News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Brand affiliations and you

Started by Capetan Mihali, January 27, 2010, 11:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Crest toothpaste, Diet Pepsi, Speed Stick, Gilette razors, Delta Airlines, AT&T, Nokia phones
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on January 28, 2010, 11:46:32 AM
-Old Dutch potato chips

Oh yeah, definitely Utz potato chips and pretzels for me.  Though I'm trying to lay off them for the time being, I will always choose Utz over any of its crappy competitors.  :mmm:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: C.C.R. on January 28, 2010, 12:38:31 PM
My only real "image" (or lack thereof) oriented product loyalty is, of course, Pabst Blue Ribbon.  Beyond that there are a variety of products which I use constantly because I like them (Crest toothpaste, Speed Stick deodorant, Marlboro Light cigarettes, 7-Up, Wrangler jeans, etc) but "image" doesn't even enter my mind when purchasing & using these products (which is what I interpreted the original post to be asking for).  They are just personal preferences that I have developed over the years as a result of trial & error...

I wasn't thinking of purely image-oriented things alone... just general "brand loyalty" I guess. 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on January 28, 2010, 11:46:32 AM
Yes, I suppose on reflection, I have an affinity for Apple Inc.

Hell, they made at least one sale because of you - namely, mine.  :D

You should charge commission.  ;)

For myself, I'm not particularly brand loyal.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Other than Apple, probably not per se. I however have a long list of brands I boycott, for various reasons (usually to do with politics etc.)

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on January 28, 2010, 06:50:49 PM
Other than Apple, probably not per se. I however have a long list of brands I boycott, for various reasons (usually to do with politics etc.)

Please list so I can start supporting them.

:)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Brand loyalty is for chumps.  That said:

(yes, old people make mighty tasty sausage)

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Caliga

Made right by me in Shelby County.  By Mexicans.  From Old Folks.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on January 28, 2010, 07:53:00 PM
Made right by me in Shelby County.  By Mexicans.  From Old Folks.

As long as it makes my gravy tasty, they could make it from Hobos.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2010, 11:51:43 AM
British Petroleum gas stations.  I gas up at the one here because it's a block away, on the road I look for BPs cuz they seem to keep their bathrooms clean.

Since Cal hasn't asked yet, how's their food? :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on January 28, 2010, 06:50:49 PM
I however have a long list of brands I boycott, for various reasons (usually to do with politics etc.)

Alright, let's hear it.  I could use a good laugh.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 28, 2010, 07:23:22 PM
Quote from: Caliga on January 28, 2010, 07:22:04 PM

(yes, old people make mighty tasty sausage)

yum.

:lol:  I remember seeing that in WV, and of course we have it at Kroger here in Cincy.

Syt

A brand loyalty of mine was destroyed yesterday. For 3+ years I've done most of my shopping at a supermarket that was near my house, conveniently on my way to/from work, and with good selection and prices. They've had security dudes standing near the cashiers for a while now, which is unsurprising considering what kind of folks sometimes linger around the subway station in front of the supermarket.

I often stopped there to pick up a bite for dinner (like last tuesday), and I did my weekend groceries shopping there.

Yesterday evening, though, I noticed that they had remodelled the entry area slightly (instead of two "gates" from cashier area into the supermarket they had only one), but went in as usual. I've barely made it beyond the entrance to the market area when I hear "No bags!" shouted behind me.

I turned around and the security guy waves me over, "No bags!" He held out his hand demandingly For a moment I was confused, thinking that maybe he wants to check the contents of my backpack (something that some supermarkets do at checkout). He took it and wanted to put it into one of the currently not used cashier stalls.

I asked him, "Excuse me, what are you doing?" His curt reply, "Later!" At that moment I realized I was supposed to leave my backpack which contains my netbook, cellphone, passport, apartment keys and a few items more under his watchful eyes, while I picked up a sandwich for 2 EUR.

I asked him to please hand me back my bag an declared loud enough for some cashiers to hear that I would take my business elsewhere, and that after three years as loyal customer I didn't feel like being treated like a shoplifter.

I sent an email to the corporation, complaining about the unfriendly behaviour of their security dude and that I was disappointed that they have obviously made mistrust a ruling principle when dealing with customers. I also informed them that I would return my customer card because of the incident, explaining I wouldn't be able to conduct much business with them anymore, if 80% of the time I went there I would have to leave 1000 EUR worth of stuff (I exaggerated) at an unguarded chashier's booth while picking up a 1 EUR item.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.