A question about Mass Effect 1. Or better, some questions about it.

Started by Pedrito, January 27, 2010, 09:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

Is it a shooter with RPG elements or an RPG in which combat is played in real time?
I want the ability to pause during the combat to issue orders, is it possible?
Do I need to play with combined mouse and keyboard controls, or can I use mainly mouse controls?
Do I have the ability to zoom out the area, like in Dragon Age, or the game has a third-person perspective from behind the shoulders of the main char?
Is it worth to play it before ME2, or should I pass and play directly ME2?
ME1 or KOTOR or KOTOR2?
Other worthwhile RPGs in the 2003-2009 time range?

I was forgetting: I'll play on a reasonably specced PC.

:)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Valmy

Quote from: Pedrito on January 27, 2010, 09:33:56 AM
Is it a shooter with RPG elements or an RPG in which combat is played in real time?

The first one.

QuoteI want the ability to pause during the combat to issue orders, is it possible?

Yes...though it is different than Dragon Age...you issue orders but the AI still controls the companions.  I found the system rather difficult to use myself and just let them sorta take care of themselves but that could just be me.

QuoteDo I need to play with combined mouse and keyboard controls, or can I use mainly mouse controls?

Combined mouse and keyboard.

QuoteDo I have the ability to zoom out the area, like in Dragon Age, or the game has a third-person perspective from behind the shoulders of the main char?

The second one.

QuoteIs it worth to play it before ME2, or should I pass and play directly ME2?

If you have not played ME1 yet I would get both and play straight through.  However ME2 is a bit less of a RPG and more of a shooter.  Just FYI.

QuoteME1 or KOTOR or KOTOR2?

Different games IMO.  KOTOR and KOTOR2 are definitely classic RPGs like DAO while ME1 is an action hybrid.  I think they are all very good but...be careful about KOTOR2 I think it is wonderful but it is a flawed masterpiece.  It could have been one of the greatest games ever but they released it before it was done and it will remain forever as something half done.

QuoteOther worthwhile RPGs in the 2003-2009 time range?

Dragon Age? :P

Bethesda games and Jade Empire.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Pedrito

mmmm I think I'll pass: I hate hybrid action and RPG  <_<
That's why I steered clear from Bethesda games, although they're usually regarded as very good games  :cry:

thanks for the info, and yes, I hate quoting too  :P

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Grey Fox

Hey Pedrito, how did that Home Theatre situation work out for ya?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Pedrito

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 27, 2010, 09:47:00 AM
Hey Pedrito, how did that Home Theatre situation work out for ya?

Well damn I forgot it! You were right in solving my problem!
I found in the box an addendum of a couple of pages to the manual that explained extaclty how to connect a game console via component cable, just like you said in the thread.

You are hereby awarded a Pineapple Pizza Slice for taking the pain of registering to the Yamaha website and solving a problem a lazy fellow Languishite wouldn't solve.
:hug:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

DisturbedPervert

On the PC, Neverwinter Nights 2 and The Witcher

Pedrito

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 27, 2010, 09:57:01 AM

On the PC, Neverwinter Nights 2 and The Witcher
Witcher falls in the "action-RPG" category I don't like
I' should try NWN2, it may be my cup of tea

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Grey Fox

Quote from: Pedrito on January 27, 2010, 09:56:28 AM
You are hereby awarded a Pineapple Pizza Slice for taking the pain of registering to the Yamaha website and solving a problem a lazy fellow Languishite wouldn't solve.
:hug:
L.

:bowler:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Pedrito on January 27, 2010, 10:02:50 AM

It's similar to Dragon Age, so if you liked that you will probably like NWN2.  Can play with only the mouse, can zoom out or play 3rd person, lots of interesting characters to join your party, interesting and long storyline, can pause combat to issue orders and put them in a queue, huge list of spells and abilities you can use, lots of different classes, and lots of different locations to visit and explore.  It's great.  And the first expansion pack, Mask of the Betrayer, is almost as good as the original game.  Didn't like the 2nd, Storm of Zehir, at all however.  There was no story at all, very dull.

Josquius

So its more a shooter huh?
I may have to get the 360 and not the PC one then...
██████
██████
██████

Pedrito

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 27, 2010, 10:41:54 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on January 27, 2010, 10:02:50 AM

It's similar to Dragon Age, so if you liked that you will probably like NWN2.  Can play with only the mouse, can zoom out or play 3rd person, lots of interesting characters to join your party, interesting and long storyline, can pause combat to issue orders and put them in a queue, huge list of spells and abilities you can use, lots of different classes, and lots of different locations to visit and explore.  It's great.  And the first expansion pack, Mask of the Betrayer, is almost as good as the original game.  Didn't like the 2nd, Storm of Zehir, at all however.  There was no story at all, very dull.
:shifty:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Syt

Hm, Mass Effect 1 was action-y, but even I, who sucks at shooters and other action games or RTS, did absolutely fine (on easy level). I think it fit in well with the sci-fi plot (though the excessive amount of rover driving in side quests was a bit much).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: Syt on January 27, 2010, 11:23:35 AM
Hm, Mass Effect 1 was action-y, but even I, who sucks at shooters and other action games or RTS, did absolutely fine (on easy level). I think it fit in well with the sci-fi plot (though the excessive amount of rover driving in side quests was a bit much).
Especially up sheer cliff faces.  Ugh.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on January 27, 2010, 11:23:35 AM
Yeah, thats what my friend moans at me when I consider getting the 360 version, he played it but found the rover stuff to ruin the game.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!