News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

French Report Calls for Ban on Veil

Started by Savonarola, January 26, 2010, 10:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

I think it's a terrible idea, but France is free to do whatever they want in their country.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Jaron

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 26, 2010, 09:39:03 PM
I think it's a terrible idea, but France is free to do whatever they want in their country.

Would you say France has that...right? ;)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

ulmont

Quote from: Jaron on January 26, 2010, 09:48:05 PM

:lmfao:

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Jaron on January 26, 2010, 09:48:05 PM

No, they're usually more on the left.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on January 26, 2010, 05:49:38 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 26, 2010, 03:46:04 PM

What I welcome in that development is that it does not acknowledge that religious expression should get a special treatment, compared to any other form of expression. All should be treated equally and subject to such restrictions in the name of the public order that are deemed necessary.

In France, or any other free country, you can typically do as you please unless there is a compelling public interest otherwise. It seems that a type of attire is getting special treatment because people don't like the religion it represents.

No, they don't like the subjugation of women it represents. I find this reason to be more compelling than, say, banning women from going topless in public. It seems the French public agrees. Vive La France!

Martinus

Quote from: Josephus on January 26, 2010, 09:03:45 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 26, 2010, 07:18:48 PM
I think it's pretty funny that so many people are up in arms over the French government's attempts to ban certain Islamic practices, but don't mentioned anything about the imprisonment or death sentences imposed on individuals who dare attempt to try the same thing with western garb in some Islamic countries.

Because that's a given.
These Islamic countries don't go about pretending to be democratic and liberal. They're a shithole to live in, especially if you're a woman, we all know that.

But France is supposed to be better than that, and obviously it isn't. What about all that shit about , Libertie, Fraternite, Egalitere etc.

And yeah, I know my French bites.

So according to you no liberal democracy can make any restrictions about what people could wear in public?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on January 26, 2010, 10:32:58 AM
That would be a rather ridiculous thing.  Even in the North African countries where most Muslim immigrants to France come from the veil is not worn that often.

But then I think banning it in schools was silly.

For the schools, the pupils are minors and the shit started with it then went on with islamists refusing sports/whatever PTI for the girls on religious grounds, then the studies of the Crusades (evil infidel agression) and last but not least the Final Solution since it's Jewish propaganda. Useful idiots on the left generally sided with the islamos such as Ségolène saying Japanese cartoons were more dangerous than the islamic veil :D I eagerly await her opinion this time. Thanks to the law, the cases dwindled so the fundies are having another try since they failed previously.

Notice how your beloved Turkey bans even veils in the universities though it might change soon with the islamist government...
The issue has not been reported very well it seems. First, the veil is increasingly worn in Morocco and Algeria, not in Tunisia where, guess what, it's banned in some cases...

Second, it's not your average traditional North African veil, it's the NIQAB or BURQA (the ninja or kunoichi-like outfits) which prevent identification. These veils are not used in North Africa, only by Wahhabists and in Afghanistan.
In my area of Paris, I only see them worn by Persian Gulf tourists women who carry the kids and luggage while the husband wearing western clothes just strolls but in other areas it's not the case...

Alatriste

If liberal democracies are defined by not interfering with the garments citizens wear or not, then going naked everywhere should be legal... either that, or there are no liberal democracies.

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on January 27, 2010, 02:35:34 AM
I think it's pretty funny that so many people are up in arms over the French government's attempts to ban certain Islamic practices, but don't mentioned anything about the imprisonment or death sentences imposed on individuals who dare attempt to try the same thing with western garb in some Islamic countries.

Because that's a given.
These Islamic countries don't go about pretending to be democratic and liberal. They're a shithole to live in, especially if you're a woman, we all know that.

But France is supposed to be better than that, and obviously it isn't. What about all that shit about , Libertie, Fraternite, Egalitere etc.

So according to you no liberal democracy can make any restrictions about what people could wear in public?

I fear this is much different than that. Using your previous examples, a ban on not running around topless on the street or without pants makes sense because it is universally applied and, for 99% of the population, universally unacceptable to run around half naked. This ban targets a very specific portion of the French population. To me it is the same as if a government was to ban wearing white shirts knowing full well that only Mormons wear them ( just a bad example ). This is not a righteous protest. It is discrimination for the sake of conformity.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Alatriste

You could equally say anti-nudism laws target specifically leftist environmentalists, you know...

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 27, 2010, 02:35:34 AM

Because that's a given.

Maybe he thinks that liberal democracies shouldn't pick on minorities.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Because that's a given.

:lmfao:

You cultural relativists are actually worse than the Taliban. They don't know any better, while you should.

France is "obviously no better" than countries where women are stoned for being raped?

Are you insane, man?

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 27, 2010, 02:31:04 AM

No, they don't like the subjugation of women it represents. I find this reason to be more compelling than, say, banning women from going topless in public. It seems the French public agrees. Vive La France!

Maybe we should ban bras and women's razors because they also represent the subjugation of women.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on January 27, 2010, 06:49:57 AM
Maybe we should ban bras and women's razors because they also represent the subjugation of women.

That's about empowerment of women, you douche.

Razgovory

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 27, 2010, 03:02:20 AM
Ségolène saying Japanese cartoons were more dangerous than the islamic veil :D

This however is probably true.