News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

French Report Calls for Ban on Veil

Started by Savonarola, January 26, 2010, 10:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I think it's pretty funny that so many people are up in arms over the French government's attempts to ban certain Islamic practices, but don't mentioned anything about the imprisonment or death sentences imposed on individuals who dare attempt to try the same thing with western garb in some Islamic countries. 

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 26, 2010, 07:18:48 PM
I think it's pretty funny that so many people are up in arms over the French government's attempts to ban certain Islamic practices, but don't mentioned anything about the imprisonment or death sentences imposed on individuals who dare attempt to try the same thing with western garb in some Islamic countries.

That sucks too. But why post something for which everyone has the same opinion and that isn't a new situation?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on January 26, 2010, 07:23:26 PM

That sucks too. But why post something for which everyone has the same opinion and that isn't a new situation?

Because I like calling Islamopologists on the carpet.  Especially the Islamopologists that Islamofascists still want to kill.

Ed Anger

I can't stand Iranapologists. Which is why I hope the mullahs kill the "reformers", then get bombed back to the stone age for 1979.

America Wins.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: ulmont on January 26, 2010, 07:01:18 PM
Really, it's not worth arguing with Grumbler on this point.  I would note that the Treaty of Westphalia specifically mentions rights that States have.

QuoteLXIV.

And to prevent for the future any Differences arising in the Politick State, all and every one of the Electors, Princes and States of the Roman Empire, are so establish'd and confirm'd in their antient Rights, Prerogatives, Libertys, Privileges, free exercise of Territorial Right, as well Ecclesiastick, as Politick Lordships, Regales, by virtue of this present Transaction: that they never can or ought to be molested therein by any whomsoever upon any manner of pretence.
I know that you are not putting forth this argument honestly and that it isn't worth arguing with you on it, but do you propose (1) that the Treaty of Westphalia is still valid, and (2) that its enumeration of the "rights" of states is complete: to wit: "that they never can or ought to be molested therein by any whomsoever upon any manner of pretence" is a full and complete enumeration of the rights of states (as well, of course, of Electors and Princes, and that (3) the rights of the states of the Holy Roman Empire apply by some form of osmosis to all states?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

I think it is pretty funny that those so quick to leap to the defense of the French government themselves don't mention anything about the imprisonment or death sentences imposed on individuals who dare attempt to try the same thing with western garb in some Islamic countries.

Maybe, as AR points out, that is because the topic is old and tired and there isn't anything new to say about it?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

ulmont

Quote from: grumbler on January 26, 2010, 07:45:00 PM
I know that you are not putting forth this argument honestly and that it isn't worth arguing with you on it

I think you're projecting again.

Quote from: grumbler on January 26, 2010, 07:45:00 PM
do you propose (1) that the Treaty of Westphalia is still valid, and (2) that its enumeration of the "rights" of states is complete: to wit: "that they never can or ought to be molested therein by any whomsoever upon any manner of pretence" is a full and complete enumeration of the rights of states (as well, of course, of Electors and Princes, and that (3) the rights of the states of the Holy Roman Empire apply by some form of osmosis to all states?

The concept of sovereignty as expressed in the Treaty of Westphalia - to wit, that states have all power within their borders and no power without - is still core to the understanding of international law, yes.  As to the idea that rights of states in the Holy Roman Empire apply by osmosis:  your contention is that "states" can have no rights.  As such, any recognition of a right held by a state demonstrates your argument's flaw.

Slargos

He got you there, grumbler.

Where's the popcorn smiley?

Actually, looking again, he said "don't have rights" and a 400 year old document does not disprove that statement.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on January 26, 2010, 07:46:41 PM
I think it is pretty funny that those so quick to leap to the defense of the French government themselves don't mention anything about the imprisonment or death sentences imposed on individuals who dare attempt to try the same thing with western garb in some Islamic countries.

Maybe, as AR points out, that is because the topic is old and tired and there isn't anything new to say about it?

Your Jedi grumbler tricks won't work on me.

ulmont

Quote from: Slargos on January 26, 2010, 07:58:03 PM
Actually, looking again, he said "don't have rights" and a 400 year old document does not disprove that statement.

Yes, yes.  Unless I come up with something posted today, it won't disprove that statement either.

I will note that Thomas Jefferson said "Every nation has of natural right, entirely and exclusively, all the jurisdiction which may be rightfully exercised in the territory it occupies."  This was 1793, showing the sovereignty concept had held up over 100 years from Westphalia.

And was still good in 1933, with the Montevideo convention:
QuoteThe political existence of the state is independent of recognition by the other states. Even before recognition the state has the right to defend its integrity and independence, to provide for its conservation and prosperity, and consequently to organize itself as it sees fit, to legislate upon its interests, administer its services, and to define the jurisdiction and competence of its courts.
http://www.taiwandocuments.org/montevideo01.htm

The Minsky Moment

States have power and states have authority, but I agree with grumbler that it confuses terminology to ascribe them "rights".  The fact that one can cite hortatory examples from various historical documents doesn't really refute the point.  The "right" of a state to be free from molestation is nothing more than a statement of the conditional whim of its neighbors not to molest it, which is really not a right at all.  To say a state has the "right . .  to organize itself as it sees fit, to legislate upon its interests, administer its services, and to define the jurisdiction and competence of its courts" is simply to state the tautology that the state is a state and has the sovereign attributes of one.  A state organizes itself, etc. not by virtue of some "right" to do so, but because it has the power to do and to prevent some other entity from interfering.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Slargos

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 26, 2010, 08:30:40 PM
States have power and states have authority, but I agree with grumbler that it confuses terminology to ascribe them "rights".  The fact that one can cite hortatory examples from various historical documents doesn't really refute the point.  The "right" of a state to be free from molestation is nothing more than a statement of the conditional whim of its neighbors not to molest it, which is really not a right at all.  To say a state has the "right . .  to organize itself as it sees fit, to legislate upon its interests, administer its services, and to define the jurisdiction and competence of its courts" is simply to state the tautology that the state is a state and has the sovereign attributes of one.  A state organizes itself, etc. not by virtue of some "right" to do so, but because it has the power to do and to prevent some other entity from interfering.

By that same reasoning, people don't have rights either.

To nail down this issue, I think "rights" needs to be defined a lot more sharply than it is at the moment.

Jaron

being or located on or directed toward the side of the body to the east when facing north
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Josephus

Because that's a given.
These Islamic countries don't go about pretending to be democratic and liberal. They're a shithole to live in, especially if you're a woman, we all know that.

But France is supposed to be better than that, and obviously it isn't. What about all that shit about , Libertie, Fraternite, Egalitere etc.

And yeah, I know my French bites.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Eh, just some more ammo to use against our enlightened Euro pals when they get uppity about human rights.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017