their ass if its needed). I bet those semi-nomad horse-eaters were far more decentralized than contemporary France.

ulmont

Quote from: Solmyr on April 06, 2009, 08:21:33 AM
I'm guessing it's because they have the Muslim tech group, which puts them on the power level of Ottoman Empire.

No, the Ottomans are generally in the Orthodox tech group with Russia and Lithuania and the like, and the steppe Muslims (plus the North African Muslims) are one step further down in the Muslim tech group.

Solmyr

Is there a "columbus" cheat in EU3? I want to try a handsoff game at some point and observe the entire world.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: szmik on April 04, 2009, 01:23:10 PM
whack-a-mole with rebels/enemies is far too annoying for my taste  :mad:

Ah, so like EU 2 then.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Galrion

Quote from: Grallon on April 06, 2009, 06:54:06 AM

I had constant crashes when I started in 1399.  The whole mod was designed with 1453 in mind.  Perhaps they'll adapt it for the 1399 start date with MMP2.

G.

Started in 1399 with MMP and haven't had any crashes yet. 

Habsburg

Okay, so there innit much doubt I'll get it.

Will likely wait until I buy a new PC 3Q or 4Q '09.

saskganesh

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 06, 2009, 09:11:43 AM
Quote from: szmik on April 04, 2009, 01:23:10 PM
whack-a-mole with rebels/enemies is far too annoying for my taste  :mad:

Ah, so like EU 2 then.

well they had daily rebel threats, which got patched in (1.09?) to monthly. much more manageable.

heh. I have eu2 loaded in case I want to try a CK export, but havent played it; largely because the exports need serious editing.
humans were created in their own image