News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Suggest a country to play in EUII

Started by dps, February 15, 2010, 07:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

OK, I just finished a game as Lithuania, and started a new game as Vijaynganer (or however you spell the dang place) but I'm not really into it.  So give me some advice on a different country to play.

I've played most of the big European powers a lot, so I'm kind of tired of them.  I've also played the Ottomans, Timurids, Mamluks, and Golden Horde recently, so I'm not really keen on playing them again right now.  I would kind of like to play a Southeast Asian or Indian nation, but every time I've tried, their slow tech progression has made me want to tear my hair out (which is why I'm not satisfied with my current game).  I've played the Ming several times (tough not recently) and as Japan.  I don't want to play a pagan nation, or a OPM or TPM, since the things you have to do to get ahead have always struck me as too gamey and exploitative. 

I didn't buy HttT, so I'm playing IN with the latest patch.  No mods.

Grey Fox

Can you play as one of the First Nations of America?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

You mean EUIII right?

HttT is pretty awesome in my opinion.

What about the Byzantines? They start out a two province minor, but given the Ottoman's Timurid troubles, they're in position to rapidly make a comeback.

EDIT: He said no Pagans Grey Fox.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

I second the "you meant EU3 right"?

I loved 2 for it's time, but 3 plus expansions blows it out of the water.  By the way - HttT is worth the money.

Some suggestions: you've played the major Euro powers, what about the smaller players (but not quite OPM/TPMs)?  Denmark, Scotland, Hungary, Bavaria (though it might be only 2 provinces), papal states?  Big enough to not be too gamey, but still pretty small, and you need to think on your feet.

What about an African nation?  Ethiopia will have poor tech, but isn't pagan.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

He says in the post he's playing IN so of course it's EU3 you goofballs.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

I second BB's recommendation to pick up HTTT.  It makes the game a million times better and it's only $10.

Regardless, even if you don't want to make the expenditure, I think Bavaria is the way to go.  They have four provinces that are fairly rich and can intervene a lot in the stuff that goes on around them.  In addition, they stand a good chance of eventually becoming Emperor, which will really allow them to throw their weight around.  You'll also be in prime position to engage in a lot of religious wars with other German powers in the 1500s or so, should you wish it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

sbr

Quote from: katmai on February 15, 2010, 07:56:34 PM

But the title says EUII, to be fair.

katmai

Quote from: sbr on February 15, 2010, 08:22:31 PM

Yet is one reads the post then there is no doubt to which version, so are you calling Timmay and Beeb illiterate?

sbr

Quote from: katmai on February 15, 2010, 08:34:47 PM
Quote from: sbr on February 15, 2010, 08:22:31 PM

Yet is one reads the post then there is no doubt to which version, so are you calling Timmay and Beeb illiterate?

Yet if one loses interest in the OP, and either misses or skims the last sentence one might not catch that he was talking about EU3.

katmai

I would never do that to the OP of a thread, so you sir are a horrible human being!

dps